Another question from a novice. I originally wanted to get a screener that could handle gravel material and topsoil. I now found out I'm not allowed screen gravel as it is considered mining and will get MSHA involved. I don't want to do that. So I guess I'm going to be screening primarily topsoil. But I won't say that a little bit of gravel may get screened at times because it is allowed for one's own personal use but not for sale. Topsoil is considered reprocessing and not mining. Goofy. But anyway. What is a better system for mostly topsoil but sometimes a gravel product? Trommel or vibratory with a grizzly? I would like one with a discharge conveyor. What is a good model of either a trommel or a vibratory with screen decks? I can't afford new so I will be looking at a used one. I have bigger loaders so I guess that should be kept in mind. I have 950s up to 988. Even if I just need to use half the bucket of the 988 if that's the machine that is available. Thanks again for the input
Have a look at Royer, they do topsoil, and maybe handle gravel. They make some pretty small ones, might be the right size for you.
I liked my Royer 366 for topsoil given that your starting with decent material. definitely a no go for gravel.
I am thinking, possibly a smaller, used "Screen Machine". It would work, with the correct deck setup.
I believe powerscreen made a decent entry level machine, most powered by little Deutz TCD 4 CYL. Not a lot of electronics to go bad. They are offered with Grizzly prescreening and I think you can have 2 screen beds. Depending on the model. That's just one product off the top of my head. I don't believe MSHA has to get involved unless you are working virgin materials. I got crews up n down the highways reclaiming material, never had MSHA on site (to my knowledge) If you're not extracting material from the Earth, why would they care. I would directly enquire with them. Find out what you can and can't do. It would suck to lose out over a misunderstanding.
You are correct about not wanting to screen sand and gravel. If you are pulling virgin sand and gravel out of some type of excavation, MSHA will consider it "mining". MSHA is actually not that bad to deal with. In fact, I worked closely with MSHA for 20 years, and would much prefer working with them and not OSHA. However, I fully understand why you do not want to get involved with MSHA and their regulations and inspections. I mention Powerscreen, as I see a number of their machines listed in used equipment websites at reasonable prices. That little Deutz they used, is nearly indestructible if maintained, and sips fuel.
We have an extec 5000. It's done a lot of topsoil. Rock , sand, milled asphalt. They bought a new tracked screener last fall. Never was near it no idea the brand. I hear they like it.
@MattR , what did you end up getting for a screener? I'm contemplating buying a small screener for topsoil and am also wondering about the different pros and cons of trommel vs vibratory. I've rented a couple vibratory screeners but never used a trommel type.
Well I haven't bought one yet. But after doing a lot of research, especially for topsoil, I think the trommel is the way to go. I'm heavily leaning towards a Vermeer Try5300. Good used one of course