Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Towed graders .

Super Roel · 2012-06-12 13:35

A few weeks agowe had in The Netherlands a show with hist equipment , and there are a couple of towed graders , a Russian Caterpillar , a French Caterpillar ( Corpet-Louvet ) highway patrol no 4 , and a little C.D.Edwards from the USA . I post some pictures of them .

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies31
  1. #1Super Roel2012-06-12 13:41

    And te other two .

  2. #2770G2012-06-20 22:09

    We have a couple old tow behinds at one of our sheds sitting out on front lawn for the world to see. To be honest I'd love to have one here at home, just get someone to tow me with me tractor

  3. #3Taylortractornu2012-06-20 23:33

    I have run a big Caterpillar towed grader behind a large 4x4 tractor and a D3. I have a friend that has one on s big formed steel wheels. We had about 50 feet of 1 1/4 cable. I would ease off into a ditch and clean them out. It worked great

  4. #4CatGrader2012-06-21 13:40

    See that picture --^-- up there were your grading the sand ? I know it's only for show but if thats the sand im thinking of a normal grader would bog down and make a mess so there you go so get your bolling balls out because that stuff won't support much more.

  5. #5Super Roel2012-06-22 14:17

    Hello CatGrader , In our country it is normal to work in to the sand , but we have bigger wheels and les pressure in it , and we keep it wet and than it wil work .

  6. #6diggerop2012-06-22 18:52

    Just a thought. Does anyone still make towed graders? I know there's three point linkage but they are a bit limited in what they can do. Just thought a small towed grader could be handy bit of equipment on a farm or block of dirt or anywhere. No motor to deteriorate when it's not being used.

  7. #7RocksnRoses2012-06-22 20:17

    These people do. http://www.hoopersengineering.com/catalogue/graders-tractor-drawn RnR.

  8. #8Taylortractornu2012-06-22 23:07

    Heres a company from Argentina that makes a few pull types and a few motor graders. The pull grader is a modern hydraulic type. http://www.grosspal.com/

  9. #9Super Roel2012-06-23 03:07

    Hello Taylortractornu , In the museum The New Land in the Netherlands there is a Caterpillar towed grader that is be using by making new land out of water , with a blade extension .

  10. #10Randy Krieg2012-06-23 12:44

    Who said you can't have fun when You get old? Super Roel Thanks for sharing these great pictures, always enjoy your postings. I’ve always been fascinated by the way our grand parents use to get things done. The second picture looks like a couple of grown kids having a good time in the sandbox! Regards, Randy

  11. #11Queenslander2012-06-24 07:20

    Here's a completely different concept. http://www.savannahequipment.com.au/road_graders/

  12. #12Super Roel2012-06-24 14:17

    Hi Randy , Thanks for your nice words , i post a picture that discribes your words .

  13. #13Graderfan19812015-07-13 16:21

    Here a video from a horse pulled grader, nice to see like in older times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57-rHq3BE0g

  14. #14Graderfan19812015-07-20 11:55

    I have find another video from a horse pulled grader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAMUEmWtwbA

  15. #15DDoug2015-07-21 11:10

    Here is an Adams I own. It has the front wheels as well , removed to tow behind tractor with drawbar.

  16. #16DDoug2015-07-21 11:21

    Oopsie...double post, I can't finger out how to delete.

  17. #17Jumbo2015-07-25 13:36

    In an earlier thread about towed graders, I mentioned that Adams County in WA had some in use about 2002, (when I saw them last.) They were towed behind an F350 with some weight for traction, they were on rubber and moved along right smartly. I asked why the tow behind, and was told they were cheaper and faster than a normal grader when it came to profiling ditches and shoulders. When moving from site to site, they moved about 60 mph. Two people, a truck and tow behind grader could (according them) do about 4 times the work that a normal grader could do.

  18. #18Graderfan19812015-07-25 16:51

    But a towed grader is not good for hard surface, a real motorgrader have more power to put the blade on the ground, because the weight is lots of higher. For grading gravel a towed grader maybe is better because he can do that faster, but only for small roads, because most of them have not so a long blade like a motorgrader....

  19. #19Graderfan19812016-08-07 16:43

    Here a video from a pull grader from Nammco: https://youtu.be/dXw5FbRiOQo

  20. #20B142016-10-06 22:52

    Grader I built my own tow grader for behind my case tractor works extremely well.

  21. #21ovrszd2016-10-07 18:53

    I was too lazy to build one so bought one.

  22. #22Graderfan19812016-10-09 17:26

    Have you photos from your self built?

  23. #23B142016-10-09 17:32

    If I could figure out how to post pictures I would also have a video, honestly thought about going into making them, pulled mine behind my dx45 case tractor and works beautiful,

  24. #24B142016-10-09 17:47

    https://youtu.be/9OPxuPUMk44 There is a video of my unit, yes the tractor is light in the ass end but I do not have any fill in the tires, I am cutting about 3"-4"out in a single pass, as I said I have considered going into building these if anyone is curious.

  25. #25ovrszd2016-10-11 18:57

    Very cool. Rather than reinvent the wheel, you simply expanded a wheel already in use!!!! Nice!!!!

  26. #26B142016-10-11 19:01

    Me?

  27. #27Willie B2016-10-11 19:14

    It's a lifelong dream for me to own a Gallion Road Maintainer. I had my eye on one It had sat for years at the end of Tinmouth Pond. I didn't know who owned it, but had a good notion. The week I went in search, his obituary appeared in the newspaper. Vultures are quick, it was gone. Another appeared along the local highway, a sign said $200.00! I stopped and said I'll take it. The seller looked at the sign, got a shocked look, and said they dropped a zero. His was very tired, I backed away. It needed lots of cast parts. A nice one is the lawn ornament of a retired road builder 100 miles from me. He ain't parting with his. A second choice would be the American Road Machine. These were built from farm tractors. My favorite is built from a Farmall M. The one on display at an annual show organized by a collector has seized a piston, and broken a rod. Someone removed the bottom portion of the rod, and used two hose clamps, and a tin can to block the oil port in the crank journal. It runs on three cylinders. I presume somewhat out of balance. Willie

  28. #28RZucker2016-10-11 20:03

    On the subject of towed graders, a few years back I saw a large pull type in military camouflage with what appeared to be hydraulic controls... Something from the Viet Nam era? If I ever get back to that area I'll try to get a few pics. It was pretty good sized whatever it was, Maybe Cat 12 Size?

  29. #29ovrszd2016-10-12 15:26

    Yeah you. Rather than build a blade assembly you simply designed your framework to accept a 3pt blade.

  30. #30RZucker2016-10-12 18:59

    Pretty ingenious actually.

  31. #31ovrszd2016-10-17 18:27

    Very!!!! Think maybe he thought I was picking on him,,,,,, which I totally was not......