Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ec140B temp. display not working, and auto throttle issues.

windyhill · 2019-03-02 13:31

Hello, I've had two issues with my '06 Ec140B since I got it last summer and am looking for any info or help fixing them. I'm self taught and do all my own vehicle maintenance and work, but heavy equipment is new for me. Looking for pointers on how to go through and diagnose and fix. Thanks all in advance! My machine runs great, just turned 4K hours, and has a new rebuilt motor that I've put 100hours on so far. Issue #1 - My Temperature display doesn't work. The fuel gauge does, and all the other functions work, but I have no temp. display bars. PO replaced display with an aftermarket one, and supposedly swapped out the temp. sensor as well. Issue #2 - The Auto throttle doesn't function. I have to turn the knob up and down all the time. It's not really that huge an issue, but I'm sure I burn more fuel, and I'm also worried about wearing out the control.

Replies17
  1. #1uffex2019-03-02 15:26

    Good day windyHill First issue temp gauge this can be a little confusing two sensors for this one for display the other for warning light see attached Second issue please be aware that the auto idle will only work when you have selected 3rd or more position on the speed control this is a function that is activated by two pressure switches one for the equipment the other for the tracks both pressure switches are located at the main valve chest you can check them out by simply short the two connectors the engine should race to your selected speed (3>) if you need more help with this drop me a line. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-03-02 16:39

    For starters, which instrument panel do you have. Can you post a pic. The B series sported the analog needle with an idiot light bed at the bottom or an LCD bar graph with a digital display. Now , for your auto idle function, is it on, did you check all your fuses.Above your battery box is a 4 volt cover which protects your relay housing. Open that up and check that it hasn't fallen apart, very common. Resecure if needed. Your VECU should be looking for a signal from your flow control. On the bottom of the MCV , the frame you should see a t fitting with a black or white body. One is normally open the other is normally closed. Check that the switch opens or closes when function is demanded. Beyond that, you're going to need your serial specific machine service manual. Make sure you order the complete. You want schematics, descriptions, function and troubleshooting. Since you've pulled the trigger on a premium digger, you're gonna want to take as good a care as possible. It will pay you back.

  3. #3windyhill2019-03-02 17:58

    Thanks for the replies! It has the LCD display. I did go through the fuses and they looked ok, (I'll test them with a meter). I also have a factory service manual now. My machine sits over at a job a few miles away at the moment. I'll get over there and start investigating.

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-03-02 19:13

    Those displays are not waterproof. They look like they are, dont be fooled.if you unfasten from the wall and hold it screen down in your hand, you'll see 4 Torx screws. Take those out to remove the back cover. Just drill a small 1/8" hole on each side of the bottom. That will allow any that funds it's way in, to find it's way out. About 3 grand with programming if I recall. Looking forward to what you find. Descriptions, your best friend next to schematics in that manual.

  5. #5TVA2019-03-02 19:18

    So Volvo has crappy wiring and clusters not only on trucks, but on CE also?

  6. #6funwithfuel2019-03-02 23:20

    That's getting quite unfriendly.

  7. #7TVA2019-03-02 23:24

    Unfriendly?!? Not towards you! I curse Volvo trucks at least once a day!!! The only thing I cannot understand is why these considered second best ( after Scania ) in Europe, and such a cheapo POJ that cost too much here in the God blessed US of A! And don’t get me started on wiring on those!!! And injectors/sleeves and money wasted on them!!!

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-03-02 23:29

    I really like Volvo. I think they're a premium model. But in fairness, the B-series while being the pinnacle, does have a few weaknesses in the electronics. Wire harness and ECU's being most common

  9. #9TVA2019-03-02 23:37

    On the truck side - I’m not aware of any other brand that will have unprovoked break or short in wiring deep inside of harness in 4-5 year old truck!!! Even Mack with Volvo engines don’t have that problem! That’s maybe when their policy to never repair the wires - but replace the whole harness and charge the customer through the nose! I like the VNs when they just came out in ‘98, but VNLs since 2002 and up to now - it’s cheaply bade POJ that cost too much brand new, and has next to no resale value!

  10. #10funwithfuel2019-03-02 23:38

    But the immigrants love them.

  11. #11TVA2019-03-02 23:39

    In all fairness - the “I shift” is phenomenal!!! Freedom Line is not cutting it compared to them!

  12. #12TVA2019-03-02 23:41

    I’m one of them - and I don’t get it, frankly!!! My favorite is KW680!!!

  13. #13TVA2019-03-02 23:47

    But you know what’s worse then their products - is Volvo Trucks NA policies. I guess that’s why they’re worst in service anywhere in the US, and as far as I see, they cannot retain good mechanics in the dealerships.

  14. #14TVA2019-03-02 23:51

    I think Volvo excavators pretty good, for the simple reason - I don’t get to work on them. It seems I get the crap that not a lot people want to mess with! Lately it’s European made junk!!!

  15. #15windyhill2019-03-03 09:51

    There arn't a lot of Volvo Excavators in my area. It's "Deere, Case, or sometimes Cat. That being said, I'm really impressed with my little Volvo. It's super smooth, quiet, and has good power. A friend of mine that's been been running Deere equipment for years said the same, man this machine is smooth. When I was looking for equipment the thing that amazed me was how Brand loyal people are. What ever they like is the best and all the others suck...

  16. #16funwithfuel2019-03-03 14:53

    That's right, everything else sucks

  17. #17windyhill2019-03-03 16:04

    Ha!