Hey guys did you know that all volvo engines on volvo machinery up to 16 litre capacity are deutz engines
Only up to the 9L are Deutz engines, the 12 and 16l are still Volvos own, to the best of my knowledge! I Think Volvo owns a high percentage of Deutz engines too!
Back in the 80's, Deutz had some very efficient fuel-sipping ag tractor engines. I don't recall if they were air cooled or water cooled. Deutz made some of both. For some reason, they just never caught on well in this part of the country. Judging from the below link, Deutz has apparently had a good dog in the fight for a long time. http://www.deutzfahrusa.com/index.html
Back in the late 80's and early 90's there were a lot of dump trucks 'round here that had Duetz air-cooled engines in them. It was the parts and service support that did them in back then I have been told. Also, virtually all of our well point dewatering pumps used the Deutz engine and they were unstoppable. Not wanting to start any arguments here, it is the reason they make chocolate and vanilla but for my money and I am an American born and raised you simply cannot beat European technology and Germans are some of the brightest engineers on earth. I know some of you will be offended by that remark and I apologize if you are but it is a fact, they are that good. Case in point Liebherr equipment and cranes are phenomenal pieces of hardware.
their parts and support SUCK. thats the big downfall. The don't need much attention or parts but when they do its like pulling teeth
And some of the dumbest. The VW air cooled engine use in The Bug and others had big problems where the jug studs screwed into the crankcase. The factory job would eventually work loose and the case had to be helicoiled, and that was a partial fix. The case should have been made thicker and the studs larger. It was a real engineering blooper, one of the biggest in automotive history I know of. Otherwise, the engine was a work of genius. Oh, yea. The dingo did get the baby: http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/court-72160-dingo-australia.html