Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vibration in third and fouth gear

hankobc1 ยท 2011-02-01 13:03

Took my 310c backhoe down the road a short distance to do snow removal. While traveling in third and fourth gear. I noticed a vibration similar to a universal joint that was shot. Any help or advice would greatly appreciated. Hank

Replies12
  1. #1Auctioneerhere2011-02-01 13:24

    Stay in 2nd...check your drivetrain...Is it just frozen tires?

  2. #2jwar1002011-02-01 18:45

    might be frozen liquid in the tires. some people put liquid in them for weight and better traction just like on farm tractors.

  3. #3Deon2011-02-01 19:21

    Frozen tires should make it hop as the liquid if frozen to the tire will severely unbalance the wheels. You could have a bad drive shaft U-joint or a bent FWD drive shaft. To determine if the shaft is bent, lift the machine well off the ground with your stabilizer pads and front bucket, put her in 4 wheel drive, 1st gear, let her idle and get out to look under the machine and watch the driveshaft go round and round. Its safer with a helper, then you can stay in the machine. Drive shafts get bent by hanging up the machine on rocks, stumps etc. Good luck

  4. #4Deere John2011-02-01 21:38

    My 310C does the same thing for the first number of miles. It must be tires, as it lessens as everything warms. I've checked it over too, and u-joints, drive shafts and wheel bearings seem fine.

  5. #5hankobc12011-02-02 12:00

    Deon thanks for the advice. I'll be checking the u-joints and drive shaft shortly. All four tires have tubes, Had a couple flats last summer know signs of water or rusting of rims. I have been to Nova Scotia beautfull country up there. Thanks agian. Hank

  6. #6Deon2011-02-02 14:29

    hankobc1, If your new to backhoes and tractors, just the way the rear tires wear with slants on the threads can make a vibration while driving down the road. All hoes i've ever driven will vibrate a bit with 1/2 worn rear tires. Anything inside the cab like the backhoe and loader controls can vibrate. That is normal.

  7. #7Deere John2011-02-02 15:31

    ............. and the cab further accentuates those vibrations. The windows, door and fan will rattle more.

  8. #8El Hombre2011-02-02 15:46

    Probably nylon cord in the tires, that has a reputation of taking a "set" when it's parked for a while. It'll have a flat spot until the tire warms up and the nylon relaxes.

  9. #9hankobc12011-02-02 16:24

    I was using the machine the day before for six hours clearing snow for an early start on a building lot. Tires are worn past 50%, Drive side more. I rember my 39 Chevy with bias ply tires thumping on cold winter mornings. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Will post findings. Thanks again Hank

  10. #10deer702011-02-02 23:15

    sorry new to forum can't post new thread. thinking of buying case 1979 580c backhoe with broken con rod, can engine be removed without splitt,ing tractor, ie, stands and rolling tractor apart, I was a jd mech 20 years ago but never worked on case, rebuilt lots of diesel engines , just need info on how hard to remove engine. just need this machine for work on hobbyfarm. Thanks!. PS old backhoes are not cheap in manitoba

  11. #11troyharnish2011-02-04 18:04

    Hey, Deer70! Welcome to the forums. To start your own thread, you need to post 3 messages... Go to the test section of the forums, and post 2 or 3 messages to any thread, log out then back in, and you are a full member! to answer your question, it looks pretty straight forward to take the engine out of a 580K, I am sure the C is the same (someone correct me). I have the service manual for the K if it helps, I can e-mail you the section on engine removal and installation. No deals on backhoes in MB, huh? Supply and demand, I guess. Lots of farmers looking for a TLB to work around the farm. I am quite a bit luckier in NB. You can get a decent Case 580K (4X4) for around $12,000 in these parts.

  12. #12Newbie0072024-02-22 21:49

    Hank, Did you ever find the source/cause of the vibration in 3rd and 4th gear? I drove my 310C today on a long flat dirt road and after I put in 4th gear noticed vibration when the RPM went above 1800 or so. It would do the same in 3rd gear, but not in 1st or 2nd gear. The vibration seemed to be coming from the engine, not the tires (a lot higher frequency than tire rotation). My machine is 2WD, farm machine with only occasional use, 3590 hours, new front tires, very worn rear tires. Thanks