Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

volvo dozer?

BCB ยท 2008-10-29 22:59

they make everything else... why not a dozer?

Replies23
  1. #1KSSS2008-10-29 23:11

    Volvo has built very little from the ground up. They have bought their way into almost every market they are in (Much like Terex). Samsung, Michigan, IR, Scat trac and probably others I don't know of are responsible for giving Volvo their current presence in the different types of heavy equipment. If a dozer OEM comes up for sale, Volvo would probably look at buying them, maybe Dressor?

  2. #2BCB2008-10-30 00:34

    what exactly are they buying though? the design? manufacturing process?

  3. #3dirt digger2008-10-30 00:36

    they bought the Samsung line, IR, Thomas skid loaders (i believe)....i think they buy the whole works and basically just change the paint in the guns and give the end of the line different decals to slap on basically, like with samsung, they buy them and fix the major problems first...get a few units out there and continue to work out the bugs...now they have one of the best trackhoes out there

  4. #4bruce oz2008-10-30 00:58

    vd hello ,just some info from Volvo about buying a dozer range ,bruce oz http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5382/is_200506/ai_n21374706

  5. #5Haul-Pak2008-10-30 02:09

    Volvo Invented the ADT which loads have tried to copy "Cough Cough CAT Cough Cough" Most big companys buy into product line's including the big 3! Highway trucks? Plant equipment is only half of there worry. Only a hand full of companys make there own engine. Volvo are one of the most respected companys going and I like most of there equipment! I dont think they will bother with a Dozer as CAT owns big dozers and smaller machine's arnt worth the bother! A35/40D ADT's went for more money second hand than they did new! .... Result ....

  6. #6Sparffo2008-10-30 02:38

    As far as I know volvo doesn't have any bigger dozer connections, but there has been at least one a loong time ago... The Bolinder manufactured 4 **: http://munktell.sinnebild.com/product.aspx?PageId=2&ProdId=1 for you who do not know, Volvos earthmoving buisness begun with buying the Bolinder-munktell tractor manufacturer, thats why early Volvo farmtractors and dumpers has the Volvo-BM name I don't know if this has anything with volvo to do in the end, but at least it is made in sweden! it should be about D7 size, military equipment manufacturer Bofors Bs 19 dozer: http://www.album-mmt.it/details.php?image_id=37484&sessionid=turp675968v0ts57f9vnkucth1 I really hope volvo make a electric dozer (like the new D7e)! Because Volvo has always a hard time keeping the oil in the excavators

  7. #7Northart2008-10-30 03:57

    Inventing ADT's ?? Hello Haul Pak, DJB's (David John Brown) made in England, were around a whole lot longer than Volvo ADT'S .

  8. #8Northart2008-10-30 04:10

    Industry Consolidation The construction Industry is doing the same as the Auto Industry did years ago. I.E. General Motors , Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile,Pontiac,etc. Just a business scheme for gaining market share and profits ! Nothing enduring like Caterpillar !

  9. #9Turbo218352008-10-30 07:12

    A few years ago when a local dealership line sold itself to Volvo, they got rid of the case line. Most of the mechanics at the Volvo dealership were talking about how Volvo was trying to get a dozer, and most thought it was the Case line of tractors. This should be interesting. As they dont have a line in the market that stands alone on dozers, like samsung was on excavators. I dont see case, deere, or cat selling a dozer line to Volvo. Makes me wonder if it wont end up being a Chinese Cat rip off line

  10. #10Haul-Pak2008-10-30 16:42

    Hey Mate. I was wondering about them after I posted! Oh well had to be close though. DJB + CAT mmmm Rings a bell. Very good friend of mine runs a site dedicated to DJB, I will drop him an email and get some numbers ... Thanks ...

  11. #11LDK2008-10-30 16:55

    I don't think you are correct. I was working in the UK years ago and I remeber Volvos and Moxy's being around a long while before I saw any DJB's. In my opinion Volvo rules the roost when it comes to ADT's.

  12. #12bruce oz2008-10-30 17:24

    volvo v djb hello ,just some info ,bruce oz Volvo vs djb =Volvo built articulated first in 1966 BM-Volvo DR 631 djb was formed in august 1973 to build ,first model was built in November 1974 d250,

  13. #13BCB2008-10-30 21:04

    well if they do start making one... high track or oval tracks?:stirthepot opcorn

  14. #14Northart2008-10-30 23:49

    ADT History Thanks for the update, Bruce Oz. Up here we seen the DJB's 1st and much later the Volvo's.

  15. #15Sparffo2008-10-31 01:51

    I have never seen a DJB? not even on a picture some volvo history: http://www.volvo.com/constructioneq...boutUs/history/history+track/introduction.htm we have a few volvo trucks in my company, thats just because they have a really good service& support here! It's like having a CAT earthmover! :drinkup

  16. #16Haul-Pak2008-10-31 09:17

    Nice link to the Volvo history page ... All you need to know ... http://www.djbtrucks.piczo.com/?cr=7

  17. #17MKTEF2008-10-31 14:34

    As stated before: Volvo made its first ADT the DR831 4x4 in 1966, the DR860 6x4 in 1968. Moxy made its first ADT the D20 4x4 in 1970, the 6wd D15 in 1972. DJB was founded in 1973, first two trucks finnished in 1974, full production in 1975. Some smal firms still has their DR860 or D15 working today. Very few, but still. The D16 and DR861 is seen in more firms/private owners... The next generation Volvos and Moxy's is even more common.(5350 and 5200/6200) Theese modells are popular because they can be roaded with some payload.

  18. #18John C.2008-10-31 20:52

    LeTorneau built articulated haul trucks in the forties and fifties. They were a modification of their motor scrapers. I saw one of them at the Haulpak plant in Peoria back in the nineties. They were not four wheel drive and the boxes were lifted by cables but they were articulated haul trucks.

  19. #19Tnvolnfl2008-10-31 21:33

    Jd 650 Newby here looking to purchase a JD 650G LGP for cleaning up a 98 acre parcel that has been clear cut. Unfortunately, i don't know much about dozers ecept what little I have learned researching the net. Found several in the $30,000 to $40,000 + range. Any suggestions as what to look for or stay away from, Etc.? Thanks

  20. #20Sparffo2008-11-01 06:35

    Man this guy has seen a lot of effort to this page! really nice with loads of pics! is DJB some brand that CAT has bought? some of the DJBs had CATERPILLAR sign on them? Nice haulers anyway, i have seen them, without knowing they were DjBs. But i don't know if there are any here in Finland? I also took a look at his dozer pics, a lot of them! and i wuld be glad to contribute with some strange pictures of cats

  21. #21Sparffo2008-11-01 06:39

    I know at least 3 companys here in Vaasa that use the DR860 still! most of them are on there last laps (or have been the last 10 years), but the companys can't afford new articulated trucks because of the low prices they work with... really good machines, thay are like CAT bulldozers! except the regular volvo blue smoke

  22. #22stretch2008-11-01 10:03

    Yep, that's how Cat got in the ADT market.

  23. #23Greg2008-11-06 18:40

    If they are so great why did they make such a H--- of a f------ mess out of the Mack Truck line when they bought that? I won't buy anymore because of the changes and screwed up power train options Mack has now. I have been running them since early 1980's but am done now. What do I buy now?