Hey folks, how about a thread on the older Macks, pre-CL-350. Lots of LM's and LJ's were used on Vancouver Island. If you have any photos of the LMSW's or LJSW's or B's or LRVSW models or others, Post em here. I'll start with a couple of trucks seen at the Sept. 2010 MacLean Mill meet. I've wanted to see a LMSW for years, this was a real treat for me to see one - Thanks HDX, fantastic restoration. Am I correct in assuming it is the only preserved LMSW logger?? The LJ has also been well restored. Seeing them at the same show was pretty special. If anyone has shots of vintage Macks in the logging industry, please post. Trakloader had a couple of shots some time ago of a LRVSW rigged with a spar, I'll see if i can find some other LRVSW shots. The shots were all taken at the MacLean Mill.
OK, for some reason the shots of the LJ did not post. I'll try again.
Beautiful trucks!
Truckmodeler, Thank you for compliment. Yes Port Alberni has the ONLY two restored LMSWL and LJSW Macks that we know of I am HAYES through and through but sure have a soft spot for the old LM
I've always liked the look of the LMSWL. It just looks like it means business. Looks like a big, powerful off-road hauler, ready to go to work and haul far more than it should. In my opinion, one of the truly classic truck designs. The LJSW looks great as well but I think its the off-set cab of the LMSWL that does it for me. Regards.
Nice pic. and thanks
Here are a few pics of a Mack B615 I found on VI summer 2010. I'm pretty sure it will be restored
I thinik that's the first 60 series B Model I have seen with twin stacks. Must have been a later version with a blower.
How about some off-highway B Model pics?
Vigilant There was some B61s used off highway/Highway up here although not a lot There was a few B87s with 12:00X24 tires Maybe Hayeslogtruck has a couple pics he could post of them His dad owns the LJ and also restored the B61 Mack pictured above Very nice jobs on both
10-4. Thanks. The few B Models I drove were pretty cramped for space. At 6'4, I had to do some folding up to get situated. Once I got my butt planted, all was well. I believe the first R Models came out in about 1965 or 1966. I drove several different trucks of that vintage, some with Duplexes, and some with Quadruplexes. Also, one nice 1968 R Model with a 270 V8 and a Duplex. That was one sweet old truck, except for the lack of a Jake.
Saw a old Mack up here with a molded chrome nameplate on each side that said BCR and it took some time to find out what it was all about It meant B model converted to an R model so it was an old B model but updated to the R model body. I was really impressed by that. Dont know if that was very common or not but there she was. In hindsight I should have taken a picture of that thing. OH WELL
Weyerhaeuser in Washington and Oregon had a bunch of B's then R's later. They were glider kit fanatics at Weyco and it makes me wonder if some of these rigs I saw in the 70's may not have been converted from B's? Goodness knows they stepped over dollars to save dimes all the time- this sounds like something they'd have done for sure!
CL: Did you know Milt Emerick at Vail? I believe he ran a lot of gliders.
BTW, one of the things that bothered my dad the most back in the day was people who could not, or would not, spell the Weyerhaeuser name properly. Needless to say, since my dad was my hero, still is, and always will be, I got that right at about age 12.
Emerick had off-highway trucks at white-river ( weyco) in the mid 70's. I think he put a glider or two together while there. one of the guys that built the kit later became a shop supe at the kenworth dealer in Midway (seatac)
I have heard of some shops that could kit a truck out completely in a day. Too bad FET killed gliders so quickly. It was a pretty sweet deal for a while. I heard that back in about the mid Seventies, some whizz bang nerd with the IRS tried to bill Emerick for highway use tax for every gallon of fuel he bought when, as far as I know, he ran at least mostly off road. I recall that he had to jump through a whole lot of hoops and sweat a good bit before he convinced them that he did not owe them one thin dime. I saw one of his trucks at Vail when I was there in 1995, an ex-Weyco off-highway C500. I would be surprised if he was still going today.
COOOOOLLLL!!!! Not many Macks here in Cali to peruse. You guys are really lucky as far as I am concerned.. My favorite thing to look at is old boneyards and you seem to have many. NOTHING and I mean almost nothing left to peek at here in the SF bay area. I drive 100-300 miles to see ANY old machinery. I assume "dirt" around here is worth too much to keep "junk" around.
A friend of mine has a BCR. I'm told that Mack made a kit where you could put a R model cab on a B model frame. Like was said earlier, the B model cab was really cramped for space and that seems to have been the reason for doing it. I will try and get some pic of it to post.
here in the bay area dirt is worth to much and so is scrap. I seen a lot of good iron go to the scrapper for those two reasons
oh beautifull!!!!!my softest spot is for old macks
I will own a "B" someday.Post what you can.I love macks.I did alot of hydroseeding at the Headquarters landfill in an old superliner.We also went way in the hill above there seeding cutbanks for them.Good times.
Hey Excavator...... do you have any pics of that BCR? My granddad was a Mack dealer and I remember those back from my young days but have NO pic of any. When the R models came out it was a cheap way to update to a R model and BCR kits sold well according to my grandfather.
Here's a couple of heavily modified Mack LRVSWs which Norie Logging had. They had purchased a couple of the LRVSW dump trucks from Eastern Canada (reportedly from the St Lawrence Seaway construction) and modified them into logging trucks. As you can see they were big and packed a lot. Modifications included moving the cab forward. I don't have much on this re-build but there was an ad in an early 1960's Lumberman magazine briefly describing the extent of the re-build. I'll see if i can find it again. As best i can tell from the photo, one of the trucks appears to have been re-built with some form of half-cab. Note the single wiper and single windshield panel. Contrast that to the other truck with two windshield panels and wipers. Also, the 'half-cab' unit has a different style of headache rack and a self-loader trailer. These were big rigs for their day and pre-dated the HDX and P-16. Nories claimed they were the largest log trucks at one time. No idea if that is true but they were big. Apparently they were very heavy on maintenance and were eventually replaced by Pacifics. If anyone has any further info on these it would be great to find out what happened to them. These photos are from the Elwood White collection and were acquired by Elwood from Frank Norie.
a rare find,nov 2010
Neat, you should post that old LRSW on here, too. Not many of them left in BC.
If any one out there would like pics of restored Macks please email me and I can forward them to you and you can select them. Most are from th 2010 Pleasanton Ca ATHS show and Plymouth Ranch gathering A few w a patina on em but most are looking better than new. I am not A Mack buff so dont know too much but I have at least fifty pics to share. 100s and 100s of vintage west coast rigs as well.
Here is a 59 B61 that Whittington Brothers bought new, it had 58,000 miles on it when it got water in the oil. They parted it out to keep their 1958 lowboy truck running. I bought it in the late 80's to keep it from being scrapped.
Former Spar Carrier Mack LRSW,so I'm told,i cant confirm it.pics from nov 2010
This truck carried a 90ft Madill for Roy Doyle Logging in Sechelt
Not a very good picture here of this LT Mack but it is the only one I have. The fellow who owned it had bought it new, he never liked having his picture taken and when asked what year his truck was would always tell people a differant year. This picture was taken in the mid 90's not too many years later he quit and sold his truck to a collector on the east coast. Only a few years ago I saw pictures of it in a truck show, miss seeing that old truck really miss Earl.
NEAT LONG LOGGER!!! Can ya tell us anything about the powertrain? 2sixbit Cummins? by chance
Originally I think Earl said it had a 200 cummins, that got replaced with a 335 that was in it when he sold it. It had Mack trans and rearends electric scales and an old featherweight General trailer.
Great lookin rig!!! I was at the ATHS show in Pleasanton this year and A fella outta the K-Falls area brought A bunch of Macks down that were truly perfect restos of west coast jobs... Had like six trucks there that were PERFECT!! Also had A yellow and white logger that was A one owner unrestored Mack that the guy I talked to said was gonna stay exactly as it was found.. REALLY COOL MACHINE
Here are some more Macks, the first one was mine the rest just ones I'd seen over the years and liked.
I am A true Kenworth NUT! But the third picture.... I wish I had it!!! That would be so cool to bring back among the living!!! Killer Dawgs Jr!!
Could of had an LT a number of years back,just no where to put it at the time.It belonged to a jypo logger out of Enumclaw Wa.I be it still there,I think he is gone though.Man I wish I had it!
Mack NO arch truck Revelstoke 2010
Mack owned by Osbourne Logging Sechelt. Picture taken in Narrows inlet 1953
1953 Mack rock truck Taken at rbauction this spring.Part of G.W. Cox and Sons Logging gear.350 cummins,5 &4 trans,sold for $2500
battered and beat but god...thats beautifull....id PROUDLY drive that anywhere i see a work horse with history thats got another 100 years of service left in her
This is one of a kind! It's W71 Mack western model - only 215 were made. Sleeper cab was added/build on afterwards it left the factory. I am pretty sure it did not start it's life as a logger. It´s all most seems it was some kind of preloader with those fenders. Pictures were taken at Mr. Browns (Mr Mack) place in Washington way back in 1980.
ive seen that cab and sleeper configureation a handfull of times...but that tail end is really....odd.....but what a sweetheart of a mack...and one of those trucks i refuse to call a coe..its a forward controls no doubt but just feels like its only half a coe with that lil nose out ther
I have A couple of pics of this cab style Mack from the ATHS show in pleasanton that was owned by A fellow from Klamath Falls Or, that has it in I assume way better than it ever left Mack condition. My email is [email protected] if yer interested I would be glad to share! I do not pics on flicker yet as I am lazy so I can't post here
id LOVE to see em..mom spent her teen years in klamath falls..me ive always been in the portland area drop em up on phobucket or something..or shoot em my way [email protected]
B-Mack logger Great old find.Taken the other day. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Outstanding! Pretty sure that's an off-highway truck, even though it displays a tag, after a fashion. B-87?
Skadill; great find. She is a beaty. Hopefully she will be saved and restored. Vigilant: I dont think she is a B87(not that many build) more likely a B81 or B83(Mack engine)
Was the only real difference between the B81 and B83 the engine? Seems like I heard the B81s came with a 220 Cummins and a Jake. As primitive as the B Models were in some ways (IMO), including cab space, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for them. From the photos, this one appears to be well-preserved. Like you, I hope she can be brought back to life and restored. This is a really nice find IMO.
After a quick search, it looks as though the B81s came with at least three options: 673, 673T and 220 Cummins. I don't claim to be any type of expert, but I have heard that the 220 Cummins was popular out west due to the availability of a Jake. Seems like I have seen some of the later 673s with a Jake. Not sure about the 711.
The B-81 as far as I know had the Mack engine.The B-83 had the Cummins.The B-87 was the Mack 864 V8 I think. The truck in the picture might have been a B-80 as the top tank on the radiator was flush with the hood.The tank on the rest of them was elevated for more capacity.Ron G
I know the owner of this truck and I'm pretty sure it ended up with a 335 cummins
RonG, you I right(I am getting old.. LOL..) B81 had the Mack engines and B83 had Cummins or other makes different from Macks own engines. But I am still pretty sure it's a Diesel, but hopefully Skadill had a good view as usual and can tell what engine she has..
B Mack Another oldie taken on a previous iron trip in nov.2010. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
I am going by memory too.I was driving those things when they were new ) We had a B-80 with a 711 gas engine (same block) and changed it later on to a 711 diesel with a blower on it to make it run cooler.It didn't add any horsepower to speak of.Ron G
I believe the single item on a vehicle that makes it last the longest is a good front bumper.
B80s series has allways been one of my favorite Mack model. I like the B70 series with the L-model cab as well. Here are a few pics of a B83 I took Y2007. Mack B-83 is owned by Garry Peschke and is on display near McLeese Lake, BC. It's a1957 Mack B83 SX serial #1225 built in Jan. 1957, #225 of the B83 series. The original 220 Cummins was replaced with a 1959 vintage Cummins NHRS 300. Trans are 5&3, rears are Mack 55,000 # double reduction with 9.02 : 1 gear ratio, on 1100 - 24 rubber. As it sits, it weighs 36,000 #. Thanks for information Garry P. Nice truck
Yes, LRSW, as it has the Cummins HB. If it had a V-12 then it would be a LRVSW Ap40rocktruck
Take a look at that old cabover truck (a mid-size International perhaps?) beside the red B Model in Post #55. See the cream-color paint showing itself under the blue re-paint? Now look at the truck used to tow the house in Post #347 of the BCFP thread, perhaps?
Old Mack LTL retired somewhere on The Olympic Pininsula, WN back in the early 80's. The B-model logging truck was captured through the backwindow of a Lincoln I drove. He was tailgating me for quite a few miles on the Peninsula.. LOL.. This was in 1984!
Mack B73 model water truck. Pics were shot in a dryland sort somewhere on Olympic Peninsula, WN in 1982.
and another old Mack
Nice looking B-71, don't see many these days. Ap40
Tha b-water truck was working up at Snoqualami(sp) Ridge in the early 90s! Had a big Hall Scott gasses in it.Gas was way cheeper then! Cool pic thankyou!
WOW, a B-74 with a Hall-Scott, probably a 440, same basic engine as the one used in the WW2 M-26 tank transporter. 1050 cubic inch. Those were also popular in the LTSW chassis, long hood, set forward front axle. Was Butane power ever used on the west coast? we had some here in the east, but for the most part is was either gas or Diesel. Ap40
I never looked under the hood.The owner was driving it and we filled up under the same water tank.He told me he payed 5 grand for it,and was making money every day!I dont know if he was working for weyco,or rci the contractor.It was great to see and old dog still earning its keep everyday! I would sure love to have one!
580bruce; thanks for great information. As I recall the truck was green when I shot pics of her. Gas engine? ap40rocktruck; on hood it says "B73" and as you know odd numbers indicates a diesel engine and even numbers indicates a gas engine. So this is a mystery??? Here is B-80 series model for sale in Washington summer 1980.
Hayesno1, correct, B-73 would be a diesel, possible for the hood to have been changed at some point, or simply open the hood to verify gas or diesel. with a Mack gas engine, the engine shares many of the major components with the diesel, block, heads, water pump, oil pan and so on. simple changes were done to make both fuels work in common parts. Just keep in mind that one can not become the other, with out a complete re-manufacture. Ap40
Like To See More Vintage Macks........ Hayesno1: That B-73 was at Port Angeles at Georgia-Pacific's dry sort. There was an F-700 there as well. I got pix of them in late 1990's still there then. I'll post some pix when I figure out how to use the photo sizer. I sure would like to see more photos of vintage Macks here, from what I've heard there were quite a few Macks used in British Columbia after WWll. Anything on FK's or FCSW chain drive rigs? I'd like to see photos of LMSWL's when they were still "in service" as well. My next 1/87th kit will be a Mack LMSWL or M, maybe even both rigs. I also plan to produce a built-up in 1/48th scale.
dmills1419; I can't remember exactly where I took those pics but you are properly rigth. There was no F700 when I was there. Looking forward to see a kit of LMSWL, I have made a model of that in scale 1/87. For resizing pictures I use IrfanView. You can get it free. It seems to me that many have issues posting pics. Here are a few hints/help! You choose "Advance" and then choose "Attachment" (see pic1). Then "Add files"(pic2) and then "Select files"(pic 3). Then you browse your computers folders and find and select pictures you want to post. Then upload pictures. You can only post up to 5 pictures each time. Hit "Preview Post" button to see pics and text that will be posted, before you submit your post, as you still can edit text or delete a picture before posting. Good luck!
Pics of "HDX" and his Mack LMSWL ERT unit #7 at The Hayes Show in 2012. Very nice truck and great sound!
dmills1419; Take a look at this link (Hank's truck web site - Jim Falconers Collection) http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/jim_falconer_ss.htm
HDX's LMSWL Mack Logger I need some specific information on HDX's LMSWL Mack. I hoping Steve or someone else knowledgeable of the truck can help me out. I have Mack factory drawings, and a lot of pattern work already completed to produce a 1/48th scale model of the truck, but need some info that Mack can't provide. I want to know what engine & transmission setup is in the truck, plus details on the logging gear that looks to be Canadian made. If anyone has drawings or manufacturer's data sheets on the logging gear it would be a big help. I'm over 3000 miles away here in Boston, MA so this info is hard to get around here. I want to produce a detailed model using the same methods I've used on past projects, and all cast metal chassis & running gear & logging gear, with only the cab, hood & fenders plus water tank in resin. I'm doing both versions of the truck, the LMSWL and the LMSWM with "soft" nose. Don Mills
dmills1419 Sorry It took so long to get back with some info you wanted Been too busy doin stuff!!!! ERT is a 1952 LMSWL She came new to ELK RIVER TIMBER along with 5 sisters. She was delivered with a 50 Ton Hayes Logging Trailer and 14 foot wide bunks. The bunks were Seattle Bunks (rivited) and Seattle stakes. When you saw them sitting there they looked overloaded just with the trailer on their back. Water tank and truck sub-frame was made by Columbia in Vancouver. She came with a Cummins NHBS 600 275 HP 5 1/8 X6 743 CI displacement Trans was and still is a Mack TR 130 5speed main and now has a 8341 C aux 65,000lb Mack Rears with 12:00X24 Dayton wheels The water tank on her right now is off a 1956 HD Hayes and it fits pretty good so I went with it and it has a HD Hayes sub-frame now as opposed to the Columbia original stuff Somewhere on this site Hayesno1 posted a drawing of what the Seattle rigging looked like and of coarse I cant find it. Today she has 11 foot bunks because I just couldnt find the proper 12 foot ones that she should have had but what the heck, These work and they look OK I DO have a 50 Ton Hayes trailer but there is no way I would even thionk of putting that thing on her. The trailer on her in the above pics is a 36 Ton Hayes trailer and it reflects the era very well The LMs used both Columbia and Hayes trailers for the most part. If you need more just ask Don and we will see how we can help you OK As I say SORRY it took so long
Hey HDX did those trucks have the exhaust though the hood with no mufflers when ERT had them. I lived not to far from the main line in Campbell River as a kid and we could hear the trucks coming from miles away .Used to go down to the mainline an watch them going buy loaded was pretty cool when you were 10 years old. The mainline was paved and they were letting it all hang out loaded.
dmills1419 Sorry forgot to mention that the Engine was/is Supercharged
075 Yes the exhaust pipe came right off the manifold and up through the hood. When I bought what was left of her that was the configuration she had. At 1800RPM she would shake windows and I thought about it and changed the manifold to a rear dump one and it still has most of the same Cummins Choir sound. Every now and then I think about replacing it and stuffing it back up there and then think -- WHY BOTHER -- WELL MAYBE YES I know of what you speak old #4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. all at full throttle down the mainline Man just to be able to go back there today with the camera's we have now. I think #7 is the last LM around .She does not get out much anymore Mostly stay's in the shop where its dry She has done her time Maybe one day she will become just a GATE-GUARD
HDX, Thanks for all the info on your LJSWL. I will probably produce the first variation exactly the way your truck is set up now, then do some other variations later. I want the hood side panels off to show the engine, reason for needing the engine data. I'll probably do it with 12' bunks and 50 ton trailer. She sure is a great looking truck, sounds like you have a lot of hours into her restoration. Any info on a model being produced in Romania for H-17 in MB colors? A couple of dealers are showing photos of the truck on the internet. Thanks again for your help Steve, I'll probably be bugging you from time to time for more details. I'll make sure you get one of the first models when we get into production.
dmills1419 No I never heard that those guys over there were even thinking of doing H17 in model form. I have seen one or two of their trucks and they are pretty darn good. Hank Suderman (Hankstruckpictures) web site has one of the HD Loggers in Crown Z colors and Jim Falconer has the HD dumptruck modeled after his truck. Im honored that anybody would even think of building something like that. At the Hayes 90th Hayesno1 presented me with a model of H17 that he hand built and I just about fell over, She is beautiful Then I got to feeling nostolgic cause he built her in her original colors Red and White.I have been trying to get one of our welders to give me a hand and cut all that crap off the front bumper so she wont look like a Pacific anymore. I dont,nor will I ever say that she is still original because she is NOT One day we will get into a H17 topic. As for old "ERT" well she is just a piece of history from long ago and if you want info or anything just feel free to ask. I have engine side panels but dont put them on for the same reason you wont include them on your model Don
We used to ride our bikes down to the ERT crossing at evergreen and wait for the trucks to come through. It used to make our day when the drivers would blow their horns for us!
HDX, I need to know the wheelbase of ERT #7. I think I'll make the model with the 35 ton trailer like you have also, the 50 ton would be too heavy for 12' bunks. I noticed that Fruit Growers Supply in California had LMSWL's with 14' bunks too, but they hauled sugar pine , probably a little lighter than the wood you haul up in BC. They used to really pile it on, loads looked like what you haul on H-17. Also, as you stated, those wide bunks make the truck look small. I think you told me that your truck, ERT #7, was one serial number away from one here in New England owned by Forte Bros. Construction. All their trucks have disappeared, along with Tony Forte, word is he moved to Florida and the family sold off the restored trucks. They had some real nice restorations, all vintage Macks.
dmills1419 ERT's wheel base is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of trunion shaft is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of first drive axle is 173 inches From center of first drive axle to trunion shaft is 27 inches The rear diffs are 55 inches from center of front drive axle to center of rear drive axle. Are these what you had in mind Don??? We gotta get Hayesno1 to repost the picture he posted of the drawing of the Seattle bunk and bolster that showed the Seattle Stakes. Seems to me that one of the model railroad supply companies made an HO scale version of the Seattle bunks. I will try and get a picture of one of the model trucks I built while fooling around and I used these HO bunks.Let me know what else you need as you come to it OK
HDX, Thanks for the reply, that's the info I needed. Looks like your truck was a stock factory setting for wheelbase. How much does the chassis extend past the rear set of wheels? What do you have for fuel tanks, (2) 50 gallon? I think the bunks you mentioned are by Kadee in HO scale. They make a few different style log car kits that use those bunks & stakes, 12' would have been perfect for a railroad car. I think I have a set of them in my junk box, can use them as a guide to make the ones for #7. I've been inquiring about the model of #H-17 that I told you about, can't seem to get answers from anyone. I'll keep checking and let you know what I find out.
dmills1419 From the center of the rear drive axle to the rear of the frame is 66 inches. The Hayes sub-frame on her is 12 inches shorter than the rear of the truck frame. So the compensator box is pretty well exposed back there. I dont know if you are going to install the compensator bar or not but it is 38 inches long X 5 1/2 tube with the Premier hitch welded/bolted to the end The fuel tanks are also Mack 50 Gal and the second one is a little shorter (same diameter) so I would estimate it was about 30-35 Gal's. Also when the trailer is loaded on the back of the truck the rear axle of the trailer (center of the trailer axle to rear of truck frame) is 44 inches. Let me know if this works or is too confusing!!!!
Hi dmills1419 and HDX, I will post those pics again - I'll just have to find them again..
More pics of ERT #7. 1st pic shows Re-Pete(Dane just like me) standing beside this old outstanding truck- Last pic shows "HDX" driving her at 90th Hayes aniversary show. I will never forget that sound and smell..
HDX;dmills1419 ERT's wheel base is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of trunion shaft is 200 inches. From center of steering axle to center of first drive axle is 173 inches From center of first drive axle to trunion shaft is 27 inches The rear diffs are 55 inches from center of front drive axle to center of rear drive axle. Are these what you had in mind Don??? We gotta get Hayesno1 to repost the picture he posted of the drawing of the Seattle bunk and bolster that showed the Seattle Stakes. Seems to me that one of the model railroad supply companies made an HO scale version of the Seattle bunks. I will try and get a picture of one of the model trucks I built while fooling around and I used these HO bunks.Let me know what else you need as you come to it OK Well here pics of Seattle bunks. HDX; re my model of #H17 I gave to you at the show I think/hope I made the right bumper.. LOL.. and not the odd one she is having at present time
Thanks for posting those again Hayesno1
HDX & Hayesno1 Thanks for all the help on this project. The pictures of the bunks are a great help, They are exactly what I thought they were but wanted to be sure. Kadee Metal Products produces them in HO train size for their log cars, probably what HDX used on the HO trucks he did. I am proceeding slow but steady on the project, but a long ways to the finish line yet. The mount for them looks pretty simple too, should not be a problem. The tires I'm producing fot the model look exactly like the ones in the photo on the drive axles.
Old Mack Logger
Truck ID In need of a truck GURU here, I'm not sure if this is a Mack. If they off set the cab anymore, it won't be on the truck! It is out of Big Lagoon, Ca. Picture is from the William Boyle collection. No date given. Sure is a cool looking truck. So help me with the wooden reach vs. steel reach w/ compensator. I don't see a compensator on the wooden reach trailers, does the reach just slide in the tunnel of the trailer?
Well as for the Mack, it is a LMSW-L, The L's were built before the B's. Mack continued with the off set cab after the B, with the DM & U for highway & offy's. The larger Offy's with off set cabs were the LRSW, LRVSW, the M series & the CL-350 logger. Rick
yup, the reach just slid in the trailer, even early steel reaches slid, then someone figured out they could use that hollow tube for a compensator. isx
Thank you Gentlemen! I knew someone on here would know what kind of trucks they were. I thank you for your vast knowledge. I was just guessing, the fenders made me think Mack. Any guess of the year? GP had a huge fire that burned many of the railroad trestles in 1945. Instead of rebuilding they converted the railroads over to mainline truck roads.... I imagine they got their first off highway trucks in '45 or '46. Would these be chain drive or did they have diff's? One of the Boyle photos is of a truck on its side, and plain as day it has diff's. I don't know if that was a later model or what. I'll dig it up and post it, you fella's will know if it is the same model or not. What would you guess for power? I knew from the size of the truck and size of the load that they were nowhere near the size of your Canadian monster trucks. The bunks look to be maybe 10' wide?
Big Mack Attack Here's the big Mack taking a rest. You can clearly see the rear diff's, they have the look of Mack rears. The Boyle photo description doesn't say why she laid over, it does say pre-1956, truck 109. Two more off highway trucks are up the hill there, they look Mackish also. Nice logs....
More Macks Here are a couple more Macks at the Crannell reload. They would unload the off highway trucks and reload the logs onto rail cars for the 15 or so mile trip right next to the ocean out to the mill at Samoa. All of these trucks look to have cheeseblocks instead of stakes. One correction I need to make, I forgot to mention that Hammond lumber Company was the original timber company, then somewhere in the 50's or early 60's (I'm guessing here), Georgia Pacific bought out Hammond, they the Feds split GP....said they had a monopoly on softwoods in the US....and WALA!! Louisiana Pacific was born, not sure of the year....60's? This photo was also a Boyle photo, but this is by William's wife Katie.....who also doubled as my fourth grade teacher. The second photo was also at the Crannell reload. Year is stated as pre-1956.
More Macks....3 & 4 Log Loads Here's a couple more Macks, I believe you can see the famous Mack Bulldog on the hood. These look to be a later model, perhaps a truck GURU can help here again. These look more like highway trucks. Nice 3 & 4 log loads, used to see these every day, common as houseflies....now a load like this is set aside for the truck parade. I'm not sure about the deal with the overhead lines.... No date given, this is a Palmquist / Yale photo
150 Truck Tie Up This photo shows trucks waiting to get scaled and dumped at the mill along Highway 101. We have most makes of log trucks here...at the far left looks like a GMC, then a Ford, next it looks like two of Wayne Bare's Kenworths, one is hidden behind the sign. Next we have a Mack I believe to the right of the sign......after that mine eyes cannot tell. Feel free to correct any mistakes on my I'd ing. Cool picture. Nice logs! Palmquist / Yale photo...no date given....late 50's early 60's probably.
Posts #s 97 and 98 have what looks to be wrappers on the loads. I have never seen wrappers on any load before where cheese blocks were used. I have only seen wrappers with stakes. Something new to me.
The trucks in Post #98 look to be A Models, predecessors of the L Models. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The tie up was actually a protest by truckers at clam beach/little river when weight limits were started to be enforced. Trucker from mckinleyville dad was in it.
Thanks for the clarification Mr. Bushman1, there was not much info with the pic, I shouldn't guess. Do you have any pictures of your Dad in his day? Also, do you remember or know the date?
these 2 trucks are White's not Mack's also the Mack LM's differance was the grill shell LMSW-L logger had a cast rad tank were as LM-M mining had a sheet metal rad surround this is easiest way to tell differance .
Well now don't I feel like a dipstick....Thank you Mr. Hayeslogtruck, if it weren't for knowledgeable people like you I'd have things all goofed up. I wish I could move this post, but it's too late. I guess I'm going to need to learn more about old trucks and learn what a Mack Bulldog looks like hehe....I spent some time driving a few Macks, but they were 70's vintage. Also I was looking at the other end of the Bulldog. Thank you for your help Sir.
Redwood, no need to be embarrassed!! I sure appreciate your pics here, and a day gone by without learning something is a day wasted. I'm curious how that Mack in post 96 got laid over, it looks like a pretty straight run of road.
I'm curious how that Mack in post 96 got laid over, it looks like a pretty straight run of road.[/QUOTE] Speaking from bad experience...... It kind of looks like the trailer caught the ditch and in trying to pop it out, driver flopped it over. I had an interesting conversation with a truck boss (uncle) regarding something ahem; QUITE similar. Pure carelessness on my part, I was young, knew everything and did not need to listen to others etc. Truck was a '49 Mack, 12 foot bunks and 6 foot stakes. They brought a shovel down, kicked the load loose, flopped the truck upright, checked the coolant, and oil reloaded most of it and sent me down the road to the dump with it. They did not fix the broken windows (missing) for a month or so. They did fix the mirror. Having winter slop in through the open windshield sure helped keep me alert though. That was one tough Mack, later I drove a Mack DM800 which could not hold a candle to that old pig.
Wrappers & Cheeseblocks I'm not sure that I understand your post Sir.......but I will say that on ANY load of old growth Redwood, especially when the sap is running in the spring, you want to have wrappers........no, you HAVE to have wrappers. At least two per peaker. When the sap is running, the bark slips off very easily, that is the main reason you see so many peeled logs. To load Redwood with the bark intact when the sap is running is inviting disaster. While the wrappers may hold the bark, the log can slip right out of the bark. While helping to fall timber, I have witnessed numerous times when the tree hit the ground it would slide out of the bark.....like 80 to 100' of log slick as a whistle. Even with cork boots on, walking on a freshly peeled Redwood is tricky business. So every load that left the truck slip whether it was a stake or cheeseblock truck, always had at least one wrapper per peaker. He may pull out of the slip to allow another truck in, then tie the rest down. My apologies if I misunderstood your post. Here is an example of what can happen if a load slips ahead. I don't know the story of this Mack, but it looks as if that may have been what happened. Photo from Boyle collection, Dated pre-1956.
Enging ID in That Mack.... That's Engine....Can any of you truck genius' ID that engine? Is that the same model as the rest of the Macks? Thanks.
Is There a Way to Move Posts? Thank you Sir, not really embarassed, just making light of a goof up. God knows I do enough of those....so is there a way to move posts? I don't see a thread for White, International, Dodge, GMC, Ford, Marmon, etc. log trucks. I know there are pics out there. As to post 96, the pic gave no details, but as Mr. Jumbo says, he may have caught the ditch. Also, it is common for these logs to shift if they are not settled down into a "saddle". If a large log were to shift just a foot or two, it can shift the center of gravity a bunch. Off highway loads are typically tall loads, so the CG is pretty high. Also, that may be a bit more of a hill than it looks.
Antique Truck Show - Duncan Some Macks from the show today.
got pics from the rest of the show?.....really wishing ida been up that way to goto that..do they do it every year?
Don't Know Where To Put These.... Seeing as you wanted to see some more pics....
still tons of great stuff in the backgrounds of all those shots..great to see em whats riding piggyback in red primer on the back of that trashy?
That is a chain drive Hayes that is being restored up in Port Alberni.
Macks From Today's Visit. Two more Macks.
please tell me youve got pics of the chain drive...course im betting youve got pics from the whole show
Hate to disappoint you but I didn't. When you are wearing a motorbike riding suit on a hot summer day, you tend to make haste when off the bike. I did hear the comment from someone that they couldn't see the 'mechanism' but that might mean that only the chains were missing. What you are seeing here is all that I have. I only posted it in one big bunch because I'm heading off to my job tomorrow (Vancouver) and I wanted to get my pics out there before I left. Enjoy.
i TOTALY understand the leathers...thats how i get back and forth from portland to victoria..on my zr7s
Hears a few old chain drive pictures, might even be a Mack
i cant imagine how cool it would be to see a chain drive rollin down the road
Saw one in action 24 years ago in England. My spouse and I were cycle touring up through Oxfordshire - doing the back roads. This old cab-over logging truck with chain drive overtook us. Not going a great speed but still earning its keep. I'll try and see if I can find a photo of it.
I just realized there was a vintage Mack thread. In 1960 bought a 1952 Mack off highway truck. This was one of 6 trucks had rock boxes on in the iron ore mines in Quebec, the boxes were removed and truck were then driven out to B.C. and sold for logging it a long slow drive since top speed was only 25 mph. V-12 Cummings, Schiender-Westinhouse torque-converter, 4 speed transmission, plantary gears in rear ends, 16:00 X 25 tires. Norm lengthen the frame 4 ft so he could build and install a logging arch in order to skid logs. He used a winch of a D-8 cat, Norm always went 75% more beef than most would, his moto was build it to last and make it strong.
Forgot to say that Norm Simmons logged in the Prince George area. of B.C. He told me that in the winter they would use the arch trucks and when they had a straight shot at the frozen lake just pin it and get out as far as posable, then when the ice went off boom they down to the mill. I can not remember the name of the lake.
Hears a couple of Mack pictures I found amongst some Hearsey Transport pictures.
Great shots of the chain drive sprockets & such, but those are NOT Mack. It appears to be Sterling,more detailed images would be needed & any data tags or casting numbers. Ap40
Here are a couple of Currie and Son Logging in Princeton, I do not have any guess as to model or year??
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/bullnoze/greeley/2003/aths_1957_mack_bcr02.jpg
Here is a couple of vintage Macks for your viewing pleasure.
Here are a couple "Old Macks" This first one is a M-30 quarry truck, late `60's vintage I think. This picture was taken the day it was leaving our plant after being sold on an Iron Planet Auction. I believe the main problem other than wear and tear was the flex plates attaching the engine to the Allison transmission either broke or the bolts for them failed. Spent many hours working on that one over the years along with several others of these from M15's up to the M65's we ran at various sites in New York State. This one is a little older! It was a project the president of the company assigned to our shop. Really wish I had some before pictures! It was cut out of a hedgerow in western New York where it had been parked for many years. I could probably write a book on the project. The only original sheet metal left I believe is the hood. One of the shops welders used the rusted original pieces as templates and with little more than a jigsaw, torch, and a few hand tools made something that while not museum quality looks preety good. My self and another mechanic were tasked with making it run, it does still have the original 4 cylinder gas engine. We were lucky and our boss found a good used crank case and crankshaft that needed the bearings hand fitted. Other things were a little more of a challenge!
Great story to go with these trucks. Thanks for sharing.
The picture on BCFP thread posting # 347 was taken in summer 1961 it is a house from the old Harris Creek camp being moved across the South branch of the San Juan River ( Cove Bridge ) to Beach Camp . The house mover was Modern House Movers from the lower mainland area maybe Surrey . As the owner was an early developer of hydraulic's , this was to be one of his last projects , as he was going into perfecting his system of raising houses and patent it . If you look at the control bank for raising houses you will see the name Modern House Movers.
Borrowed from Facebook. Nice photo of an off-highway B Model.
Another off-highway B Model, taken at Weyco's Pe Ell camp, down below Vail.
That shape hood was from the B-80 family I beleive,I think the B-80 would be an 711 gas or diesel,the B-81 was a Mack 6 cylinder engine,the B-83 had a Cummins I think and the B-87 had the had the Mack 864 V8.It's been a long time and YMMV.Ron G
Truck 206 appears to be a Canadian variant based on the headboard, water tank and turned bunks.
I drove a 10 wheel dump with that style cab and hood. I'm pretty sure it had a Mack engine. Cab was tight for me at 6'4" and it had an air starter, it had to be pushed in the morning to start LOL
It has been said that you wear the cab of a B Model like a pair of pants. I feel your pain. We are the same height.
Art Nickerson Collection Not sure where this was taken , but it is an impressive stick of wood . Note the blocks on the bunk to prevent the log from rolling .
Al, see sign on building - Sooke Coffee Shop
Good eye , you had to look hard to see it . I'll have to send it to a few friends in Sooke to see if anybody is still around that remembers it .
I was reading a book I got from the Sooke Reginal Museum ( The Sooke story ) when I came upon this write up . I have to wonder if this isn't the "Berry" on the vintage Mack I posted . The truck was heading away from the log dump area in Sooke . Being in the " All Sooke Day Parade" or on display that day would seem reasonable . I worked with Tuck Vowles one time and its something he could and would do .
How about this video Norie Brothers Mack trucks
Steel spar on an old B71 or B73
With that grille it has to be a B73 which is Cummins powered or B75 which is Mack powered. The B71's were Cummins powered {220's Mainly} but the B71 used the B61 radiator/shell. The radiator was set forward of front of fenders to accept the longer engine. B71 below. *
B73 style with LT cab. *
And this is/was a 1960 B75 Mack powered originally, slightly converted to Cummins Big Cam Power. But still has the Studebaker style cab. It originally was a logger, I even saw it in the late 60's with a load on it. *
You sold yours a few years back didnt you? Do you miss it?
Oh sometimes, and sometimes not. It's just one of the many traveled roads in my life. I will say it was fun to take for a spin on a Saturday afternoon. Unlike other vehicles cruising along a city street or the four lane people just could not stop looking at it. I was setting at a intersection waiting for the light to change here in town---two guy's in a pickup pulled out in front blocking the intersection just to take some I phone pics. Women just loved the color. I took a little kid for a ride to the park when I took photos, that kid was just walking around smiling/grinning. His dad says he still tells everyone about that day.---King of the Hoods. *
I can guess how the kid felt. I took a friends 5 yr old boy in my 96 Pete when it was still new and he still remembers it! I sold my unrestored 72 10 years ago, still kinda miss it.
Yes you are right about it is a B73 or B75. But I have seen several B71 where rad and fenders are aligned
Another B-model used for log loading
Not a logger but a nice B model in Campbell River BC. As I recall a B61
It would have to be one that was altered, all B71's had the set forward radiator. It only had a 4 year run and not many produced.
Truck looks fantastic but the sleeper looks maybe a little bit too modern.
Late 30's early 40's Mack in South Bend, Wa. *
I found one B71 in Quesnel, BC with forward radiator. That‘s the only one I have seen so yes it it pretty seldom. But how about a W71 as logger and only 215 were build…
Steel spar on Mack LRSW chassis
To heck with the LRSW. See that gray Cummins outlined in blue. That's a KTA 600 or so. *
KTA 600. *
Never seen any W71's as loggers but anything is a go.
I worked on a 250ft. flare stack and it was bloody long when set up horizontally in the yard. I'd guess that tree isn't much shorter.