Hi. Not new to heavy equipment but new to screeners. I understand that topsoil can be screened nicely. I've bought a lot of it. But can a person make a relatively close material to a 21A or 22A gravel? Obviously without the fracture. I'm trying to look into buying or renting one machine to make several products. And The crushers in my area require such a high minimum that it's hard to afford. The material wouldn't be on state projects just private driveways and such so fracture isn't mandatory, although I do understand it makes for a better anchoring product. What is the experience on this? Thank you
I've used some screened (not crushed) material on driveways. It's terrible unless the driveway is perfectly flat. And don't try to plow it when it snows. It'll all plow off like marbles. In my opinion, screened stone is fine for drainage, but for driveway surface or any surface that's not level, I would only use crushed material.
What kind of rock is 21A or 22A? Those are regional terms.
Well I just found out I can't screen my own rock anyway. I can screen topsoil but I'm not allowed to screen rock out of my own pit. Unless I get MSHA certified. And I'm not interested in opening that kind of worms. So I guess I've just got to find the money to hire The crushers. Screening topsoil is considered reprocessing. Screening rock out of the pit is considered mining. I never would have guessed it.
I have a friend, with a half ass screening set up for bank run gravel. If you put enough of it down, it will lock together pretty good, for a rough driveway. I won’t pay anything for it though, pain in the ass to work with. He seems happy with it, I hate driving on it.
Thank you for taking the time to reply