Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Master pin install, washers?

daveyclimber ยท 2018-11-13 19:42

Can anyone tell me the order on install? I have 1 master pin, 2 thick spacers with beveled edge and 4 thin washers. Never done this before and I'm not to keen on paying $500 for 2hrs service tech. Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1John C.2018-11-13 20:57

    The two beveled washers go into the recess in the outside links with the insides touching the outsides away from each other. The think washer goes on top of the thin ones with the bevel facing the small end of the track link. The links are supposed to be hard to get together.

  2. #2daveyclimber2018-11-13 21:38

    So, 2 thin washers will be placed inside the link recesses followed by the thicker spacer with the bevel facing the bushing on the inside link?

  3. #3John C.2018-11-14 10:31

    That is correct.

  4. #4daveyclimber2018-11-14 10:35

    Thank you very much.

  5. #5Bluox2018-11-14 12:11

    The thin washers should be cone shaped and the inside hole of the cone will be placed against each other to make a spring . This pushes on the thick washer helping to seal the bushing and making it a pain to get the track links together. Good luck Bob

  6. #6daveyclimber2018-11-14 13:00

    Thanks guys. I got the links together correctly this morning. I am using undersized pins temporarily until I get the pads on and the machine off the stands and back onto the ground. Then I will figure out a jig to hold the pins in place as we drive them in.

  7. #7John C.2018-11-14 23:04

    I used to put the master link under the flanges of the first bottom roller to hold the links in place while I drove the master pin in. I would get it just partially under the flanges so that the weight of the machine wasn't pushing too much on the joint. I also had a drift pin that was an old bucket pin that I used to drive on instead of hitting the master pin directly. Made it an easier target when swinging a big hammer and it wasn't prone to chipping off if you just barely missed the center of the drift.