Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EW 210 B

Mother Deuce · 2020-02-18 17:34

I am seeking a little help with the teeth on my machine. A Volvo EW210B. I received some sorely needed GET in the form of dove tail chisels. My book in the machine directs you to just drive the pin through the bottom. I suspect this to be superseded because the pin pictured is not the pin (it does seem to match the ones in the machine) I received. The pin has a head on it that looks vaguely like the head off a pinch bar to keep it from dropping out. It might drive through if you hit it hard enough to break it. The pin has like a little spring leaf on one edge that when the pin seats it opens in the adapter passage and prevents the pin from working out the top. the opposite side has little vertical nylon spacer. I didn't work real hard at this today, however I quickly reached several conclusions. I can't drive it up, the spring leaf prevents that. I can't drive it through seemingly although I didn't put on my Hulk outfit and see if I could break the top flange, it is scored it seems. At this point I am thinking about trotting out the hot wrench and burning the top flange of the tooth and driving it up. That will work however it seems I should be able to pop those pins without going to that extreme. Thanks ~MD~

Replies7
  1. #1Mother Deuce2020-02-19 15:21

    Pics of parts

  2. #2Mother Deuce2020-02-19 15:23

    Old teeth on bucket

  3. #3Ronsii2020-02-19 19:14

    I sorta remember dealing with some pins like that... I think I ended up bending that 'leaf' inwards with a narrow screw driver or something.... I do remember I didn't like them....

  4. #4Mother Deuce2020-02-19 23:35

    At the bottom of the pin there is a little square lug that prevents you from being able to get a screwdriver up far enough to collapse the spring. I appreciate the idea though. I tried through the top and the bottom. I am going to resort to mother’s little helper. Better living through acetylene!

  5. #5Ronsii2020-02-20 00:59

    I can definitely remember bending that leaf/tang... just can't quite remember how??? I also remember we switched to the other style(serrated metal with rubber between) and that took a few tries also as the dealer kept giving us the wrong size for the tooth and adapters About a year or so ago we finally got tired of losing teeth and I just welded them on probably quicker now to change them with the zip disc and welder than screwing around with those retainers... especially when you're given the wrong parts several times So far I am liking the new style case has on our cx60, same as hensley XS system... haven't lost any teeth - they stay on when they should - they come off easy when you want them to - no sledge hammer needed

  6. #6Mother Deuce2020-02-20 01:35

    Hmmmm I will try beating them some more. Perhaps there is so much crud between the shank and tooth I am not getting enough vertical clearance to compress the spring. They after the initial “beating” are loose and wiggle around. I would rather not burn them off if I can help it. I will try a 8 pound sledge and see if that loosens up anymore crud.

  7. #7Ronsii2020-02-20 09:26

    When in doubt get a bigger hammer LOL