Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo Computer problem???

watglen ยท 2015-05-23 07:37

I'll try to be brief. EC240BLC 81066 A year ago we lost high speed travel sporadically, and auto idle. Tech diagnosed as bad ECU, but at $3500, I thought I would wait and see, since the problem was intermittent. This spring other things started to happen. Throttle knob response is wonky. Sometimes the engine speed changes with the knob, sometimes not. You can always get it to respond by turning to low idle, then to full speed. Two days ago joystick response has become wonky. Right swing is there sometimes, sometime not or delayed. Other hydraulic functions occasionally fail to respond as well, but the right swing is the most common. So, just for an experiment we flipped the computer override into manual, with the switches in the left console. All of a sudden, we had full RPM we didn't know we had lost. The exhaust note cleaned up. It sounds like an engine running full bore. We hadn't noticed it wasn't running full speed before. Joystick response is back to what it should be, and predictable. Right swing still leaves you waiting sometimes but it is much less often. High speed travel reappeared out of the blue. Auto idle is still lost. Can all this be the ECU? Ken

Replies2
  1. #1uffex2015-05-23 10:45

    Good dayWatglen When you select manual you by-pass the V-ECU completely however from our experience this has nothing to do with the swing function and suggest you treat this as a separate issue. I get the impression that the throttle - auto idle issue is of an intermitant nature and I would suggest whilst this is related to the V-ECU it may be as simple as power or ground failure to that unit. We have had experience of a similar issue with the wiring to the manual switch in as much as the connector beneath fractures. Give this check first if you need more help drop me a line I can provide some illustrations. Please also check what errors have occurred by switching into service mode. Kind regards Uffe

  2. #2watglen2015-07-17 05:26

    Hey Uffex, I wanted to get back to you on this. It took a long time to get a service guy out. My local dealer is very slow to respond. Couldn't go anywhere else because they needed the computer to diagnose. Anyway. Most of the problems with this machine were caused by a bad ground pin on the computer. Fixed that and it is mostly up and running. The tech swapped the auto idle and two speed pressure switches. He identified one of those as bad as well. Lastly, they are going to open up the swing drive motor and check some poppets in the swing brake system. They work to operate the swing brake. The thinking is they are sticking occassionally, and cause the machine to overswing unexpectedly. I've been running the machine for a week now, and it is much better than earlier in the spring. At least we are getting to the bottom of some of this. Thanks for your help.