Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

VOLVO EW140 year 2000 forward speed – power problem

markokrebl · 2018-11-13 07:55

Hi all i`am new to excavator world. I have bought a used wheeled excavator Volvo EW140 year 2000. the problem is in forward speed, it has no power forward or it goes lean when i push the pedal forward, but the opposite thing is when i push the pedal backward, it reaches max speed and power instantly. I am asuming that the hydraulic pump and the hydraulic motor for the propulsion s ok. What could be the problem, or did anyone had similar problems. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1uffex2018-11-13 08:49

    Good day Marko You issue is not unusual if the machine has a Perkins engine it is easy to recognise more oil outside than in breathing via the sump in preference to the silencer. If it is as I describe really sorry to tell you the engine has a real short life if you have the possibility convert it to Duezt or Cummins. Our experience there is little point in changing the oil since the life is almost as short as the period for oil change. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2markokrebl2018-11-13 08:58

    Hellow uffex, yes it real is not the best motor i have seen that, it has a sound of an old fisshing vesel, but when we tested it, the excavator has very good power when i go backward it goes 30km/h and the engine doesn`t loose power not for a second or anything, but when i go forward it reaches max speed downhill 13,5km/h, on straight road max 10km/h, alsow the engine doesn`t loose power. The only problem is forward. Alsow when digging or rock breaking not a slight problem in engine power. regards Marko

  3. #3uffex2018-11-13 10:00

    Good day Marko You can check the transport motor out along with the Delta pressure but I'm pretty sure it will come down to the motor.When you go forwards its when you demand most power from the motor.( It has the name here "Rolls can hardly" = rolls down hill but hardly can get up them. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4Ben Witter2018-11-15 20:16

    Marko, I would start by checking servo pressure at each end of the travel spool at full application of the travel pedal in each respective direction, I would verify the travel spool is able to move freely and is not centered in the valve body. The bolt that hold the centering spring to the spool could have backed out. If the travel motor were worn it should be weak in both directions. If there are shock valves in the motor you could try swapping them to see if the issue move to the other direction. The swivel seals are probably the most likely cause for the issue.

  5. #5Chris19812022-07-27 03:18

    Any updates? I have the same machine engine and pumps are new ,travel motor is overhauled all pressures are ok but no power on forward or reverse.

  6. #6uffex2022-07-27 03:44

    Good day Chris Regretfully I will inform you that the experience with that engine is not good, brand new machines were unable to negotiate even a shallow slope. It boils down to the actual engine power output being of a low value, I hazard a guess that before the engine overhaul there was more oil on the outside than the inside, crankcase compression. In you shoes you could up-rate the engine to that used on the EW160 (Inter cooled ect) or fire it out and fit Duezt or similar for a long term solution The machine is not bad its only the engine that lets it down. Sorry if this is not what you like to hear but no point trying to hide what is reality. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7uffex2022-07-27 08:13

    Good day I should add EW140 engine power 75Kw 104Hp, if you are lucky EW160 = 88kw 120Hp. EW140B = 92Kw the figures are abundantly clear. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8Chris19812022-07-27 12:29

    Thank you for your feedback. I don’t think is an engine issue. The engine is overhauled and I have a new engine from a ew160 planning to swap it in the future. The issue is that the main hydraulic pump pressure is up to the limit but the transmission pressure will not go to more that 15bar. I was thinking that I need to change the clutch as there is no resistance coming from the transmission to the drive motor to increase the pressure. Also any idea where I can find a specialist on excavator ECU programming and checking.

  9. #9uffex2022-07-27 13:49

    Good day Programming ECU on that machine originates from Konz in Germany, most find the only solution is buy new. Kind regards Uffex