Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC210BLC no power

Manu ยท 2019-12-10 01:48

This machine has an engine power problem or the hydraulic pump control system is not responding to increased load. Can anyone enlighten how this machine should be destroking the pumps? And what boost should the engine produce at its rated load.

Replies15
  1. #1mg23612019-12-10 04:28

    I see your new to HEF Manu, Welcome ! You might want to consider always posting a serial number. Most contributors will insist on that. The Volvo guys will be along shortly to help.

  2. #2uffex2019-12-10 05:54

    Good day Manu The machine has what is referred to as negative control this means when you use a circuit the pressure in the control line drains down, I have an animation on file but the file is not some thing I can load onto HEF if you post me a PM with your email address I will provide you with a link. If you would like a static explanation just ask. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3uffex2019-12-10 06:47

    Attached may be of help, from your post it is likely that the issue is that of the engine, hydraulics rarely self adjust. KR Uffex

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-12-10 13:14

    So, what exactly is your problem. No digging power, poor speed, smoke, what do you have going on?

  5. #5Manu2019-12-10 13:49

    I have not had opportunity to observe it but it has been reported that under heavy load it stalls the engine. I am not familiar with the hydraulic system on these machines but it seems from info I have received there is a powershift signal that would decrease the pump flow to decrease hydraulic horsepower to coincide with available engine horsepower. There maybe a problem with that system or the engine is also incapable of supply enough power. With Cat machines if I knew boost spec for the engine I would disconnect the powershift signal and feather a control with throttle at full setting and read the boost at full load speed.

  6. #6Manu2019-12-10 14:07

    Machine serial no. : EC210V11869

  7. #7funwithfuel2019-12-10 15:07

    Would advise running with throttle in any "F" position. In F the pumps are at max torque and fine control, if problem persists, we could begin to look at hydraulics, otherwise I am suggesting to focus on engine performance. Start with maintenance items. Filters. Follow with troubleshooting charged air system, boost leaks, blown hoses, cracks etc. If all that checks, inspect turbo wastegate and intake manifold. Gaskets commonly blow out of intake. Good luck, please follow up.

  8. #8Manu2019-12-11 19:31

    When I get a chance to go out to the machine...I will check it out..I have already told the operator to change engine oil and all filters...thanks

  9. #9Manu2019-12-14 01:40

    The engine speed at F is around 1400rpm there doesn't seem to be problem but at H the speed is about 2100 and when the stick is bottomed out the speed drops off to 1400. So it seems like an engine problem but filters are OK..and charge air system seems fine, turbo checks out..there is no wastegate..It is impossible to verify fuel pressure which could a culprit..I am suspecting the powershift signal is erratic: it seems very slow to respond..at first it at 400 psi...the engine speed would be about 1400rpm..sometimes it slowly raises to 500 psi..the spe

  10. #10Manu2019-12-14 01:44

    Powershift signal reaches 500 psi the engine speed will climb to 1900 rpm

  11. #11uffex2019-12-14 02:19

    Good day Manu We have seen similar issues please see attached may be helpful. Kind regards Uffex

  12. #12Manu2019-12-15 09:22

    It seems that the issue was caused by the valve inside the fuel filter. It seems like a flimsy setup: maybe its important that the fuel filter has to be pushed down hard on it to properly seat the little rubber disc. I would recommend to get the updated filter base with spin on filters instead of that hokey type. Thanks for your help.

  13. #13funwithfuel2019-12-15 09:50

    So, you're good? Up n running?

  14. #14Manu2019-12-15 14:06

    Yes..it is up and running for now...unless there is some transient electronic problem or fuel issue like a kink in the fuel suction hose that collapses and blocks the fuel from the tank.

  15. #15funwithfuel2019-12-15 14:29

    Well let's hope for none o' dat. Good job.