Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vent/air bleed wire location on DBGFCC431–30AJ pump

mjk27435 · 2023-03-28 23:14

Hi all, I am new to the posting on here and even working on diesels. I have many years of gasoline cars, and am very mechanically inclined. I see years and years worth of experience reading through all the posts. This pump comes off a 1968 Case 580CK 188 diesel if you need application information. I did search for this particular subject but kept coming up with DB2 pumps, from my understanding, that is not what I have, despite seeing so many internal similarities. The question I have is where does the wire go on the head. I have seen it called an "air bleed wire/vent". It has been apart for a few months and another person took that particular thing out, I have no problem with the rest of the assembly. There is one slotted plug, and two tiny Allen wrench plugs as seen in the photos. I have taken several photos hopefully to assist you in assisting me. I have rotated the head for a better look for you folks. I believe the wire came out of the one labeled #2 in the photo, both the small holes around the 2'Oclock orientation take the tiny Allen head plugs, the larger hole around 10 O'clock is the slotted, nothing came out of the one at 9 O'clock but could be wrong, that's my question to you folks if you would be so kind. I have to say that these things are amazing for being that olda nd having the tolerances they have. Thanks again

Replies5
  1. #1ILuvNkdChx2023-03-29 19:21

    The 36:00 minute mark should be what you need.

  2. #2mjk274352023-03-29 19:52

    Wow, I totally forgot about his video mentioning that wire. I have been subscribed to his channel for some time, and he to mine. I actually watched that video before and it slipped my mind. I really appreciate you bringing that to my attention. People are saying that there are two wires in that same hole, the "large wire 3/32 x 1 5/8 and according to Badger Diesel there is a wire below that about 5/8 inch long and half the diameter. Badger Diesel said that they are a pain to get out because they get a curve to them, and the tool to remove it is pretty much useless. I would really like to get it out, he said that it probably won't make a difference.

  3. #3mjk274352023-03-29 21:03

    I always join forums like this to learn, to appreciate the knowledge of other and hope one day to learn enough and be able to give back. I initially joined this forum to see if someone could possibly help me located where the air/bleed vent wire went, as I did not do that part of the disassembly. @ILuvNkdChx and @thepumpguysc were kind enough to chime in an offer their knowledge, for that I thank you. To add to my confusion, I was told that there were 2 wires, but I only had 1, I was concerned for sure. Once I found out that they both went in the same hole, and that one was just a mere 5/8 inch long, I had to see if I had missed it some how. @BadgerDiesel if you are in here, thanks for the confirmation that it was indeed in there and a royal pain to get out information. I had to do something to get this out. I worked in an operating room for just over 15 years and often find myself using techniques that we employ in the operating room. So I thought I could use a small piece of tubing to allow this smaller wire to go up into it and I could remove it, but was afraid I may scratch something internally so I had to see what I had one that would fit and secondly not do any damage. What I came up with is the red stray that we often use for such things as carb cleaner and brake cleaner. Was it going to work, I had no idea, it easily fit in the hole. So I took the straw and with a decent amount of pressure, shoved it down and gave it a few good twist and pulled it out, not expecting anything. I was absolutely amazed when I removed that straw and the wire was inside the straw about 3/16 of an inch and required a little twist to get it out. I really hope this helps others when it comes to removing that second wire. The second wire is indeed 5/8 of and inch long and 1/128 inch (.0525) diameter. Thanks again everyone for your help, I hope I have helped someone as well, and I am sure I will once again seek the knowledge of the people again before it all said and done.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2023-03-29 23:25

    Run the wire thru your fingers to check for burrs.. if u feel any run it thru your wire wheel.. that’ll take the mushroom off the ends w/o going to the grinder.. How are u going to seal the threads on the screw plugs.?? It’s important that u do that..

  5. #5mjk274352023-03-30 00:06

    If I remember correctly someone recommended the Green anaerobic thread locker, but I am certainly up for suggestions. Thanks