Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo BL71 cylinder head removal questions

satkinson ยท 2020-02-29 11:36

Hey guys Got a question on a Volvo BL71 s/n BL71D10024 the machine has blown the head gasket and I am in the process of stripping down the engine to remove the head we have stripped the following items but cannot get the head to release from the block:- Exhaust silencer Air filter housing and pipe work Turbo and pipework Rocker cover Fan and fan belt pulley Water pump is removed All head bolts are out I cant see any other bolts holding the head in place but have tried with chain block and tackle to ease the head up but its definitely stuck down good. Does anyone have any ideas or a have a service repair document to hand. Thanks in advance Steven

Replies3
  1. #1sfrs42020-03-02 07:48

    Hi Steven, is yours a 71 or 71plus? both machine's have the 10024 s/n in their respective ranges. but both are same basic engine just a few little differences here and there, first of have you removed the fuel pipes between the injectors and unit pumps?

  2. #2satkinson2020-03-02 08:04

    Hi It's a straight BL71 2002, I did remove all the fuel pipes I have got the head off now, i checked the head and block for warpage and cracks all looks good that way I'm hoping its just the head gasket

  3. #3sfrs42020-03-02 10:48

    Brilliant as long as it's all going to plan now