Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC210CL quick coupler

code_xi · 2023-02-20 05:54

Hi all, Just few weeks ago bought EC210CL in "project condition". Serial 1204xx. Lots of things to maintain and repair here and there. As a first info I-ECU was replaced with a chinese one just before buying and seems to be working OK. According the previous owner it was ordered with machine serial number. Currently the most annoying issue seems to be that quick coupler release/closing not working. If pressing the release button on LH panel I-ECU is not reacting for that, no beebing or icons. Fuses etc checked OK. Now just wondering if the issue is with chinese programmed I-ECU, quick coupler is not included in parameters..? Ideas how to start solving this? Havent yet tried with old I-ECU where only the display panel is told to be faulty.

Replies20
  1. #1funwithfuel2023-02-20 06:26

    There should be a switch on the right panel as well. You start by press and hold the left switch and then activate the right switch at the same time. This is a safety feature. Good luck.

  2. #2code_xi2023-02-20 06:45

    No another switch on the left panel. This right side switch ifself is secured with additional button. Similar setup as in the video on the link below:

  3. #3funwithfuel2023-02-20 08:55

    Ok. Lets start at the beginning. I am attaching the schematic for your concern. Make sure you have power at the fuse. The high load relays 3101 3102 are represented by 15A & 15B in schematics. These will sometimes not send power. Maybe try swapping between the 2. The other possibility, is as you suspect, that the parameter may not be enabled. If memory serves, that should be dependent on the VECU and the I-ECU should be a slave to the VECU. Unfortunately, without VCADS or techtool, I know of no other way to enable the parameters. Good luck

  4. #4uffex2023-02-20 10:38

    Good day Is the coupler the same as the YouTube there must be a host of differing couplers around, some have a different lock & release system. Some rely on main pressure from the bucket cylinder bottoming out. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5funwithfuel2023-02-20 10:40

    I was thinking the same, whether it's an S1 or a UQF . OP states, no warning or feedback from I-ECU.

  6. #6code_xi2023-02-20 15:17

    Thanks for the assistance. Unfortunately I was not able to investigate this issue tonight, spent only few hours to replace leaking freeze plug on the engine block. Not so comfortable in -10C temperature with wet hands... Can you clarify the difference S1 vs UQF? But this attached schema seems to be valid for this machine. And the lock should get pressure from the bucket cylinder.

  7. #7funwithfuel2023-02-20 15:20

    S1 is a wedge lock type coupler. Buckets won't work on anything else. UQF, universal quick fit. Basically it's a pin grabber. It uses pilot oil to work and trapped main to lock and unlock.

  8. #8code_xi2023-02-21 01:53

    OK. Seems our Scandinavian standards for bucket couplers are little different. But anyway mine is this wedge type, operated with 2-act cylinder. Just wondering how I should read the parameter list... List showing states 0 or 1 for quick fit solenoid, does it mean option available on that machine or operation active or inactive. Didnt check it locally on the machine yet, will alongside only in couple of days again.

  9. #9funwithfuel2023-02-21 06:38

    You have the service tool? You can see and change parameters? You want to see a 1. One is enabled, zero is disabled. Did you verify power coming from 15A ?

  10. #10code_xi2023-02-21 06:46

    No I dont have service tool but somehow understood that those are readable thru I-ECU service mode.

  11. #11funwithfuel2023-02-21 06:49

    That is the status of the solenoid. That's saying whether or not power is being sent to the solenoid. So when you flip the switch, it should flip zero to one. Again, I'd check path of power per schematics

  12. #12code_xi2023-02-21 06:57

    Will check service mode menu if this solenoid option appears there. Also power line to be checked when back to machine in couple of days. Daily work disturbing hobbies...

  13. #13code_xi2023-02-24 04:50

    Was able to do some short investigation yesterday with service menu. So this Hydraulics/Solenoid menu 6(10) shows this Quickfit solenoid with state '0'. Pressing the quick fit release button doesnt change the state. But Electrics/ On/off 03(12) menu show quick fit switch state, and that reacts for button. Measured also all fuses, all OK from both sides, only voltage little bit low in fuse box, abt 21Volts and directly from batteries 28V. Both while engine running. But found electrics menu 1(12)showing V-ECU voltage only 0.6V. And on menu 11(12) V-ECU state jumping between 0/1. Should this be normal or not... no clue. Not other related DTC active, only engine temp sensor and and engine can shaft rpm sensors.

  14. #14funwithfuel2023-02-24 06:48

    .6 volts is inadequate for VECU. the cycling of off to on is indicative of a failed relay or poor connection. Switch status shows what the network sees as an input. You are telling the machine, " release the coupler" The output to solenoid status doesn't change. That's either because the VECU isn't properly powered up or the parameter is not enabled. I would investigate power feeds first. It's not waking up, the supply voltage is insufficient. That's your starting point.

  15. #15code_xi2023-02-24 12:58

    If enough time tomorrow will try to check/swap those RE3102 RE3101. Service menu Electricity / On/off 11(12) show 'V-ECU power relay '0'', 'V-ECU state '0''. Any ideas for this low voltage in fusebox?

  16. #16code_xi2023-03-09 18:19

    Probably some progress with coupler. Got the original I-ECU and tested with black display. At least the quick fit button activated the beep in I-ECU and I was able to disable the beep with another button. Was not able to run the machine due other repairs. So the reason for seems to be incorrect/missing parameters on chinese I-ECU. Original device was sent to electronics workshop for display element replace, should get it back tomorrow. Also replaced RE3101 and RE3102 and that fixed the low voltage on fusebox. But service menu still shows low voltage for V-ECU. Will continue investigation during the weekend if weather allows.

  17. #17funwithfuel2023-03-09 18:22

    See the attached, it may help in direction

  18. #18funwithfuel2023-03-09 18:28

    Look at the emergency switch SW9103. There could be dirt in the contacts, especially if someone recently bumped it.

  19. #19code_xi2023-03-14 08:13

    Again progress. Repaired old I-ECU solved the issues. Everything related working and also V-ECU voltage shows reasonable readings, abt 28V while running. Now the question is how to re-program the chinese I-ECU with missing parameters. Or will it be possible to re-program this I-ECU to be used in another machine.

  20. #20Cavalry Equipment Repair2024-12-05 06:26

    I am having a similar problem with a ec160 I recently replaced the iecu on... How did you make out? We're you able to get the Chinese screen (iecu) to activate the coupler?