Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ec140D fault code PWM9142-05

Markmc1996 · 2024-08-08 04:26

Hello Today we got a volvo 140 D model. It blown a 10 amp fuse behind cab for the VECU..on further Investigation it was the solenoid coil for allowing to work the joysticks had melted.. We replaced the solenoid coil, all joysticks back working as normal and no fuse blew either. But immediately the fault code pwm9142-05 was up on screen and now my left track is very slow..checked service mode and can see no mA is been sent to the solenoid on the pump.. have checked all fuses, connections, swapped solenoid on pump with a new one and still no luck.. any ideas? Photos attached Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Ben Witter2024-08-08 14:57

    P2 proportional solenoid circuit is most likely shorted to ground. Try manual mode and see if travel straightens out. Then disconnect both the VECU and the proportional solenoid and check for continuity to ground. The issue could be in the manual mode switch as that can be a troublesome component.

  2. #2Markmc19962024-08-08 15:00

    Hi Ben Update on this is I found that the manual switch was the problem all sorted now thanks very much

  3. #3blake_barry2025-05-22 13:00

    Having a similar problem with a Volvo ec220dl throwing 2 codes: SE9121-03 and PWM9142-05. One track moves slower than the other and throws the codes and derates. Any insight appreciated.

  4. #4Ben Witter2025-05-22 13:58

    First code is for P1 pressure output sensor, second is for P2 proportional PWM. Both likely open circuits. I suspect an issue with the harness somewhere between the VECU and the pump area.

  5. #5Innocent bystander2025-05-22 20:39

    As said above. the manual(bypass switch) was bad and I would look at that first as it interrupts the circuit between ECU and pumps. I have seen this a few times especially after someone flips the switch back and forth.

  6. #6Ben Witter2025-05-23 14:46

    Yes this will create the code for the PWM but it will not cause a code for the pump output sensor. It could be more than one fault but seeing the proximity of the PWM and the sensor I would first look at harness I will add that this should really be a new post as too much confusion is created when reply to one post with a "similar" issue looking for a resolution.

  7. #7Innocent bystander2025-05-23 14:53

    I agree, I missed that part. ○ Feed cable short-circuited to higher voltage ○ Signal line short-circuited to 5 V or higher voltage ○ Open circuit on ground line ○ Ground line short-circuited to 5 V or higher voltage ○ Defective sensor