Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ec390

Ct Farmer ยท 2016-12-08 23:44

Just picked up a decent 1998 Volvo ec390 (45ton). Engine is Volvo TD103 KAE. Always have had mostly Cat equipment but needed a bigger machine on the farm and this fit my budget. Couldn't find a usable Cat for close to the money so here I am with a few questions. Does anybody have any experiance with an ec390 or for that matter any of the post Akerman pre-samsung Volvo's? Pros and cons? Also would like to find an operator's manual. Have the service manuals and engine manual but those lack basic maintenance and service intervals etc. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1uffex2016-12-09 04:46

    Good day Ct Farmer Sorry I do not have the operators manual but worked with the product for some years a little prone to heating issues from the hydraulics we have a limited amount of information if you need something specific we will try to source it. By all means drop me an email. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2uffex2016-12-09 04:57

    Over looked I do have a copy of the product manual in PDF format if that helps.

  3. #3mike9442017-01-12 09:28

    i assume from your username you're in Connnecticut? Make friends with Tom V from Bristol (Veronesi welding & repair) He's an Akerman expert (and the pre-samsung Volvos are rebadged Akermans) When i first got my Akerman H10BLC, i had him come out for an hour or so, and look it over, and a (non-disassembly) check-over. it was well worth it. He's a super-nice guy, and not stingy about sharing knowledge.

  4. #4tool_king2017-01-12 21:13

    Hi uffex Could I get a copy of the Volvo ec390 operation manual .My email is [email protected] Thank you Ed

  5. #5Ct Farmer2017-01-12 22:22

    Mike944 - yes I'm in CT. Thanks for the info. I have discovered a crack in the boom that needs repair and from what I've seen on here of Tom's work (impressive) I need to contact him in the spring to do the welding. If he knows a bit about these older Volvo's that is extra incentive to get him over here. I'll post a few pictures next week of the crack to get a few thoughts. Right now the machine is inop as I'm fixing a lot of electrical issues that had been let go or hacked over the years. Lots of wire to nowhere and stuff that shouldn't be there. Had to replace a few burned traces on the relay board and some touchy switches. Worst is some damage to the ECU main board in the throttle control area. That one is going to take a bit of work. Pulling the bucket cylinder soon for a rebuild as the rod has some deep gouges and needs to be plasma sprayed and reground. No parts from Volvo so gotta source the pieces. Got to get the 3304 back together and in the Cat first...

  6. #6mike9442017-02-08 10:38

    Tom has plenty of contacts, and can get parts that aren't available through the dealer. Then again, it's probably cheaper to have it repaired. That's got to be a pretty big cylinder on a 390.

  7. #7Metalman 552017-02-08 12:20

    CT Farmer, We did a boom repair last fall on the back of our boom where the arch begins on the outside of the boom & it worked out ok. Our machine is small by comparison (Cat 318BL) but I suppose the same principle applies. We removed hyd & electrical lines, gouged out the crack, welded it up, then put a piece of 3/8" plate over the area. I may be able to find some pics if that helps?

  8. #8Metalman 552017-02-08 14:06

    Here are a few before & after pics of our repair carried out a few months ago.