Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC-140C – what tool to remove this piston lock nut

just-a-mechanic · 2024-03-04 15:10

As the title says what is the correct tool to remove this lock nut from my boom hydraulic cylinder? The outside dimension is 75 mm. The grooves are 5 mm deep. Across the flats the interior dimension is 65 mm. What is the proper term for this nut? Lock nut Spindle nut Groove nut I think I may have to build something. A spanner wrench can not hold the torque required for this, I don’t believe.

Replies14
  1. #1uffex2024-03-04 15:44

    Good day Example attached one clockwise the other counterclockwise. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2just-a-mechanic2024-03-04 15:48

    Hey thanks for the torque specs! however do you know what tool to remove the nut in the picture? Or what the tool is called?

  3. #3uffex2024-03-04 15:53

    Good day That is an example as you did not tell me which cylinder, but its bound to be dammed tight. I do not have any illustration of the tool, but it would need to be substantial and well-made. I will try to find the tool maybe FunWithFuel can help out. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4uffex2024-03-04 15:54

    Sorry its the boom cylinder you had stated.

  5. #5uffex2024-03-04 16:16

    Good day I have checked that is the correct spec for the boom cylinders. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6Delmer2024-03-04 16:41

    I've built tools to take off gland nuts with similar notches. A 2' piece of pipe to fit the outside diameter, then weld in four pieces of key stock, then apply leverage to the free end. In this case you don't need as deep a socket, so deep enough to reach the inner nut, then weld a plate to one end and a pipe to slide a bar into for leverage.

  7. #7uffex2024-03-06 08:08

    Thanks to Srfs4 View attachment 307140

  8. #8just-a-mechanic2024-03-06 08:33

    If anyone else would like to know the proper tool to remove the piston and lock nut assembly. This is it above.

  9. #9just-a-mechanic2024-03-06 08:34

    I cannot view this it tells me.

  10. #10Delmer2024-03-06 10:56

    If you can't see the pics, it's a SKF TMFS11 socket.

  11. #11JamesLogue2024-03-06 11:23

    I was the same but it's working now.

  12. #12DD572024-03-11 19:24

    If you get a tool, and you're trying to loosen the nuts,and it won't go,try heating the nuts with a torch. That will loosen the loctite if there is any in there .Good Luck

  13. #13Dave Neubert2024-03-12 08:02

    a 4ft pipe wrench will do in a pinch just make sure you clean up nut after removal

  14. #14RTS88092025-03-09 21:13

    I know this is a little old here. But do we know if the 140b uses the same nut for its cylinders? Probably right? The service manual says "using a hook wrench". I have to rebuild a few cylinders as some point, just trying to prepare. Any other pointers are welcome!