i posted a couple days ago about purchasing a different backhoe and got a bunch of good information, but curious if anyone has any information on a Volvo backhoe I’ve heard both good reviews and bad reviews which I know all equipment has there lemons and flaws. So Im hopping to talk to someone who has ran these machines, it would see limited use and probably only get 200 hrs a year but I want something reliable.. But I can get a volvo with the same specs for the same money as a cat or deere or case and it has 2000 hrs less thanks guys.
Been lurking here off and on for a long time, but I do have some info for you. I bought a BL60 this spring at auction, to develop my property and plan to build a house next year, it got about 500hrs this summer. I have a mechanics background and plenty of time with skidsteers and some rental mini-ex's. My Take Seems pretty well put together, Easy to do daily checks and grease, I have checked all the fluids, changed most the filters and engine oil. Case parts are cheaper and more common, but my dealer seems reasonable and I was told by the previous owner its cheaper to service then a CAT Mine was 5k+ less then the Cat and Cases at the same auction with 1/2 the indicated hours and no visible leaks unlike the other machines. Seems most the major parts, Axles-trans-engine are shared enough that parts for those items should be reasonably available. Infact the Carraro axles may be the same ones Case uses. The not so good Volvo quit making backhoes and graders in 2014 and only promised support 10 years support. I don't know how hard parts will be after that. Mine the hour meter, fuel gauge,and steering dashboard don't work on, and I haven't gotten to diagnosing them yet. I know mine needs both inner tie rods, which Volvo calls bearing, @ $175 each. Ebay has a cheaper option I may try.
You can do better, much better. BL70 with extendable dipper, really weak. Boom lock, really weak. As mentioned, parts availability is going to be a real problem in the years to come. Hell, parts availability sucked when they were current. Its hard for me to badmouth a Volvo, but in this case, a Case is better.
Thanks for the input guys I didn't realize volvo stopped production. I'm looking to own this machine for a long time so I'm not interested in one if parts arent going to be available.
To be honest it wasn't my first choice but I got a good enough deal on it, really needed something and it was the last one to sell that day. Learned after the fact about production being transferred to Volvo's Chinese branch. I saw one of the SLDG loaders (not a backhoe) earlier today. No regrets but there's a good chance I'll sell it in a couple more years.
I have heard nothing but good things about SDLG products. Kind of think of it as Volvo's discount product line no frills just reliability