Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vintage Lull 400/7C2, owners manual for those who want it!

gdonovan ยท 2012-05-26 18:21

Hello! My name is Gary and I'm in the process of building a steel garage. Last weekend a contractor was suppose to drop off his Lull and was a no show! By a wild stroke of luck I found this one on Craigslist and dragged it home the next day for a very reasonable sum of cash. I'm tight for time as I'm on vacation and need to get this building up by June 7th. I'm guessing it is 68-73 vintage based on the casting number of the Mopar 225 CID slant six. I'm assuming its a 400 or 7C based on the fact that it actually came with a sparse operators manual which I'll be uploading shortly. I say sparse because it tells you to see control panel to see how the controls work which is a bit of a problem as the labels are all long gone or painted over!! Even the machine tags are gone, I could find nothing with identification. Some questions- 1) How do you check the ATF for the torque converter? I see no dipstick! 2) How about the "drop transmission"? 3) Where can I find a spin on trans filter or hydraulic system filter? This poor machine has the originals!!! 4) I'm unsure what the lever does to the right of the trans forward/reverse selector. I leave it in the bottom position. I tried different spots once or twice and it seems to drop it into a very low gear but not always. I suspect the trans is low and don't want to burn anything up. Thanks for your input! I really like this rig and I think I'll put my sons on it this summer painting it and getting it working 100% My first big piece of equipment and since it is Chrysler powered I think I'm going to keep it which makes the wife roll her eyes but agrees it is very handy to have about. Gary Donovan

Replies4
  1. #1gdonovan2012-05-26 18:26

    Here is the link to the manual that was included with the machine- Scanned in this morning, pages cleaned up a bit in jpg format and zipped up. http://www.thedodgegarage.com/downloads/lull_400_manual.zip Gary

  2. #2gdonovan2012-06-05 06:12

    Ok, I figured out the ATF and did a change (no dipstick, it uses a level port a few inches above the drain port) and I figured out that the lever to the right is for manual gear selection while the vehicle is in motion. Had no luck so far on the trans filter, someone suggested it is a Parker AT50 filter, need to find a local Parker dealer and see if it matches up. Looks like a 1 1/2" thread with 3.5" OD gasket which has a tapered surface. Gary

  3. #3bigtrac2014-05-05 18:23

    your machine looks just like the one i have.. i dont know much about it and i tried to use the link you posted to get the manual but i keep getting 404 - File or directory not found. my lull says its a 400b 1979 model ,and im not sure what the difference would be..if you still have that manual could you email it to me,or update the link to it?

  4. #4gdonovan2014-05-18 07:26

    Today is your lucky day, I have re-uploaded the file to the link above. I say luck since I still have a copy, everything else I had accumulated for the Lull had been deleted since I sold the unit a year or two ago. I don't even have the log in for this site written down, more luck I was able to guess my login password. As an update to the shifter picture above, the Lull has/had a manual shift 4-speed "automatic" transmission. The lowest position was first gear, the next up second and so on. You have to start always in first and then manually ratchet up and down through the gears. At 30 mph it was quite the ride! Was a good unit, served me well building my garage and last I knew off in RI somewhere, new owner was very happy with it. Gary