Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo 210 BLC VECU problem?

Markdd ยท 2020-08-04 07:55

Volvo 210 BLC Serial - EV210V14647 I have what seems a common problem on the 210 BLC of the speed control not working. If I start the machine in manual throttle mode there is no problem. It works fine at 1800 rpm though fuel gauge working or aux hydraulic lights. But when started in Auto I get an SID 187 error - no connection to ECU. And occasionally the screen shown. At the same time the fuel gauge and some of the aux hydraulic indicators do not work. Intermittently - usually after first starting- it works then goes into error mode with slightly higher revs. Very occasionally it will work ok with the speed controller Functioning as it should. Then eventually back to only working in manual mode. I have read threads on the wiring problems associated with the speed control and the auto/ manual speed control switch and checked all connectors I could find. I found two badly corroded pins in one connector which I bypassed and corrosion in the actual auto/ manual switch connector. Which I cleaned up and seems good now. After all this it worked fine for about 2 hours then back to normal. The previous owner changed the relays in the battery box so they should be good. I am now thinking VECU. Has anyone experience with replacing this? Many thanks to all that have been helpful to post on this subject.

Replies3
  1. #1funwithfuel2020-08-04 13:00

    Above the battery box is a 4 bolt cover housing your relays. Between the battery box and the relay box are some large oblong Tyco connectors. Those are prone to trapping water and corroding. I would check there first. I will post up troubleshooting steps for your V-ECU when I can access the files. If you wind up having to purchase a new controller, you would/ should go through your dealer, too many sneaky rascals trying to pawn off their problem onto someone else.

  2. #2Markdd2020-08-04 13:40

    Thanks for this I never checked those connectors I will do first thing in the morning. I talked with the guys from SinoComp in HK sounded very Clued up and said the controllers they sell are exact same thing No differenc they are made gor Volvo. Also said they program and warranty it works for 1 year. Quoted $575 including 5 day fedex shipping! Volvo quoted $3600 ..... quite a difference it might be worth a gamble if it comes down to it Covid willing! Thank you again for your help. Now off to try and fix the steering on my D37EX! Dozer..... It never ends does it!

  3. #3funwithfuel2020-08-04 14:01

    Hope that it doesn't, what else are we gonna do?