Hello I will be getting out of the Marine Corps in July and going to school for cranes when I get out, Heavy equipment operating is what I currently do for the Corps. The school I will be going to offers Crane License with NCCO, but it also offers backhoe, skid steer,road grader, skip loader, track excavator and truck excavator, dozer , earth mover and wheel loader licenses. I mainly want to be a crane operator but not sure if I should just go ahead and get all of those licenses as well just to open up more job opportunities are are there plenty of crane opportunities out there ? my next question I have is what is the job market like for crane operators ? I am originally from Utah but it snows 4-6 months of the year so not a lot of work. my wife and I don't want to stay in California we have been looking into Arizona,Phoenix, Las Vegas and Texas what states would you suggest ? I am open to any state just trying to go where the opportunities are to make some money and get experience in the crane field. Thank for your time and hope this is the right spot for this post.
No other advice, just a thank you for your service.
Dittos Thanks for your service. Cranes is likely where the money is...
Welcome to the Forums Masonp!:drinkup Thank you for your service. :usa The Texas market is still going strong from what I hear despite the slowdown in the oil industry. The Gulf coast region from AL to TX has a lot of industrial work coming up that will require crane ops.
Where ever you go it may pay off to check the local operating engineers and ask about there veterns program. With your background it will give you a leg up if there is any demand for operators. You may have to start on different machinery but a chance for a crane job will come around. The more equipment you can run expertly the more valuble you become. Always important when work slows down and hands must be laid off.
Yeah Masonp . I would closely research the 3 areas you mentioned first . Do you have kids or looking at possibly starting a family ? Check out School systems , day care , etc . Look cost of living in each area to help make the decision . My advice would be make sure you like & enjoy the area where you will be moving to & working . I'm pretty old school , would probably pick up a phone book from each city & start looking a the crane companies . After viewing websites hop on a plane for a visit to the places of most interest & make decision off of " Boot's on the ground " feeling . Las Vegas http://www.yellowpages.com/las-vegas-nv/crane-service Phoenix http://www.yellowpages.com/phoenix-az/crane-service Houston http://www.yellowpages.com/houston-tx/crane-rental Good luck with the new venture & move .
https://www.helmetstohardhats.org/ Hope this helps!
Being a veteran is definitely something you have going for you, still mucho respect for veterans in all the trades. :usa
As a vet, I would strongly endorse Texas. No income tax, no unions on most jobs, and a fair cost of living. Austin is crazy on property values but, 30 minutes in any direction and you are back in the sticks.
I talked to some people from work and they were saying Houston would probably fit my life style better what do you think ? I dont mind driving 30 mins or so to a mall i like to be in a somewhat small town but still like my wal mart and necessity stores to be some what close you know ?
Thank you all so far for all of the tips and advice much appreciated and will be put to good use.
Houston is a nice town from what little I've. seen. Lots of diverse types of work there.