Hey guys Got a question on a Volvo BL71 s/n BL71D10024 the machine has blown the head gasket and I am in the process of stripping down the engine to remove the head we have stripped the following items but cannot get the head to release from the block:- Exhaust silencer Air filter housing and pipe work Turbo and pipework Rocker cover Fan and fan belt pulley Water pump is removed All head bolts are out I cant see any other bolts holding the head in place but have tried with chain block and tackle to ease the head up but its definitely stuck down good. Does anyone have any ideas or a have a service repair document to hand. Thanks in advance Steven
The parts book says there are 13 bolts. Did you get that many out ? Only the dowel pins should be holding it. Did you try turning the motor with the starter ? Sometimes cylinder compression will help.
No I didn't try turning the engine guess it makes sense though use engine compression. Regarding the head bolts I count 14 there those weird star shaped heads on them.
Few pics of the job
If this is the correct head. I had a typo error. 18 head bolts not 13. Item #19
Hi thanks for looking at this for me I really appreciate it, I think it's too high of a serial number prefix, my machine is a really early model year 2002 s/n BL71D10024 perhaps the later ones are a different engine. Do you have a schematic for this prefix ? Thanks for your efforts btw
I'll keep looking. The image I posted sure looks like yours. That is the serial number of the head that I posted --I think. When you have access to a new head gasket, count the bolt holes in it. Some heads can be a b***h to get off.
You were right thanks man!! I stupidly missed 4 head bolts that were situated under the injector holding brackets I just popped them off pulled the bolts and the head came right off. Success Just need to measure the head gasket thickness and get it ordered up , I heard there are 3 different thickness of gasket for these machines 1.0mm 1.2mm or 1.4mm hopefully this will cure her. Thanks again you saved me
A lot of coolant in cylinder 3 so I think this was the issue
Yay !! Yes 3 different gaskets. I clipped them off in the image I posted. You can see part of them in the parts list.
Yeah I guess it's just a case of checking it with the vernier gauge to get the correct one.
Leaking head gasket ? Coolant in the oil ? Combustion gases going into the radiator ? Hopefully not a cracked head. Just my natural curiosity.
Yes oil in coolant and exhaust gasses pressurized the header tank . Had a good look at head and checked with a straight edge and .002 feelers gauge no warpage. Block looks good too I suspected a possible dropped liner but the engine doesn't run liners. Fingers crossed the head gasket is all that's wrong