Anyone know if Volvo has wiring already installed in these trucks, mostly a 12v power source plug hidden somewhere to avoid installing a converter.
There is a 12v socket (actually listed as 14v ) in the roof lining on your righthand side next to the interior light
Also there is a convertor to supply that power point under the dash on the left hand side
hi, I already installed a 12v fan for air conditioning using a battery only.
Careful about cigarette lighter circuits. They don’t typically have the ability to supply a lot of amperage. On my backhoe (which is 13.8 volts), I ran 10 gauge wires directly to the battery, and fused as close to the battery as possible. Then fed the ham radio I installed with that. If you have to convert another voltage, I would buy a converter that will supply the necessary amperage needed, and run a heavy enough gauge, copper hot and ground from there. My 50 watt radio wants 10 amps. Most short wave radios want 20. 10 gauge can handle 30 for short runs. i listen to the ham radio when I am digging.
The Volvo Convertor is there to run the radio and reverse cameras so I would think the supply from the converter will be ample and it has 4 seperate outputs to keep things clean, but good point for other machines.
Volvo trucks usually have some convenient wiring for accessories, and many models come with a 12V power source already installed. It can often be found under the dashboard or near the center console. It’s worth checking the user manual or popping your head under there to see if you can spot it.
When I had my truck, I was on the lookout for a power source too. I found a hidden 12V plug that made it super easy to connect my Icom 2 way radio . Having that radio was awesome for road trips and keeping in touch with friends while off-roading. The clarity was great, and I loved not having to worry about phone signals dropping in remote areas.