Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC210C Excavator Turbo System Problems

Gearup Transmission · 2020-11-11 23:56

I just bought this excavator and I run it for about 30 minutes and it keeps blowing the turbo hose (the one closest to the turbo) off. Its the little orange hose. I came to find out from the previous owner that it has had this problem for a little while. I contacted the dealer and talked with service manager and techs they have told me that the hose might be bad so I replaced it and same thing, then I replace the clamps too... all new. I talked back with dealer and they told me the charger air cooler could be stopped up, i pulled it to make sure that it was clean and clear. I talked again to the dealer and they then said it might be the turbo. I replaced the turbo and made sure the entire system was clean and clear, it is still doing the same thing!!!! Can someone, anyone please help me out and tell me what could be causing this problem.

Replies35
  1. #1Bls repair2020-11-12 00:31

    Photos would help

  2. #2southernman132020-11-12 03:55

    We had it happen on our EC290blc but it only did it one time. I chalked it up to the hose being loose. Tightened it up and never did it agin. Funwithfuel probably chime in shortly he’s very knowledgeable. Good luck ! Hope it’s a simple solution for ya

  3. #3sfrs42020-11-12 05:45

    Is this the orange pipe going down hill from the turbo coldside to the inter cooler? If so the metal pipe it fixes to shouldn't move, the bracket that bolts to the engine and to the pipe has a habit of coming loose so the pipe will move and the hose will come off, is your bracket bolted to the engine lenght ways with 3 bolts? there is a replacement bracket that bolts down the engine as shown in the picture below.

  4. #4Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 07:40

    yes thats it on the cold side i even replaced the bracket and new bolts because when i got the excavator it was not on there even all new clamps it blows the orange hose out of the clamps ( on old and new hose and clamps ) like it has to much pressure i have tried everything under the sun but no luck hoping someone has had or seen this problem before

  5. #5Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 07:55
  6. #6Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 07:56

    it has all new bolts and brackets and clamps still doing the same thing you see in the pictures

  7. #7Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 07:59

    its not always the same spot sometimes top clamp or bottom clamp on the orange hose

  8. #8sfrs42020-11-12 08:00

    Does the machine run without the turbo connected? the only other place for restriction is the pre heater, have you checked that?

  9. #9sfrs42020-11-12 08:12

    You said you had a new turbo? new complete unit with wastegate actuator? and its all free and moving correctly, what serial number is the machine?

  10. #10Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:12

    Are talking about where it goes in to the engine I see some heat bars there can you explain what’s I’m looking for or at and I will take that apart and look also

  11. #11Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:20
  12. #12Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:21

    yes it brand new turbo (whole unit )

  13. #13Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:24

    how much pressure should it take to open the wastegate actuator just by watching the machine run it looks like it blows the hose and the actuator never moves on old and new turbo

  14. #14Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:26

    yes it runs just a loud nose from the hose being off

  15. #15Vetech632020-11-12 08:39

    That’s an odd clamp/hose set-up to me. Usually the hose ends are on a smoothe fit surface using high torque screw clamps. IDE bet something is not quite aligned right so the hose and clamp fit isn’t what it needs to be.

  16. #16Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:40
  17. #17Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:43

    here's pictures of the new unit where it just blow the hose and i started to take it back apart that why no bolts are in bracket and all hose and clamps came from Volvo and look just like the old type that came off the machine

  18. #18Vetech632020-11-12 08:44

    The hose doesn’t look right to me. I see a mount hole or 2 on the aftercooler tube there. Have you tried shimming it up closer to the turbo outlet?

  19. #19Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:47

    that's one of the ways it looks after it blows the hose on one end or the other

  20. #20Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 08:50

    it all lines up and looks good before it blows hose this picture is of it after it blows the hose

  21. #21Vetech632020-11-12 08:54

    ....and there is no grease/ oil on the hose or clamps.......correct?

  22. #22Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 09:11

    none and they are all new and i wiped them down to make sure

  23. #23Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 09:13

    i have done everything possible i could think of with no luck yet

  24. #24Vetech632020-11-12 09:17

    You haven’t tried super glue on that hose yet. LOL

  25. #25Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 09:20

    my friend said that the other day just about wanted to try it i even was thinking about make a tube to replace that hose its been a pain in my a-- ever since i got it i have never got to use it yet

  26. #26sfrs42020-11-12 10:25

    How long on average does it last before blowing off? I can't find anything to suggest a given boost pressure that it should operate the wastegate at but i'd hazard a guess before the pipe blows off lol. Can some start it and you hold the wastegate open to see if it lasts longer than normal, and slowly close it and see if it pops off before its closed until it pops off

  27. #27Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 11:00

    I will check it in a little while and I’ll repost back

  28. #28Bls repair2020-11-12 11:52

    I agree with vtec it’s not lining up straight .where do these bolt holes go? (Red) Is this the right tube ,flex hose ?(green) looks to long to me. Can you make a clamp to hold these together?(yellow)

  29. #29fastline2020-11-12 13:13

    It might be time to get a pressure gauge on the intake piping unless you can invoke boost pressure readings in the cab. A simple air pressure gauge in the right range will do. In may cases I have drilled/tapped and just install a plug after repairs. It sounds like an over boost situation and the wastegate needs to control that. If wastegate is not right, it may over boost when you chop throttle from WOT. The engine rpms will drop faster than the turbo unspools. This is where the waste gate needs to dump the extra pressure.

  30. #30suladas2020-11-12 13:44

    If the turbo was replaced by previous owner and they had the problem occurring and couldn’t fix it, have you checked over the parts to ensure it’s factory and something isn’t changed out causing it? I have the exact same machine, never had this issue but will be looking at it now to see.

  31. #31funwithfuel2020-11-12 17:33

    Check your charged air cooler. I'm guessing you have bits of air filter radial seal plugging the cooler. The other possibility is you have broken turbo compressor wheel stuck in that boost pipe, probably at the bend. Good luck

  32. #32Gearup Transmission2020-11-12 19:20

    working on it will post an update soon to see if this works thanks for the help yall

  33. #33skata2020-11-12 19:44

    Have you checked the motor mounts? Could the motor be moving too much under load, and yanking on the pipe?

  34. #34lantraxco2020-11-13 00:38

    Can't tell how well it lines up in the photos, have you tried loosening the clamp on the turbo housing and rotating it so the outlet is closer to the tube end?

  35. #35Volvomad2020-11-22 17:24

    Are both sides of the of the hose clamps identical ? Is there a right and a wrong way to fit them ? Not just putting them on the way they were when you got it . Sometimes the wastegate opening pressure is marked on the diaphram cannister . Either way , its probably around 20psi. Under what conditions does it blow the pipi off ?