Good evening to all excavation professionals. I am looking to my dirt working friends online with some questions and seeking your valued advice. We will be purchasing an excavator in the next month. Hard to decide which is the best option. Both machines are about in identical shape. Both 2007 models with mechanical thumbs and quick attach. Volvo has 4800 hours and is a 2nd owner but being sold on consignment via a used dealer. Asking price is $95K Komatsu has 2,100 hours and is for sale by owner. Asking price is $110K I am honestly split on this one but hopeful someone can sway me in a positive direction. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and wisdom.
My money would go on the Volvo. I've had good experiences with those and and larger machines from Volvo. Tough, reliable, (back in the UK) parts and afterward was good. I can't say anything bad about Komatsu and they have come a long way but I personally think they are not quite there yet in the smaller size construction range of equipment. Dealer selling would leave scope for some degree of support in the event of a serious problem, and it's cheaper: bonus. Owners, could, and I'm playing devils advocate here, could polish something to be something it isn't. That could be an issue.
I would go with the Komatsu, with 2700 less hours that would be a selling point to me for only 15K more money. I have had very good luck with the Komatsu excavators with very few issues. In addition our local Roadbuilders / Komatsu dealer is excellent in service and parts
I haven't seen a Volvo dealer in the US that carried any parts. All come from one of the Carolinas and freight to them is a profit center. Second part of the issue is knowledgable service personnel. To our local dealer anyone with a 1/2 inch socket set and can read at a sixth grade level is qualified. The local Komatsu dealer was a not lot better but at least you can get into the diagnostic systems on the machines and fix most things yourself. Both makes are very expensive when it comes to replacement parts. I've heard lots of good things about Volvo in Europe. Plenty of good about Volvo trucks in this country. Not many people in my neck of the woods will have a Volvo excavator unless it is given to them.
What he said.