Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ECR58D throttle issue !

MTNXTREME800 · 2023-03-29 22:23

2014 Volvo ECR58D, machine runs beautiful, idles nice, but when you turn the throttle dial, nothing happens, I bought it from a bank, so no one knows much about it, no manual, and machine is new to me, is this something stupid, like I'm not hitting a safety switch, or throttle switch of some sort, armrest is down, seat belt on, all other boom, dipper, track functions works fine ?!?!? Common issue ?

Replies23
  1. #1uffex2023-03-30 07:53

    Good day I believe your machine has a ECU bypass beneath a cover on the right side check that i has not been switched over. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2MTNXTREME8002023-03-30 07:58

    Is that in the cab ? Right side cover outside is engine cover.

  3. #3uffex2023-03-30 11:10

    Good day MTN Let me look deeper into the machine and come back with better information. If you have an Operators manual and post it, this may heklp. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4MTNXTREME8002023-03-30 18:45

    I have a manual, but its paper. I also read about an auto idle on Volvos, there was a way to override that but didn't help, disconnected battery, and also messed around with wires going to ECM, no luck. Weird thing is I also bought a Volvo skid steer, doing the same exact thing, I've never run into this on any other machine before !?

  5. #502SILVER2023-03-30 19:28

    I have a 14' ECR58D, you will need a new throttle pointiometer switch, ( the throttle spinny thing). I think it was about $500 at the dealer. We tried everything we could as well before buying the switch, nothing would make it idle up

  6. #6MTNXTREME8002023-03-30 20:56

    No way ?!? Ugh ! The only other thin g I notice was this on the screen figure a last ditch effort does it mean anything ?

  7. #7uffex2023-03-31 04:23

    Good day I am in the process of assembling troubleshooting info, I suggest starting at one end or the other -potentiometer or activating device, at this moment I have appealed for schematics once I have these I can offer better advice. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #802SILVER2023-03-31 05:37

    Uffex always offers great advise, it would be worth waiting until he gets the correct trouble shooting info before continuing the process. The symbol just means that there is zero hours remaining until service maintenance. It is reset by user so it may be ready for oils changed or somebody forgot to reset it at the last interval

  9. #9uffex2023-03-31 05:53

    Good day Silver Im needing your serial number please. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10MTNXTREME8002023-03-31 08:10

    Wondering what that message is on my screen also !

  11. #11sfrs42023-03-31 08:22

    mtnx your question was answered 02silver above, its just the service message saying no hours left to next service

  12. #12MTNXTREME8002023-03-31 08:50

    Just found out it means 0 hours to service lol well I’m gonna service it anyway !

  13. #13MTNXTREME8002023-03-31 09:25

    S/N: VCE00C58P00210114

  14. #14sfrs42023-03-31 16:18

    Hi mtnx uffex had asked me for a little assistance with some schematics, I didn't see your serial number post until this evening, and I'm not back in the office until Tuesday sorry as soon as I get in I'll pass them onto Uffex to do his thing

  15. #15MTNXTREME8002023-04-02 08:16

    Speaking to a few techs, looks like a common issue of the potentiometer going bad, is there a way to test before spending 500 bucks ?

  16. #16uffex2023-04-02 11:45

    Good day I have been doing some research some information I am still waiting, please see attached, keep me in the loop. Kind regards Uffex

  17. #17uffex2023-04-02 11:58

    Service mode let me know what you find. KR Uffex

  18. #18uffex2023-04-03 10:18

    Good day Volvo Tech just confirmed you will get an error displayed in the event of a potentiometer failure, if it is working good the revolutions should change with the switch position, not like the larger Volvo's actual display of the switch position. Kind regards Uffex

  19. #19MTNXTREME8002023-04-03 14:18

    How do I pull up codes, the obay display I have is the zero hours to maintenance. When you turn the dial there is no change from idle and no code showing on display.

  20. #20uffex2023-04-03 14:56

    Good day The small machine has a different software to that I accustomed, however according to what I can establish it's a question of hitting the select key and scrolling the options as the last illustration I posted. Give it a try you will not damage the device meanwhile I am going to try and make better information. Kind regards Uffex

  21. #21uffex2023-04-04 06:40

    Good day This is third party information so I am not sure if it will work but give it a shot -Servuce Mode> From memory it’s hold select and enter for 5 second or so. You must be on the rev counter or hours screen to do it. I’ll check tomorrow. Kind regards Uffex

  22. #22uffex2023-04-06 10:00

    Good day Second answer to local appeal access to service mode. in rev counter mode press and hold select it will open the menus Kind regards Uffex

  23. #23MTNXTREME8002023-04-30 18:10

    In case this helps anyone, there is no real way to test these switches and techs tell me they go bad all the time, especially if they get wet. 400 bucks later and running good !