Good Day All, So, I have finally got to the point of removing my main boom cylinder for rebuild. I need some advice if any of you can help. The cylinder is in my shp with the piston retracted. I would like to pull it out to replace seals. The piston is very stiff and I am unable to remove by pulling by hand(duh). I dont want to damage anything. any advice would be apreciated.
Remove the gland nut and then use a come-a-long connected to a strap through the eye hole. Do NOT use compressed air to try to blow it out. It will diesel and blow the piston out the cylinder and down the street. Usually, removing the gland nut is the hardest part. That oil looks pretty black. When is the last time it was changed?
Not unusual for it to be hard to pull the rod out. If you pull it with a come-a-long or a vehicle would be good to thread the gland nut in a few threads so the rod doesn't come flying out and get damaged. Some people have used air to help push the piston/rod out.
Thank,you for the advice. I was on that track for removal by pulling with another machine,but unsure if there was somthing else that I would force when pulling it out. I'm thinking that I have enough eqipment to pull it with out air. The oil is black but not as dark as it looks in the pic. I purchased this old machine last winter. it was low on fluid then, and I knew it had leaks, but this piston pretty much blew out. The oil that drained when I removed the lines was much clearer. the piston must have retained some of the old stuff. My plan is to replace seals each piston but not all at the same time. this one is the worst. Thanks again I will see how it goes.
Make sure to have a hose on the other port in a pail to catch all the oil that comes out when the rod is pulled.
Sorry for the late response. thank you all for your help. I did thy cylinder rebuild. no issues. i removed all of the seals and took tem to a local hydrauliv repair. was able t buy new ones and install everything works great.
Thanks for the update. Hows the machine dig? We always love pictures!
You know, it digs great. I have used for a crane and to dig out a cattle guard in rocky soil (big rocks and hard pan). I will try to get some picks as soon as she's running again. I still need to do some painting and restoration on her looks ( Cosmetics You Know ) It has lots of lift power and great for around the farm.
P&H weren't a bad machine in their day and have pretty standard components. Just loud if it has a Detroit 2 stroke. They are known to leak. New a guy that bought 5 H418 and 1 updated 1250.