Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo A35 6wd Truck Coolant Leaving

still learn'n ยท 2016-05-25 21:26

Where can coolant go in this engine? Coolant was low and engine was overheating and coworkers filled tank up and then run it and now I have it in the shop and added 5 gal of coolant and run it for a bit and there is no coolant leaking on floor and don't think I run it long enough to get it warmed up to open thermostats but the level in tank went down a couple inches in a couple hours. I am working on fixing some air leaks and had air line off coming off of air compressor and could feel or see in coolant coming out of there. Do these injectors have coolant around them? If that was the case wouldn't the fuel be going into the coolant rather than the other way around? I don't know what the year is when I go in to Volvo dealer they say it is fairly old the truck serial # is 2741 I don't know what the engine serial # is but could get it in the morning. TIA Jerry

Replies13
  1. #1walkerv2016-05-26 19:33

    These things are a mess of coolant lines ,piping and coolers . yes your injector sleeves are surrounded by coolant but they should only leak into the cylinder or externally onto the cylinder head , if they are leaking .. if your compressed air system is free of coolant then you need to check all of your oil compartments, engine, tranny,hyd,dropbox, and brake cooling oil they all have a water to oil heat exchanger on them or at least they do on an A40. also if you haven't done so already drop your 3 belly pans down and look for signs of coolant leakage underneath engine and tranny, only other spot to look would be heater box but im sure you could smell and see that one if your going thru that much coolant . on my old A40 there is a hyd drive water pump under the cab that you can sorta see from underneath on a A40 I didnt look at the parts pictures in that much detail to see if your had it or not but there is a good bit of stuff for you to look at ... one last thing is it could be a head gasket leak and its going out the exhuast ... hope that helps some

  2. #2still learn'n2016-05-26 21:54

    Thanks for info I will check this all tomorrow the truck has been in the shop for bout a week now and hasn't been any puddles at all on the floor so I don't think it just has a hose leak and I have checked engine oil but didn't think of the other components. Jerry

  3. #3walkerv2016-05-27 08:01

    Hope you find where its going to if you need anymore info send me a message I will try to stop in at my desk a few times today and check messages

  4. #4still learn'n2016-05-27 10:54

    The transmission was over full is there a way to tell on dipstick if it is coolant or oil? I pull the lines coming off tranny cooler to tranny and there is coolant coming out around the housing and the line like it isn't sealed from the inside there is an oring aroung the tube that looks like it will seal it off the lines have a bell type housing that goes over that oring is that what seals it off? was going to try and pressure test that cooler to see if I could figure out if it was leaking internally!

  5. #5walkerv2016-05-27 12:43

    It looks like o-ring 29 seals the cooler to the case and o-ring 30 is the line seal to the case , pull the drain plug on your tranny and see if coolant comes out ...looks like your onto something

  6. #6walkerv2016-05-27 14:00

    assuming all the coolant is still in it pressure test your cooling system with those oil cooler hoses off, it looks like coolant on your top connection but cant tell for sure

  7. #7still learn'n2016-05-27 14:52

    Right at the end of my arrow is where one oring goes on the stem coming out of the cooler up next to the housing and near as I can tell that is all that seals the stem off to the housing and there was coolant leaking out of there when I pulled the hose off so I drained the coolant and so I'm wondering if those orings are bad and is leaking there I just got some adapter hoses so I can pressure test the cooler so will see what I find there. Jerry

  8. #8walkerv2016-05-27 15:22

    ok gotcha on how the o-rings seal it up,volvo parts breakdowns are not the greatest... for it to leak into trans oil it would also have to get past the hose o-ring which is probably unlikely, drain a little oil from trans to see if its coolant or oil , if dont see coolant i would check all the rest of the oils that i mentioned in my first post , If you dont find any coolant or milky oil in any compartment I would suspect a head gasket , 2 ways to do it depending on severity of leak one way would be to use the block checker fluid set up, or in a pinch get your truck so it will run again and put your coolant pressure checker on it and see if it keeps rapidly building pressure on its own in the cooling system.your trans oil would or should be all pink and milky and it doesnt look that way from the slight drain off coming out your cooler ports

  9. #9still learn'n2016-05-27 17:02

    Ok I drained tranny, gearbox and hyd and I got some milky out of hyd but none out of either one of the others. I cant find any hyd cooler is there 2 tranny coolers there is the one that we talked of above and there is a round one on frame on right side of engine and the hoses from that one go to the same place as the above mentioned one so makes me think they are connected!

  10. #10walkerv2016-05-27 17:12

    i will log back into volvo and give it a look , i sent you a message with my phone number give me a call

  11. #11walkerv2016-05-31 14:47

    any update ?

  12. #12still learn'n2016-06-01 08:40

    I drained the fluids and had to order in filters so waiting on them to fill back up with oil so I can run it. I don't have the tooling to do injector cups so I will pry have to call the dealer out to check that out! Jerry

  13. #13walkerv2016-06-01 09:14

    If your going to call them out have them check for headgasket leak. they will want to pull the heads to do cups if that is what they find becuase that is howthere tooling works usually.,unless your dealer has some good old mechanics that know what they are doing