first time doing this forum thing , but here I go. my ec 240b has been showing 187 no signal to ecu. it ran fine for a few days and then started acting up. it would lose power and I guess say stall out . I would have to turn the machine off and restart for it to go back to work. that has been working until lately I have to do that way to often . don't know if anyone else has had problem similar to this and how likely is it to be the ecu. they are on the expensive side to not know for sure.
That error pertains to an internal error in the VECU. You can try to have your dealer reprogram the ECU and see if that helps But more than likely the VECU is faulty. Does the machine run in Manual mode without issues?
I have a 2005 210b that did the same thing. the ecu has something vibrated loose in it. I was told by my Volvo tech that they had problems in those years. actually had a program for replacing them for awhile. Mine finally was doing it 3-4 times a day. replaced the ecu, a couple years ago and no problems. I think I was around $3800. my machine had 4000hrs on it when it got replaced.
Thanks for the response. It seemed to have problem going into manual mode. Once i got it in my monitor didn't show the no signal message . But the engine would still stall out a few times a day. I would kill the machine and restart few minutes later to continue work. I know anything is possible but how likely is it the ecu sine it does act up in manual mode?
I may have misunderstood. on mine the engine would quite running. than I would cycle the key and it would start back up and be fine for awhile. you are saying the hydraulics stall out or just quite working?
hi Mack Most of the issue relating to a ECU failure will be a permiment event not intermittent, intermittent are more likely to be a connector issue. Suggest you take a close look at those connections involved. Switching from auto to manual in effect will by-pass the machine ECU and control the Engine ECU only. Kind regards Uffex
I have check the power and ground going to the vecu and all good. I read somewhere on hear that some relays could cause similar problem. The machine will run fine for a while and then start running rough and will chock down and kill the engine. Restart and run fine again anywhere from 15 min to 3 hrs till choked down again . Kind of hard to explain here but going from auto to manual and back and forth few times a day to see if anything changes and can't say that it does. On auto still 187 on signal to ecu showing on monitor. Sorry for the long post.
Good day Mack Lets get on the same level so we have a good picture of your machine - In manual mode if the machine runs rough it has nothing to do with the machine ECU as it has been by-passed, can still be a CAN bus error. start with this establish if the problem is there in manual mode it is important to get to the root issue by illimination. Kind regards Uffex
I omitted to mention that the engine speed controller will not work in manual mode so please do not be alarmed use the three position switch for engine speed.
Hears my update. I have replaced the VECU ( the one in the cab) and the "no signal to ecu " is gone on the monitor. But now my problem is 1st thing - the machine will not crank when I turn the key, after thinking for awhile I decided to flip the switch back to manual mode and then it cranked and started. Tried several times and that's the only way it will start is in manual mode. 2nd- after running for about half an hour it started kissing power again, acting like a fuel filter but I have changed them 3 times in the last 10 hrs of running. To me it just acts like it's staving for fuel ( but how knows). I shut it down for 10 minuets and she will start back and run fine for 10 min. Shut it down all night and will run 30 min. Any ideas.
Sorry for type o It's not kissing power it losing power. And who knows.
Good day Mack I will try to suggest some resolution in steps first the fuel starvation issue I recall some of these machines had a soft rubber fuel feed hose, this was prone to collapsing at bends normally this was as a result of the feed connection at the tank becoming partially blocked so please check this out. I will digest what you have found replacing the vehicle ECU and come back with some ideas. Kind regards Uffex
View attachment 240B electric.pdf Good day Mack Taken a look at your issue there appears to be two possible sources of the problem, 1/ the control lock out switch is not signalling the relay 3301 (Safety start) 2/ The generator is giving a signal to prevent cranking. Its fooling the relay into thinking the engine is running. We have put some information together for you please see attached. Kind regards Uffex
187 no signal This error is determined at the condition : IECU does not receive 1?Hz clock signal from VECU which indicates VECU is alive. there is a line of the signal between iecu and vecu. *. vecu does not send the signal : a. vecu hw fault b. vecu power supply fault c. auto/manual switch fault d. ..... × manual mode + vecu power off; this leads to no vehicle control such as auto idling, engine mode control, pump power control depending on modes, no travel speed change. + in engine control, some predefined rpm is set and no other special on engine except the engine speed is set to the speed. + in pump control, about 70% of p-mode torque will be set. Actuator maximum speed is dependent on the engine rpm and hyd power is dependent on the torque×rpm.
I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the water seaperater and that did the job. I worked the machine for a hard 1 hour and it never missed a lick . I did drain all the fuel and thought it would be a good idea to check the screen in the tank. It was good. I reacon with a few hydrolic leaks I had and a minor fuel leak it was all running together and I was thinking just a hydro leak. My 2nd problem is still their, and that's the key will not start engine unless it's in manual mode. After starting and before switching back to auto the battery light stays on and zero volts , they maybe normal in manual mode. After flipping to auto the battery light goes off and I assume it is then being monitored by the computer. I did notice that the travel speed did not want to change from low to high that hour I was running . Does any of this add up to anything y'all could think of. I'd also so like to say THANK YOU so much for this help. This is one great place to come to when these machine are about to pull all your hair out.
Replacing the fuel line from tank to water separator fix one problem.
My other problem is cranking with the key. Still has to be in manual mode. I do have some codes appearing . 187. 251. 1 187 ppid 1190. 4 187 ppid 1190. 5
Good day Mack Please make one check before we get deeper with a helper switch the key on and off you should feel the start relay kicking in and out. If it does not check the "R2" & "ACC" outputs of the key switch. KR Uffex
Ok I sure will. I'll let you know tomorrow .
Just recommend to check Di02.. Di01 line is vecu output to maintain the main battery relay at key off for just few seconds to shutdown and vecu always output 24v in key on state. if the di02 is wrong the 24v pass back through the diode and the node of alternator is cheated that the engine is running. so consequently cranking is not possible at auto mode.
Will do that to. I have been tied up last few days while the machine has been working . I hope to get back on it sometimes this week. Thanks for all the help.
Mack as Uffex and DSK replied both areas are good places to check for issues and can be an issue. The codes you stated your machine sis diplaying are related to two things. The Mid 128 Sid 251 FMI 1 refers to too low voltage(<18v) at connector B pins 15 & 16 on the VECU. This is supplied through the auto manual selector switch. Make sure you have battery voltage the the auto/manual switch on pin 1 and the same out of the switch on pin 2 in auto mode. Voltage should go to 0 when switched to manual. The switch is fed by fuse 13. The next 2 codes Mid 187 Ppid 1190 FMI 4&5 pertain to current to the power shift solenoid. You either have a broken wire, Bad coil or harness issue.
After running the excavator for awhile now , me problem is back. It will run fine for the first hour or so and then start bogging down . I'm going dig in the key switch first and work on tracing wires down . The engine will start missing even at ideal and have no power , then shut machine off / restart and it may run fine for 5 min or all day. I never know. I hope some u folks are still around to give me ideas on where to look.