Just picked up a drunken auction purchase a 160b and noticed when you go to boom up, there is about a one second delay before it reacts. Curious if anyone has had this problem or where to start looking for the issue. Hydraulics seem strong just have a lag
Does it have boom rupture valves?
I’ll have to look, Is that like pilot relief valve?
No, well kinda. It's a big block that is fitted to the base end of each cylinder. It requires a pilot signal to unlock the cylinder to allow extension or retraction. Its pretty noticeable
Ok I’ll check it out when I get back from Texas. Out of curiosity what makes you go to that right away? I don’t know much about hydraulics but fast learner
In those pics, you dont have them.
Eliminates that then
Does the boom drop prior to raising?
No, just seems like functions are retarded by a second but have full power
All functions or just boom?
All
I would check your pilot lines from the pump to the accumulator and from the accumulators to the safety solenoid. Blow the line clear and check for debris.
LOL.....thats worst case scenario right there!
So it’s been at the Volvo dealer and they’ve been testing everything abd setting the pressure back where they should be, tracks right, sticks out and curls right, still delay in boom up and down but once you boom up and then go to boom up again it reacts like it should. If you wait a little bit or use different function the delay is back. Changed pattern changer to see if it was in the controls and reacts the same... what’s the next thing to check?
Measure pilot pressure from RCVs to MCV. See if Right RCV delivers weaker pilot signal. If it does, check hose feeding RS RCV , see if the filtered inlet is jammed up with vinyl.
Good day Illustration may help Kind regards Uffex
Don't forget, boom up doesn't only affect boom 1 you also have boom 2 spool coming into play. As the image shows, in boom up at full stroke on the boom 1 cap, you should see 100% of pilot oil pressure. In the middle of the travel as speed and load dictate, boom 2 will open adding oil from second pump to converge with pump 1 so you don't have slow functioning. There are a lot of things going on here, all with little input from the operator. Good luck, hopefully your dealer tech is competent and has the experience to troubleshoot this methodically. I have heard both good and bad about your dealer up there. Best of luck.
Good day I hope Sincere apologies guys for giving a bum steer please see amended illustration. Kind regards Uffex
thanks for your input, I understand what you are saying I just don’t have time to check or the gauges so I left it with them, I’ll forward your message thanks again!!
I’m about ready to fly anyone here to fix this thing
Well, that's discouraging. You local dealer was unable to help you?
You need FWF. I cant even spell Vlvo............Vulv.......Voloo......Dammit!
as of now yes, they fixed all the other issues, check the spool, lines, reset all the pressures, checked pressures, there main guy has been gone working on a big outfit so leaves me with some other guy. I did notice they had the mcv apart before I bought it, is it possible be as simple as a hose hooked up backwards? They are gonna try replacing the logicalvalve and throw parts at it until they figure it out and if parts don’t do it they aren’t charging me but still frustrating, I’ve been down for 2 months so I’m open to options and opinions. Just weird all functions work but just the 1 second or so delay in the boom raise and boom lower.
Boom up, one second delay. With throttle in G or H mode, correct? Does this occur in ISO & backhoe control? Have the boom up control at the spool cap been measured against time? In other words, gauge the control line right at the spool cap, pull RCV back 100% , how long till control oil pressure rises in circuit? Is it immediate or is it delayed? We have to determine where the problem lies before we can pinpoint. It would be ideal to gauge both sides of same spool, that way we can determine if you have some unwanted oil neutralizing your boom spool on the opposite side. Good luck, keep us posted when you can.
The dealer should be ashamed. "Here, I'm jis' gonna shotgun a bunch o these here parts hoping I gits lucky." Sorry that's your experience.
It happens in all modes, and does same after switching pattern changer.
Would you be willing to talk to Brian from here, he is open to help he told me cuz it’s frustrating him also
Thanks everyone they figured it out, piece of rubber stuck in one of the lines