Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC210 CL review & advice

Lagwagon · 2022-05-08 02:05

Hi, this is the machine I’m looking at: https://sbauction.com.au/item/231202-1-2012-volvo-ec210cl-hydraulic-excavator/ M achine has worked in civil and has good service records with no major repairs, just a couple of minor things. Operates really nice and I was amazed at how tight it is for the hrs, no movement in the bucket pins and swing bearing, sprockets and rail bushing at ~50%. The only issues are: Quick coupler cylinder weeping. One arm rest broken Intercooler pipe bracket coming off turbo broken. One thing I thought might be of concern was a whining sound which increases with revs, at first I thought it was the turbo but it’s coming from the pump area or around The coupling, it’s hard to pinpoint and it’s a deeper whine than a turbo. It’s not your typical hydraulic pump sound which increases under load, this is very audible without a load, just an increase in revs. I’m not familiar with this machine so I’m wondering if this is normal? I’ll operate the machine again this week and see if I can take a video. It has 24 pads and I have an old Samsung SE210-2 with 28 pads. I measured roughly the bolt pattern and they look the same, both have 49x pads. I’d like to swap them if they are interchangeable? the machine also has what appears to be an extra auxiliary circuit. On the front of the stick behind the hyd cylinder are 2x pipes that are plumbed together (so blanked off). I haven’t seen this before on a machine so if it is then it will be ideal to run a tilt bucket separate from a thumb. It looks like it has proportional control on both joysticks. I appreciate any advice one can give on this machine. cheers

Replies19
  1. #1James Sorochan2022-05-08 08:51

    Lagwagon. Have you tried calling Leeway for information? If you can get hold of the service manager ask if he know's of any issues with the machine. Make a list of questions to ask. We used to own a 330BL that had the factory installed auxiliary circuit that we ran a hoe-pac. Not sure if you could also run swivel bucket. Ask the auction representative.

  2. #2uffex2022-05-08 11:50

    Good day Track chains are the same spec, the option circuit is flexible according to display selection. Quick couplers depend on what make has been added. See attached Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3funwithfuel2022-05-08 15:00

    I can't get the page to load , I'd help if I could.

  4. #4Lagwagon2022-05-08 19:10

    https://sbauction.com.au/item/231202-1-2012-volvo-ec210cl-hydraulic-excavator try that, if not go to www.sbauction.com.au and type in 231202 in the ‘search our catalogue’ bar.

  5. #5Lagwagon2022-05-08 19:14

    Thanks Uffex, Do you know if the fault code history is recoverable on the screen panel also? cheers

  6. #6Lagwagon2022-05-08 19:23

    Hi James, I’ve tried this before, finding out the previous owner and ringing them for info and it didn’t go down well. It’s not in their best interest to disclose any issues as they just want to offload it for the highest price. I know thats negative and I could actually get an honest person who would share all the info but I don’t want to go there, the machine is in excellent condition, I’ve been going to these auctions for years and never seen one so clean and tight for the hours. I’ll buy it if the price is right, I just wanted to nut-out a couple of these little things. I did speak to the auction representative and he didn’t know much about it and just forwarded on the service records to me. Cheers

  7. #7funwithfuel2022-05-08 19:25

    As far as equipment, here in the states, that thing is loaded. It has X1 and X3 which is to say it has bi-directional attachment with what appears to be a rotation option for a rotating grapple. Fire suppression and line rupture lock valves, the fabricated hand railings, those are all pricey add-ons. Oh and the filtered option return filter, that's another plus. I know some of those are mandatory in parts of Europe, I have no idea of what is required in Australia. As far as the pipe off the turbo, that silicone joint could be compromised, maybe that's what you hear howling. I don't know costs, but that's a lot of options, and you described it as "tight". Pending a full oil sample , I don't see a downside.

  8. #8funwithfuel2022-05-08 19:30

    Any chance that they'd let you spin down the case drain filter. 90% of what you want to know is in that filter, or not. Entering service mode, the errors are scrolling and can only be knocked off by new ones. You will see the 10 most recent errors. You can also see pump pressure from the monitor. One last thing, see if she'll walk a straight line or does she veer off to one side or the other.

  9. #9Lagwagon2022-05-08 19:35

    Cheers FWF. I’ve left it too late for an oil sample. The silicon turbo pipe is leaking but pushing air our for sure and not creating vacuum or any noise. It would be losing quite a bit of power I would assume but man you wouldn’t tell, it’s so dam fast I nearly collected a little 5tonne Hyundai parked in front of it. I’ve only owned/operated older 90’s model machines, this is next level for me.

  10. #10funwithfuel2022-05-08 19:37

    Volvos, imho are very smooth . Good luck in your selection

  11. #11Lagwagon2022-05-08 19:41

    I wasnt able to walk it more than a couple of metes last week as there was too much gear in the way, I’ll try again this week. In terms of the case drain filter, I alway cut my filters open to see the contents. Are you saying I could just shine a light inside to have a look or swap it out and cut it open?

  12. #12funwithfuel2022-05-08 19:45

    Motors and pumps if they are shedding will show brass in the can. Sometimes just pouring it out will tell you. Make sure you check chain sag before walking. If a chain is too tight, it'll obviously drag more. As mentioned before, last 10 errors should be stored in display regardless of whether errors were cleared or not.

  13. #13uffex2022-05-09 04:28

    Good day Making a thorough inspection can reduce the risks, see attached. Kind regards Uffex

  14. #14Lagwagon2022-05-09 19:17

    They are allowing me to take oil samples provided they supervise. What’s the cleanest way on these machines? Do I need to rig up a mini vacuum pump so as not to make a mess? From memory the newer volvos have some sort of tap-like sump plug that may help avoid spillage.

  15. #15funwithfuel2022-05-09 19:22

    Yeah, there's a screw on drain hose that unseats a plunger to allow oil drain. Volvo uses it on engine and hydro and swing. You'll have to use a sucker and hose to sample travel boxes. Make sure to clean sample rig with ether in between samples to avoid contamination. Good luck.

  16. #16Lagwagon2022-05-12 11:55

    This is the whining noise I mentioned. It’s not the turbo. I noticed a couple other issues, the air con and fan dont work, neither the windscreen wipers so there’s something electrical going on. The more concerning was the oil leak around the back of the engine. I noticed the belly pan under the engine was wet with what appeared to be hydraulic oil as it was clear, not black like the current oil but the area wet from the leak looks blacker like engine oil. You can see when I open the hood the wet area to the left around what looks like some sort of vacuum contraption, it’s cylindrical like a breather. The leak from below looks like it’s directly underneath it. You can see some writing on the starter motor, or at least I think its the starter, must of been changed out, the leak may be related. Anyway I took oil samples so will get them next week, one drive motor had semi cloudy oil. The Auction rep said the machine has only clocked 300 hrs since the 19th may 2019.

  17. #17Lagwagon2022-05-12 12:00

    Also I couldn’t find any history of fault codes, completely blank. I find that hard to believe on a 10 year old machine

  18. #18funwithfuel2022-05-12 12:35

    There are 2 larger relays in the fuse relay box behind the cab. One could be failed, it sounds that way based on description. Take the plastic cover off and see if it smells burnt. You'll know, it's a horrid stench. Check for oil further up, looks like it maybe coming from where draft tube plugs into rear gear case. On the back of the valve cover, there's a puck shaped valve which is your PCV and dumps to sump.

  19. #19Lagwagon2022-05-12 13:09

    Unfortunately I have no sense of smell and I can’t visit the machine again anyhow. I understand where your talking about in terms of the leak and if it’s something minor like that then it’s not a deal breaker, a rear main or pump seal is.