Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX120-2 track chain repairs

DFBluffton · 2022-05-08 10:55

Hi all on HEF. Have a Hitachi EX120-2, have been doing some repairs on, and now onto the track portion of help. Pic below shows how kinked they are, about 10-20 on each side. After power washing and putting penetrant lube on each link, they spin much better and started to free up and rotate without stopping the machine track from moving. Also, lifting machine and placing kinks on logs, did help move them, but many just returned as I spun the track. Is there potential to remove a link as they appear to be stretched and worn pretty good?

Replies38
  1. #1uffex2022-05-08 11:58

    Good day You have a common issue, see attached, there has been a recent post same problem. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2skyking12022-05-08 12:29

    I replaced the tracks on our 120 with new rails and pads and sprockets, 3 rollers for around 5600 last year. Just to give you some perspective. it required no special tooling and I did one per day, using my mini to make it easy. HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3DFBluffton2022-05-10 07:44

    Thanks for the above notes all. So, where/whom is a good outfit to buy chains from? Southeast is preferable for freight.

  4. #4DFBluffton2022-05-10 07:46

    Also, just had a local guy say he has some chains, he purchased a while back for his EX100. Other than measuring, how can I ensure fitment? These have 47 links, compared to EX120-2 at 44 links I believe.

  5. #5skyking12022-05-10 08:45

    I got mine from the John Deere dealer. They're ITR brand. Before you dig too far into this make sure that the sprockets are okay. I did sprockets with the new rails for my repair. I looked over the idlers and track rollers and only replaced a few. Now I have a couple more leakers, but it's no big deal to lift the machine up and pull out a roller without taking off the rails.

  6. #6uffex2022-05-11 04:26

    Good day You can use the attached wear measuring to compare track chains if the pitch and link height are the same they will fit. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7DFBluffton2022-05-11 08:20

    @uffex , thanks for the doc. May there be any documents on chains that show the pitch and height?

  8. #8DFBluffton2022-05-11 08:20

    Also, found a ZX120, SN: 70348, Does anyone know how to get tech specs if those tracks will work on an EX120-2? Not sure of ZX120 specs, but added the EX120-2,3,5 below. I do know both have 21 teeth sprockets EX120-2,-3,5 Specs: Pitch number: 44L Pitch(mm):171 Screw short pitch-row(mm):108 Screw long pitch-row(mm):108 Diameter of Track Pin(mm): Diameter of Screw hole(mm):17

  9. #9uffex2022-05-11 08:26

    Good day DF Maybe you could call your local chain outlet, most would have that data on file. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10John C.2022-05-11 10:50

    This is from my old Deere appraisal manual. It shows the same track pitch for a Deere 490D, E and 590D. New track pitch is 171.5 MM. That converts to about 6.68 inches.

  11. #11uffex2022-05-11 11:18

    Good day A complete cross-reference may help. Kind regards Uffex

  12. #12uffex2022-05-11 12:22

    Good day A contact posted me dash 3 spec. I am 95% sure it is the same. Kind regards Uffex

  13. #13DFBluffton2022-05-11 19:59

    Nice. Thanks all. Seems like the newer ZX tracks will fit. Will report back if I get them.

  14. #14DFBluffton2022-05-13 15:41

    Thanks all, tracks ordered. Guy said they are a direct fit. They have I think 24" pads compared to 20", so that hopefully is a benefit.

  15. #15maineplower2022-05-13 17:52

    What did those cost with the pads?

  16. #16skyking12022-05-13 19:35

    FYI I found my invoice for the 2 ITR track assemblies, two sprockets and two track rollers was $6120 I had mis-remembered.

  17. #17DFBluffton2022-05-15 11:43

    $2700 with sprockets, the machine had 1,000 hours, pics and other info, look like new.

  18. #18skyking12022-05-15 11:57

    there you go! that's a good solution.

  19. #19DFBluffton2022-07-24 10:14

    Just getting around to installing the tracks. I need two new master pins and cotter pin rings. May anyone know the part number for the master pins on a ZX120? SN:70348

  20. #20DFBluffton2022-08-05 21:04

    Ok track gurus. Which way do they go on? I just watched two controversial youtube videos. Does the wider part go towards the front of the machine so that the narrow part points towards the sprocket or the opposite?

  21. #21DFBluffton2022-08-09 20:25

    HEF - Ok, ZX 24" tracks are on. Now have a problem/question on tightening the idlers. After loosening grease fitting and all grease came out to loosen old tracks, when I go to put grease back in, it will not take any grease on both sides. I removed the 24mm fitting and applied grease went right through. Did I collapse the idler hydraulic piston too much on both sides somehow?

  22. #22John C.2022-08-09 21:29

    Did the idlers collapse back into the track frames when you let the grease out? It's pretty common on an old machine like yours for the track adjuster rods to get frozen into the barrels.

  23. #23DFBluffton2022-08-09 21:41

    @John C. , hi, yes they did move back some I believe as a lot of grease came out. Guessing they froze during this swap? What's interesting as the grease won't even go into the fitting, just squirts out around. When removed fitting, goes right in.

  24. #24John C.2022-08-10 00:04

    Damage on the tip of the grease fitting is the usual problem with grease coming out around the sides. A loose or worn out coupler is the other reason.

  25. #25uffex2022-08-10 03:44

    Good day Hitachi instructions attached trust it is of help. Kind regards Uffex

  26. #26DFBluffton2022-08-10 21:23

    Tracks are on! So newer ZX 24" tracks and sprockets fit the older machines. Also, thanks @John C. , I replaced both fitting heads on the grease port, as you could not spin off the entire fitting, and it worked great. So now onto my other thread adventures.

  27. #27NathanNZ2023-11-24 19:15

    Hi all New here I’m trying to remove a master pin on a zx120 track Which way does it come out ? Hit the side with circlip and dimple or the other side ? And hit thru past circlip side ? Thanks

  28. #28skyking12023-11-24 20:32

    you can remove the track without taking out the master pin, if that is your goal. Collapse the adjuster fully and suspend the machine by the bucket, and use another to pull it off.

  29. #29NathanNZ2023-11-24 20:54

    I’m trying to just drop the track at one end to remove the final drive (track motor) I’m just wanting to know which way the master pin goes out I’m presuming it goes out past the circlip end So hit the flat end not the dimple end of pin ?

  30. #30skyking12023-11-24 21:31

    yes it goes out the circlip end, or the circlip would be doing nothing to hold it in. After you beat on it for a while see my method or get a press.

  31. #31NathanNZ2023-11-24 21:40

    Yep that’s what I thought Thank you

  32. #32NathanNZ2023-11-24 21:41

    What’s your method

  33. #33skyking12023-11-24 22:16

    It's in the picture there. if you push the tension all the way in you can pull the rails off sideways with another machine. I had the carbody lifted up too high, but if you lowered it close to the ground but just out of the rollers then it slides off easily enough. It goes better on a hard surface or plywood. Those rails were shot and loose and the next stop was scrap, but you can slide off good ones also.

  34. #34NathanNZ2023-11-24 22:40

    Yep All good I’m guna turn this track around as it’s on backwards really The other side is correct It’s a new second hand machine to me recently

  35. #35skyking12023-11-24 23:12

    Haha. yeah. I have seen that on machinery trader too.

  36. #36DFBluffton2023-11-25 10:04

    As skyking said, you can push in tensioner all way track will come off. Had mine slip off many times when old tensioner was collapsed.

  37. #37RPMex2023-12-03 18:01

    How do you tell if a track is on backwards?

  38. #38NathanNZ2024-03-16 21:23

    It’s the way the links are facing One side was correct other was wrong Plates also tell the story too