Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Variable speed not working bobcat 610

Justin93CAT · 2020-01-20 06:37

I bought a bobcat 610 recently and the main problem is the variable speed doesnt work, it’s stuck in low gear. The owner told me the shieve wobbled in the past and broke the belt but didn’t say if it was the drive or driven shieve. I greased the driven shieve so I hope that fixes the problem. I didn’t see a grease zerk for drive shieve. When I push the variable speed handle forward it makes a loud noise and engine dies. Does engine need to be at full idle when I try to engage. Will someone tell me the procedure to shift into high gear. What normally causes these things to not work. I hope I don’t have to replace drive shieve because it looks hard to remove and expensive. Someone please educate me

Replies1
  1. #1Steve Z2020-02-08 11:18

    Go to the Melroe Bobcat forum. There is some good discussion on the variable speed drive there. I pull mine all the way back, into what would be neutral, to start the machine. Let it warm up, part throttle, get the machine moving, full throttle, then push the variable speed handle forwards until it is going at the speed I want. Much like a snowmobile, except you have two controls to synchronize.