Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ECR 88

Champ1_74 · 2025-02-04 18:07

Looking for a shop/service manual for a 2008 Volvo ECR 88. Trying to troubleshoot the glow plugs and grid heater. Any assistance is appreciated considering the service manual is $1k from the local dealer.

Replies13
  1. #1Simon C2025-02-04 18:48

    Does it have glow plugs as well as a grid heater. Can you trace the heater feed wire back to a relay or timer. If it is a grid heater, you should be able to ohm meter the coil to see what kind of resistance there is. Is that a 12 or 24 volt start system. Can you buy a schematic and post it for us, maybe dealer will supply? Might help to post serial number and type of engine for diagnostics. Simon C

  2. #2Champ1_742025-02-04 20:05

    12 volt system. I get 12 volts at the grid heater. It appears to be working, I just can't tell if it's timing out to quick. I can't get this machine to start without ecessive cranking in temps less than 40F. I don't know if this machine has glow plugs on it, but after speaking with the dealer and running the vin they said it should. I asked if I can get a schematic or trouble shooting guide and they offered the service manual at $612. Il attached a picture of the vin.

  3. #3Simon C2025-02-04 20:23

    I have not seen a grid heater and glow plugs on one yet, not saying there isn't, just have not seen. What kind of oil do you have in the engine. Do you have summer fuel in it by any chance, have you changed your filters lately. Is air filter clean, does priming pump come tight when you use it or is it electric. Do you crank for 10 seconds or less and let heat build in piston for 25 seconds before cranking again. If your cranking speed is too slow, it wil not start without difficulty. Just some things to verfy. Simon C

  4. #4Ben Witter2025-02-04 22:51

    $612 is not a bad price for a factory service manual It is a cheap investment and a lot less than they would charge you for a tech to come out to your machine. Your engine only has a grid heater and if it is getting warm then it is working. The display will indicate when the heater is active. Max time for activation is 23 seconds but that is at and below -23C. Above that you will see a max of maybe 11+ seconds of activation. It should also heat while the engine is running for a short period of time to help warm-up.

  5. #5Champ1_742025-02-05 09:29

    I'm sure $612 isn't a bad price compared to a tech coming out, not sure if that's a realistic comparison but I don't disagree with the cost from that perspective. In comparison I purchased a thumb drive with a service manual for my Takeuchi from the dealer for under 40$ delivered to my home. The grid heater is definitely getting warm and the light times out somewhere between 8-10 seconds. With that info it sounds like it's working properly. The voltage to the heater drops as soon as the light goes out. So it's not staying on while cranking, but should it? Thanks for your input.

  6. #6Simon C2025-02-05 10:59

    It all goes off of a temperature chart that translates into time on for the heater. Some kind of sensor will determine when to send signal to the relay to turn it on and back off. Post number 4 above I asked a few questions that I imagine is all okay. Wondering what kind of oil you have and how low did the battery or batteries drop while cranking at the lowest temperature. If your cables or grounds are defective or corroded you will have slower cranking speed and great difficulty to start. Know how to test the cables under load, the last guy I told how posted back it solved his no start. Can help if you need. Simon C

  7. #7Champ1_742025-02-05 11:59

    Machine filters were changed recently and fuels treated with a winterizer/anti-gel. Engine oil is rosella 15-40. Battery with a load tester rates in the 80% range. I did remove the battery and put it on a 3amp charge to get the voltage back up to see if that would help but no noticeable difference. Airfilter is new, I'm not sure on the primer. I'll have to look when I get home. I only cycle the starter for 10 se ones or so then go back to the warmer position on the key for 20-30 seconds. When cranking I get white smoke right away and times the motor will kick over but just won't start and stay running without excessive cranking and cycling the warmer

  8. #8Simon C2025-02-05 12:35

    You will need to do a battery test on machine to see how far it goes down under engine load. You need to hook up a multimeter to battery with red test lead dead center on Battery Positive, and black test lead on dead center of Battery Negative post while someone else cranks for 5 seconds or more on a fully charged battery. How far down does the battery go at whatever the temperature is outside. Post the answer to that and I will send you to the next repair or test. By the way at any temperature close to 0C or 32F the 15W40 oil you are using starts to become a bit harder to turn translating into more load on the battery. I will not say it is hurting the engine at that tempeerature, but it does add significant load. Question does the machine have 1 or 2 batteries. Have you ever boosted at same time as cranking and what did it do if you tried it.? Simon C

  9. #9HarleyHappy2025-02-05 21:58

    More than likely, with a boost and a good battery or two that thing will spin over, like nobody’s business. Begin in Connecticut, 15/40would be great but this has been a really cold winter. I put 15/40 in my backhoe and added a quart of MMO a couple of months ago to thin it down a little. I think this will end up being a cable or ground issue. Battery at 80 percent may be an issue with this weather we’ve been having. I just put in a remote jump hook up in my backhoe because both my batteries are heading south and it’s easier to hook a jump pack up now.

  10. #10Ben Witter2025-02-08 22:23

    I would be a little suspicious of those. A 1500+ page manual is going to cost you more than $180 to print and ship. And the PDF one, well you never know what you are getting. Plus service manuals are serial number specific. There are several variants of the ECR88.

  11. #11Welder Dave2025-02-09 03:21

    On some diesel engines it's not uncommon to have to cycle the glow plugs or grid heater for longer than the book says or to cycle them 2 or more times. I had a Hino truck and had to cycle the glow plugs 3 or 4 times when it was -20C or colder. Also had to have it at full throttle and leave it there for about 10 seconds after starting for it to keep running. It wasn't revving full throttle though. Once it got to about 1100 RPM it would stay running and I could let it idle. So much white smoke you couldn't see 10 feet! After engine was warm no smoke at all and it was a rebuilt engine.

  12. #12LachyS2025-02-23 00:47

    Hey Champ1, How did you go with finding a manual? I have the same machine and looking for one as well. Also, do you know sequence to release quick hitch? Cheers, Lachy

  13. #13Champ1_742025-03-14 08:21

    Sorry for the late reply. I ordered a manual online on E-manuals. No trouble shooting guide in it. I dont have a Hydraulic quick connect. I have the spring loaded manual quick connect. You just insert a pin and lift to release the bucket