Hi, Serial - VCEC210CL0012080X We got this machine few weeks back - every time to start first time in morning we had to use the hand primer on fuel filter it would stay going for an hour maybe or longer than would die out again as if air is slowly getting into system comes up clogged fuel filter on dash I’ve done the following in order with first to last changed fuel filter and inspection bowel Didnt help so I had ordered the filter type without the clear inspection bowel at bottom and that also did not work I will change hoses from tank to filter and filter housing to high pressure pump I’ve searched the threads and I’ve seen some guys have high pressure fuel pump issues and the relief valve on rail ? I hope the hose changing will Solve but I’m not sure it will. Thanks guys - I’ve inculded pics of serial plate
Did you check the fuel tank vent?
what should I be looking for with it ? Just clean ? Is it a serviceable part ? I assume check for blockages.
Just clean it.
Ok so that was clean - same as usual has to prime the fuel filter just now to start it going about an hour - went to track and it cut out - I must say it does seem to cut out more so when I’m tracking ?? But always when I go to machine in morning it needs to be hand primed to start - going to change some hard hoses on low pressure side this week. Noticed few now seem to be quite hard and slightly cracked but any suggestions would be great
Good day Have you tried the OEM fuel filter? Kind regards Uffex
These Baldwin owns are a top filter brand // the old one was an original also. Both same issue. I’ve spotted a few hoses with cracks that are sweating slightly - gonna do them and take it from there. Just odd when it’s tracking it seems to cut out. That’s worrying me slightly
I’ll upload some pictures tomorrow of progress
I’m going to order a OEM filter also
Good day A couple of points that may be worth a check, inside the tank you have a screen filter if this gets semi blocked as well as the gear pump which has a couple of check valves allowing bypass when priming, both can cause loss of fuel pressure. As best, I recall the machine will burn more power and fuel when tracking, this could account for fault showing up when travelling. I suggest to plumb a pressure gauge into the feed side of the fuel filter, you are looking for approx 5-7 bars. Kind regards Uffex
Ok what gear pump ? As in high pressure fuel pump ? I would have thought their be a 12volt primer pump to pressure up to high pressure pump on first turn of key every time in morning when I go to start I have to hand prime to let air out and fill the filter with diesel than she starts easily until she cuts out again. I did ask another guy I had on it last night did it cut out when tracking and he said now he wasn’t. I don’t wan t to confuse the thread. I’ll plumb in but cannot see me getting that pressure. It must be a cracked hose somewhere. Thanks For the info I’m going asleep I’ll see how busy my day is tomorrow and I’ll pick up a pressure guage when getting hose. God I love this forum. It’s the simple things. Thanks again. We sell plant and machinery - I don’t like rushing into big repair work just take it one step at a time. Only way. It’s usually something simple… always sign of a good mechanic when he starts with from the fuel tank to high pressure pump not straight to high pressure pump and injectors !! Those people aren’t mechanics they are people who enjoy giving bad news most of the time and haven’t a clue !!
I wonder does this model have that goofy fuel pump built into the belt tensioner or is it a more traditional transfer pump? Maybe something like one of the check valves in the transfer pump is going bad. The transfer pump is what I believe uffex was referring to.
The fault code is over a year and a half old, so I very much doubt that has anything to do with the fault you are currently having. is that a new water trap filter head? with new primer? so should be no issues there, have you looked at the PRV ( Pressure Relief Valve ) on the end of the fuel rail? if that's periodically sticking open and dumping pressure it could cause the problems you are describing. @Acecadet mentioned, it does have the belt driven low pressure pump. it would be worth removing it, stripping and cleaning it, there is a none return valve in there.
Good day See attched may answer your questions. Kind regards Uffex
Oops missed from the post. Kind regards Uffex
So far, you've been given solid advice. I personally recommend only OEM filters when it comes to Volvos. Having been a dealer mechanic for years, one thing was most frustrating. Aftermarket, will-fit filters caused me a lot of lost time in troubleshooting. I got to the point where if they weren't factory, they were the first thing I changed. Amazing how many problems that one thing solved. Stay away from the safety valve on the rail end. If that were faulty, you likely wouldn't start at all. You're on the right path. Focus on the low side. It certainly sounds like starvation. Is there any chance you can rig up a vacuum gauge at your water separator leading to the lift pump? We don't want to see more than 4" at full throttle, no load. No more than 6" full throttle against stall, ie stalled tracks. Also mentioned ,was close inspection of the belt driven lift pump. These have been relatively trouble free in the excavator application. That said, these machines are getting some age on them so it shouldn't be overlooked. It's a pretty simple solution. Just check the pulley (belt unloaded) for wobble or fore / aft play on shaft. Most importantly, look for dust collection that smells like fuel. That's a dead giveaway. Good luck
Wrong pump buddy. Thats the wheel loader application. Excavator is much more stout and has a serpentine pulley as opposed to V-belt.
Good day The pump illustration is from the B series, just to give the guy the correct location and idea what to go for. There have been a few cases of pump trouble this side, we always recommend removing the pump to take it apart and clean the stuck check valves, not very tolerant to contamination. Checking the output pressure will be the correct way to point post filter or pre-filter. Kind regards Uffex
I believe the attached description is identical to that posted by Uffex. The fuel pump is basically the same internally. Again, I'd check the pulley for stinky dirt before I disassembled anything. Good luck.
Thanks for help guys today I took off the low pressure fuel hose from tank to filter and filter to HP pump - no leaks on pressure testing I left the fuel cap slightly off to check if it was causing issue and wasn’t as it still stalled about an hour in going to check strainer in fuel tank tomorrow and OEM filter
What error do you get when it dies? 128-96 or 97?
This is the error I get attached but when it dies it comes up with a red flashing engine issue or something like that. I haven’t went into the service mode yet - I’ll venture into that tomorrow maybe I can get more accurate info from that maybe The copper washer onto fuel tank was in bad shape so I’ll put some thread tape and new copper washer on there. guys thanks again for the help. I’ve attached picture of the error I get always keeps saying filter is clogged hopefully this strainer is blocked tomorrow or OEm filters work - I’ll try my local supplier for filters but could be few days waiting. I’m going to call previous owner - was got at auction but his details where on machine - I’ll bell him tomorrow and see if they can enlighten me. Added some pictures I took today - not going to help but how and ever
Them pdf are great but I don’t think I’ve the same setup - I’ll definitely check that charge pump / feed pump to see if it’s on mine tomorrow - I’m sure the pipe from my first filter just went straight into the High pressure pump like shown but maybe it’s actually a charge pump I didn’t inspect closely because I was focused on low pressure side - in . See the highlighted picture - we changed that pipe today although was good - that’s coming straight from first filter with hand primer on it - ignore the hand just see the highlighted pipe
Right , you should have what is in the PDF pictures, the engine serial number is correct for the machine serial number 120803 ( which is what you supplied bar the last number) , the two people helping you have an absolute wealth of knowledge and manufacturer information at their finger tips. so what they say is pretty much gospel. The low pressure pump is currently my favourite, and will cost you nothing but time to inspect first and maybe take off and clean the none return valve. The drawings are a very simplified version of what you have on the machine not a to scale or even routed layout, so take what you look at and the picture with a pinch of salt.
Took of low pressure pump - nothing obvious but who knows Took off the bottom plate on fuel tank to inspect the strainer - turns out it was taken off by last owner - was a bit of sludge in bottom of tank - as in there is no strainer on it on the main fuel filter housing / not the water separator - is there check valve on the main filter ? also electrical lad did alternator when she arrived first and before that she didn’t seem to have this issue as started without priming filter?? Wonder is the belt on way out that drives the alternator and low pressure charge pump ?? Or maybe the tensioner? think it’s time to get the pressure guages out on low and medium pressure lines before and after the charge and when it dies check for the pressure dropping to see where this fuel loss is… I may change the breather on top of fuel tank too waiting on original Volvo filters want to check the old water filter head unit to see if the check valve was clogged might be worth pulling injectors out and testing ? ?
Honestly, if you're going to check the injectors, you might as well replace them. Nobody seems to be able to check them properly. Prior to that, I'd check every fitting between the tank and fuel/water separator, especially elbow and bulkhead fittings. Trash gets hung up in places like these. Sticks, grass, dirt, plastic plugs and sandwich bags. Especially with no sump strainer. That guy did you no favors there.
I just wonder if the previous owner has had muck in the tank, then had issues they couldn't figure after removing all they could, so have moved it on as a bad job. maybe worth resigning yourself to this being a big job and pull the fuel tank and full fuel system etc and thoroughly clean the lot out, seems strange that the strainer has been removed is all. when you say you took the the low pressure pump off, did you clean out the check valve and give it a good blow through.