What's the best tool to use to remove the piston on a hydraulic cylinder? I'm trying to rebuild the bucket cylinder. I've got the jam nut removed, but can't get the piston to budge. I know it threads on in the opposite direction from the jam but. TIA.
Good day The pistons are mounted with loctite, you could try some release agent I know they are tightened pretty tight.
Oops missed this one.
Did you remove the set screws from the nut
The book shows 950 ft lb on the piston. The jam nut is removed. I can't get the piston to turn at all. Looking for help on the piston.
Can you attach a pic of the piston. There were several styles. The C series should be one thing, but you're describing a straight or B series.
This is a picture of the jam nut. The piston end where the nut tightens against is the same. Measuring from one invention straight across to the other sure is 84.75mm, outside to outside is right at 94.8mm.
And between the nuts was a fold over lock washer, correct? If so. That would be more in line with the B series.
I've run the serial number, it comes back as an 08 EC210CL. I'm guessing being an early C, it had B cylinders?? However the kit the book calls for fits. I put the new packings on and put it back together, but it has the same issue. When digging, hard red clay, old stumps, etc. the bucket pushes the cylinder back instead of digging in. I was thinking worn out packings, but now I'm wondering if theres a bypass valve somewhere that could be allowing this?
Ok now we know why you repacked. So, you have pressure sensors on both pumps. Let's verify that arm-in and bucket curl have equal pressures. Pull up service mode. Observe your pressures in F throttle, pull arm in over relief. Record the pressure. Extend the arm, record that pressure. Then do bucket curl and dump. Record both pressures. We're looking for huge differences. They should all be equal, since safety relief should be much higher than main relief. Please let us know what you come up with. When you had the cylinder apart, did anything look out of the ordinary?
Ok, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I ran it this afternoon and was watching some of the pressures, but wasn't sure of exactly which ones to watch. I'll run it tomorrow afternoon and post what I find. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary on the cylinder. I've repacked the cylinders on my dozer, tractor and track loader, so have an idea of what I'm doing. I did think that it went back together fairly easy. I did have it oiled down good though.
Post rebuild, it's important to exercise the cylinder in and out slowly, at idle, traveling a little further each time but not reaching end of travel. Then, with help, purge air from connections. This is important mostly because the cylinder is so high and naturally traps air. Air and oil under pressure equals dieseling. That's no good. It destroys packing material.
I ran the machine a little this afternoon and recorded the pressures below. I checked each one full stroke and took the highest average number. The RH travel motor in fwd has about half the pressure that it does in reverse and compared to the LH motor in fwd and reverse. I also noticed that when digging, the bucket curl function acts as if I'm only barely moving the control lever to curl the bucket. I'm wondering if an inline filter on a fitting is partially plugged up with trash?? Any help is appreciated. Arm in cold: 547.7 after a few minutes: 522 Arm out cold: 543.6 after a few minutes 525 Boom up 529.9 Boom down 527 Bucket curl 529.9 extend 530.7 Travel Fwd Rev RH 297 537 LH 542 543
Those are all pilot pressures, but that's fine. If you are seeing a drop in pilot pressure , that would explain poor performance. Pump only strokes up in proportion to the spool shifting. For example, the spool is just moving off neutral vs shifting all the way to one side or the other. Travel is a poor measure unless the tracks are pinned. Let's focus on diminished pilot. Beneath the cab, there's 2 manifolds, one is tank return, the other is from the safety solenoid. Sometimes trash does pile up at the inlet to the RCVs . The inlet fitting is a filter fitting. That way no garbage can get in to the valve itself.
You should have pump 1 & 2 pressures available on the display. Let's try and see what deadhead pump pressures are. End of travel just like you did for pilot. You'll see, in bucket and swing, only one pump should come online. By the way, teeth buried deep to prevent swinging. We want loaded pressure. Same with arm in/out and boom up. Record what pump does what, during motion and at end of travel.
I tried to attach a video clip of the arm in and then out. You can see pump pressure varying from 1800 to 2500 going out then it hits just over 5000 and bogs the engine down. Coming in, it goes from 800 to 1100 then hits 5100 and bogs the engine.
If your engine is getting dragged down, then the pump regulator is probably getting lazy. Was this in F or H?
Centered on F. Can i adjust the regulator? I have a 160c deere, I was able to tweak it some and made a huge difference.
It's a PWM valve as well. You might be able to fudge the start up, but I think it would just shift the problem to a higher/lower point. In F the pumps should be minimally stroked and the powerman indicator should remain lit on the display. In the F range, you have max lifting power, breakout force but at reduced pump displacement. This gives you "fine" control.
You can't attach videos to HEF unless you upload them to Youtube then link them.
Worked on the machine today. I went through my service manual and tried one thing, switching the bucket curl relief solenoid (not the right name) on the bottom side of the main valve body. But this didn't seem to have any effect. I looked for the "P" line going to the RCV's, but wasn't sure which one it might be. I pulled a larger line from a junction block that had smaller lines going to the Rcv's but that wasn't it. Here's my issues: Bucket wont curl in without working other circuits to help it out Boom wont lift the machine off the ground Pump pressure starts off closer to 4900 cold then drops down to the 4500's as mentioned below Coolant temp stays normal when digging, but goes hot fast when tracking around. I moved the machine about 300 yards and it went from 178 to over 230, but radiator hose isn't that hot. Machine tracks backwards fine and evenly, but rh motor is slow when tracking forward. Bucket curl stuck in the ground (hard Clay) #1 pump is around 3500 psi Boom out with bucket in the ground and trying to lift up the machine pump 4500ish PSI Arm in or out with bucket still dug in pump 4500ish PSI I feel that most of the hydraulic issues are related to a common point, but not sure where to start. I spent a couple of hours today in the hydraulic service manual and have some ideas. One possible is the main relief needs adjusting?? But I need to get a gauge first so I don't overdo it. The engine fan is now kicking up to high, something it didn't do before I pulled and cleaned up the PWM. I'm wondering if the radiator is stopped up?? Any help or ideas are appreciated.
Correction on the part I switched, its the port relief valve. I switched the bucket curl and the boom down PRV with no effect.