Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC240LC Hydraulic Issues

Kyle Turner ยท 2024-08-19 22:23

I have a 2001 Volvo EC240LC excavator. Out of nowhere, we fired the machine up this morning & the final drive quit working and the bucket curling became extremely slow in both directions at the same time. The final drive is not locked up. I have an auxiliary pedal in the machine, and when pressed at the same time of attempting to track, the final drive will engage and the track will move normal until the auxiliary pedal is released. The aux pedal does not affect the speed of the curling in and out though. Does anyone by chance have the hydraulic diagram or a service manual for this machine? It would be extremely appreciated, as well as any input on what may have caused this.

Replies11
  1. #1funwithfuel2024-08-19 23:06

    One pump is missing the signal to stroke up. Do you know how to get into the service screen? Monitor pump 1 & 2. Boom up slowly , both pumps should show somewhat equal pressure until you reach end of travel, then you should revert back to 1 pump. I'm willing to bet one of your pump sensors have failed.

  2. #2Ben Witter2024-08-20 17:28

    Which series straight B or C series? Only C series has pressures in service mode. First thing I would do is try it in manual mode to see if that makes a change. OOPs I see yr is 2001 so straight series and no pressure sensors. So still try manual mode first. Then you will need to put gauges on the pump output and negative control pressures.

  3. #3funwithfuel2024-08-20 17:29

    Good catch, I thought he posted it was a C but I see low it was the generic LC.

  4. #4Kyle Turner2024-08-20 20:51

    This machine doesn't have a service screen, * I'm n This machine doesn't have a service screen unfortunately. But that makes sense. I'll see if I can get my hand on some guages and pull some pressures that way.

  5. #5Kyle Turner2024-08-20 20:55

    I'm going to see if I can get ahold of some pressure guages and check it out. It's currently in manual mode cause we've done away with the throttle box & installed a manual pull knob on it to idle up & down.

  6. #6Ben Witter2024-08-21 07:10

    Does the travel and bucket function work correctly in manual mode? If it does then I would be looking at the power shift solenoid. It could be a bad VEDU or possibly something in the engine speed sensor that could cause this.

  7. #7Kyle Turner2024-08-21 22:34

    No sir, it doesn't. The manual mode is what the machine has to stay in at all times because the computer throttle system was removed a while back. The engine is all mechanical at this point, but has never cuased any issues. I've had the machine for about 2 years now. We run it near about every day, and never had an issue before. Also, what is a VEDU? Thanks

  8. #8Ben Witter2024-08-22 08:38

    Sorry typo, I meant VECU-vehicle ecu. But seeing you are in manual mode that should not apply. I am thinking you either have a negative control signal or pump regulation issue. you can always cap and plug the power shift solenoid valve to make sure that is not an issue.

  9. #9Snofighter2026-01-17 11:02

    have a 2001 ec240lc all of a sudden we lost half of our hydronic power in all function and engine at full power. Has a brand new pump on it. Ran it for half a day then this problem happened

  10. #10funwithfuel2026-01-17 11:11

    First thing, welcome to the forums. Swing by new member introductions and say hi. Second, let's start a new thread, rather than resurrect an old one. Last, make sure you post model and generation. ie 240 straight, B,C etc. Do you have any options fitted? Hammer, shear, brush cutter, whatever. Why did you fit a new pump? What failed and to what degree. Did you change oil and filters, and the case drain? Did you service the sump strainer? What functions work and don't work. We'll try to help, but we need details to steer you in the right direction.

  11. #11Innocent bystander2026-01-17 20:36

    If I remember correctly even in manual mode pump signal still goes through bypass switch(each pump on seperate contacts) and switch could have failed.