Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EW140B electronic problem. Looking for someone with intimate understanding of this machine computers!!!!

ROAMER_AUS · 2023-11-06 18:03

Hi All!!! I have a EW140B which is making me crazy!!!! Customer reported first that he had alarm 128 SID 231 9 coming on sporadically for few days. Then fault 187 SID 253 2 came on and stayed permanent. So only this alarm is present. Machine doesn't have hammer function, oscillation lock and few other things. I taught I'd give it a shot at repairing VECU, but gave up after I wasn't able to find suitable service to reprogram it for me in normal timeframe, plus somebody butchered some chips in it beyond repair. So I ordered new VECU, asking specifically for it to be programmed. Just plug in and off you go! Which I was assured it was. So the new VECU arrived, I install it. Fault 128 SID 231 9 come up instantly, and shortly after 187 SID 250 9 come up as well. Supplier stated that 128 SID 231 9 is engine ECU fault and that VECU that they supplied is OK. I test new VECU in the EW180B that I have at my disposal, and no faults come up, so new VECU must be good. So I borrow VECU and TECU from EW180B and run some tests. I plug in 180 VECU, faults come up: 128 SID 231 9 187 SID 250 9 I plug in original VECU and 180 TECU, faults come up: 128 SID 231 9 187 SID 253 9 I plug in 180 VECU and 180 TECU, faults come up: 128 SID 231 9 187 SID 250 9 It seems what ever combination I try, except original, I come up with 128 SID 231 9 And if VECU is not original I get 187 SID 250 9 as well. Does anybody make any sense out of all this?

Replies16
  1. #1funwithfuel2023-11-06 19:56

    Your having comms errors as you know. Have you ohmed out the data links? Have you checked the terminating resistor? Which IECU do you have? The analog with idiot lights or the newer LCD display? Post up your serial and I'll try to find the correct active and passive measuring to help you narrow down your search. One thing does come to mind, had similar issues in the past but with EW180s. In the right rear corner of the cab, below the AC ducts and VECU. There's a small bundle of wires that pass very close to the cab floor tethering bolts. I have seen those wires become damaged back there.

  2. #2ROAMER_AUS2023-11-07 07:00

    Yes , comms issues. But I can not figure out why!!! How come 2 other VECUs give me comms erros but one that was originaly in the machine doesn't? I did check ohm and it is correct. I have newer with LCD IECU. I'm thinking if wiring is damaget, it would occur with any VECU.

  3. #3funwithfuel2023-11-07 07:03

    There could be a dataset mismatch. I will see what I can dig up when I get in front of my computer. Serial number?

  4. #4ROAMER_AUS2023-11-07 12:45

    EW140BV8711655

  5. #5funwithfuel2023-11-07 13:02

    Start

  6. #6funwithfuel2023-11-07 13:02

    Continue

  7. #7funwithfuel2023-11-07 13:10

    Last bits. Do you have access to VCADS, or are you troubleshooting off error codes? I'm wondering if we are missing a power feed from relay to wake up or turn on other ECUs. This was a common issue with tracked excavators where the IECU wouldn't turn on the load side of the VECU. Just thinking out loud. I too wish someone who's more experienced with a wheeled exc would contribute. They're just not as common as you would expect here in the states.

  8. #8ROAMER_AUS2023-11-07 14:09

    I am sorry, I forgot to mention, I have access to Prosis, and I did checks listed. But this is a bit more than voltage measurement on comms lines. I even checked comms with oscilloscope and can bus sniffer and I am trying to compare packages. But I can not get information detailed enough to proceed. For example, I can see that EECU gives out 128 SID 231 9 but I don't know why. I know it is comms with TECU (at least that is what Prosis states) but why different VECUs cause this is beyond me, for now at least. Wheeled excavators don't have those relays that you mentioned. I am in process of getting my VCADS back on track because I managed to brak down my VCADS laptop with some other experiments, so need to get that up and running. What additional information do you think VCADS will give me that IECU fault codes already don't? Also, you mention dataset mismatch, what do you mean by that? Do you have more details? I appologize once more for neglecting to mention that I already have information that you provided me.

  9. #9funwithfuel2023-11-07 15:22

    It's all good, it may benefit someone else in the future. In VCADS , under vehicle identification, the very first operation, you have for each ECU, the hardware, software then dataset 1 and dataset 2. If there's a mismatch, for example if a dataset is incorrect for application or for a different machine serial number, they will conflict. Since they can't reconcile on their own, they throw out errors. This is just speculation. Since you have prosis, I might suggest making your own stand alone CAN harness. With more and more data, you get RFI from power to CAN in older machines. The shielding ground somehow looses its ability to shield

  10. #10ROAMER_AUS2023-11-07 19:44

    I was actually having a look at buying VOCOM2 as well. But I can not find any info if there is a possibility to program these ECUs offline. That there is a databsse of standard files in the program already, so you don't have to dowload buy order etc. programming files. Do you know much about these options?

  11. #11funwithfuel2023-11-07 20:00

    Unless you're a dealer, you don't get software. Everything is serial specific. Thats been my experience. The Vocom II is needed for newer machines with ridiculous fast data baud rates.

  12. #12ROAMER_AUS2023-11-07 20:06

    Do you know what would that dealer software be called? Or are you reffering to programming files?

  13. #13funwithfuel2023-11-07 20:16

    Program files are software and datasets. All proprietary information and closely controlled through dealers. Only one software package per ECU per serial number can be downloaded from central systems at a time. I don't know how people get programmed aftermarket ECUs

  14. #14ROAMER_AUS2023-11-08 10:54

    OK Thanks for the info. I got my VCDS up and running, tested today on a different machine. Looks like I have cursed VOLVOs month. Check my new post! I will take couple more spare VECU and TECU and check those datasets that you mentioned now that I have VCDS running again and we will see what comes of it.

  15. #15ROAMER_AUS2023-11-30 16:50

    Still no luck with this machine. No matter what combination I try, except original VECU I get fault 128SID 231 9, EECU communication on CANBUS. And orignal VECU has a fault of corrupted memory. I have 2 spare VECUs to try and one TECU. All in working order, but no luck. Don't know how to move forward on this.

  16. #16funwithfuel2023-11-30 17:26

    Using Techtool or VCADS, whichever, perform vehicle identification test. Verify that all components show same model and serial. If memory serves, you can only get away with one mismatch. Anymore than that, it gets confused and doesn't know how it should identify. Particularly between models. This wasn't so bad in loaders but was really problematic in haulers. Hope this helps. Good luck