Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC240B turn table leak

Mack4255 ยท 2016-11-27 20:30

The turn table on my 240b will fill up with hyrdrolic oil and when machine tilts it pours right out. Can anyone tell me if that's the swing motor leaking or what would be a possible leak to be in the turn table. I'm afraid it's washing all the grease out of the slew bearing.( I think that's what u call the big bearing that the machine spins on). Any help I would apreaciat.

Replies10
  1. #1clintm2016-11-27 21:00

    is it hyd oil or gear oil out of the swing gear box

  2. #2Mack42552016-11-27 22:18

    It is hyrdrolic oil . It looses 5-8 gallons a day. It all runs out of the turn table , if you stand in front of machine , it pours out where the machine spins on the bottom half of carriage . Along the crack where you grease the turn table.

  3. #3skata2016-11-27 23:03

    is there any play in the turn table?

  4. #4uffex2016-11-28 04:56

    View attachment 240 Swing transmission.pdf Good day Mack Please see attached. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5tctractors2016-11-28 15:51

    The oil can come from a few locations like damaged hose but the most probable cause is the Rotary Coupling (Centre Joint) this can flood down into the grease path and flow out via the table bearing. tctractors

  6. #6John C.2016-11-28 20:07

    Have you checked the oil in the swing reduction gear under the swing motor. If the motor is leaking there will be oil coming out of the dipstick tube.

  7. #7wrwtexan2016-11-28 20:18

    I'm dealing with the same problem on a Hitachi EX120 and it is the center pivot manifold leaking. I have stripped the lower half down and removed the retaining ring and bolts. Now how do I get the manifold off of the kingpin? I assumed it would drop off after removing the bolts but it didn't. Will gently pulling down and prying on the mounting base get it to drop?

  8. #8uffex2016-11-29 04:26

    Hitachi 120 centre joint Good day wrwtexan See attached may help. Kind regards Uffex View attachment Hitachi 120.pdf

  9. #9wrwtexan2016-11-29 09:48

    Thanks uffex; that is a bit more clear than JD's illustration. From the pic, it should slide down with a bit of force applied.

  10. #10Mack42552016-12-11 14:04

    Thanks uffex I found the swing joint leaking and the rubber boot around it was bad. Got the leaks fixed and the boot replaced. So far so good. I do have another question . Don't know if should start a new post though.