Hi all, Bit of a puzzle with this one. First it showed up with error 128 SID 231 FMI 9. According to manual, this is E-ECU not communicating over control bus. How ever, for some reason, in description of the causes of the problem it states that it may be supply issue with T-ECU. Is this a typo in the manual or am I interpreting fault code wrong? According to the owner, machine worked like this for about 4 hours. But then it went apeshit crazy. he doesn't know exactly what went wrong because he panicked. He knows that he wasn't able to shut it down with a key, but instead had to use the switch next to auto / manual switch. After that he disconnected the batteries, reconnected them, and machine starterd up and worked fine. Above mentioned fault code is active all this time. About and hour into working again, the suspension locked up and he wasn't able to unlock it. so he did the same thing. Shut it of, with a key this time. Disconnect then reconnect the batteries and start up. But now machine doesn't want to move. It works with boom, arm, bucket, swing, blade, stabilisers. But no movement on the wheels. I checked and T-ECU doesn't activate the travel valve. To make matters even more complicated, when diagnostic computer is connected to the machine, it doesn't show the V-ECU, like it doesn't exist. So we have error that indicates faulty comms on E-ECU, but engine is working fine. T-ECU doesn't activate travel. But no errors are shown for it. And we have V-ECU which (I think) has nothing to do with travel problem, but diagnostics can not see it. Can anyone make any sense out of this?
Good day Attached may help follow the system. To read the engine ECU from my memory you will need Serdia system.The symptoms are strange requiring a closer investigation along with basic checks. kind regards Uffex
Thanx Uffex!! Do you know if V-ECU problem can cause no travel?
Good day If the VECU is down I cannot be sure if this will affect the transmission, from your post it may be that you have a break-down in the cable bus (Twisted pair). My suggestion would be to check out the continuity. Kind regards Uffex
Thanks Uffex!!! Do you maybe have above diagram in higher resolution? I have access to Prosis but no diagram like that there. That's a handy thing to have!!! I checked all the bus wiring and 60 ohms resistance. All good!!
Attached is PDF best I have
Oh that is great!!! Thanx!!!
Maybe check this. It's a quick, down and dirty test. Obviously you want to check power, ground and ign power to the VECU.
Then follow up with this.
One other thing I've come across in the past. If you look at the image showing the location of the VECU. In that back corner, the harness is improperly secured. It can become pinched under the cab platform retainer. When you look, you'll see. It's a possibility worth peeking at.
Thanks I'll have a look. I actually don't know which one of the ECUs is the master sort of speak. Which ECU activates alarms if comms are not OK? I taught about what you wrote up there. But I didn't know if mt results will be conclusive if I don't know which ECU is initiating communication. In my case it is like this: All connected - E-ECU comms fault only E-ECU disconnected - no comms faults only V - ECU disconnected - only E-ECU comm fault only T - ECU disconnected - E-ECU and T-ECU comm faults A far as checks GO I can check with oscilloscope no problem. So I'll leaver only I-ECU and V-ECU connected and see what happens. Do you know if V-ECU should emmit comms signals on both busses if busses are disconnected from rest of the machine? That is the part I don't know, and didn't check yet.
The VECU hardware is the same basic chassis from excavators to wheeled excavators. I should have clarified. With a wheeled unit, disconnect E-ECU, T-ECU and I-ECU. With only the VECU plugged in to chassis harness and key on, there should be comms voltage. It should be reaching out to other computers to establish communication. That's what you're looking for, CAN hi and CAN lo. Hope this helps
Good stuff, I will check on that. There must be something with V-ECU if VCADS can not register it when connected. But stangely, all connections to service socket are to VECU. Unless it is only passthru.
Oh, you hooked up VCADS and the VECU is not showing up on a vehicle identification test? Odds are the VECU has failed. Any recent welding or jump-starting? Which instrument panel do you have? Please attach a picture
Here is the display No welding jump starting or anything similar. I asked the same question and that is the answer I got.
On the note of VCADS. I don't have one yet, but looking at buying. I will paste 2 links, can someone clarify what can one do that other one can not as far as excavators go? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...0!sea!HR!195565250&curPageLogUid=pCAKhu0XpiTD https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...7!sea!HR!195565250&curPageLogUid=RsFAmxdgMzWS
The links show interface cabling. The first one is the original VCADs equipment. The second is current Techtool II Looks like Vocom interface. That should do everything you need plus it's upgradeable for current production.
Having computer issues, have to follow up tomorrow. Basic excavator needs I-ECU to power EMS & DATA relay to wake up the VECU all the way. Not sure on wheeled excavators
OK, thanks, please let me know. These EMS and data relays, could you explain what are they? What do they do, and their location? I've read somewhere about relays 3 and 4 powering up, is this the same thing?
On a tracked exc, yes. I would know right where it is too. My wheeled excavator experience is rather limited. Not a whole lot of them out here in comparison. I'll see what I can do when I get my computer working. See if we can't trace the path of power.
So, I'm looking at the schematics. The wheeled models are completely different. They have key dependent voltage (15) all running off RE3101. I've attached the first 4 schematics. Unfortunately, it shows continuity between control units but doesn't identify connector and cavity pinouts. I wish I could be more help.
Well, first signs of improvement. One broken wire found in E-ECU harnes. that was repaired. And V-ECU was repaired. Oscillator for main computer chip was not working, so chip didn't have any hartbeat. Now it seems to be working. Need to put it back on the machine and post the results!!!
Thank you all very much for your help! V-ECU was repaired and everything is working OK now. So note to everyone, if error 128 SID 231 FMI 9 comes up, it may not be the E-ECU. In this case, E-ECU was working fine the whole time.