Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

VOLVO EW160C commonrail pressure problem

ROAMER_AUS ยท 2023-11-30 16:43

Hi All!!! I have a EW160C with D6E EDE3 engine. After few minutes of work it comes up with fault MID128 PSID96 FMI1 - Rail pressure system. I know problem may be either: - Pressure sensor - Control valve - One of two high pressure pumps - Mechanical protection valve - Any of the 6 injectors On diagnostic VCADS I can not see any big pressure loss or something like that, but then, diagnostic information is much slower than control. So, anything is possible. Did anyone have a proble like this and how did thez go about it? Thanks!!!

Replies8
  1. #1uffex2023-12-01 05:01

    Good day I suggest check the fuel feed pressure. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2ROAMER_AUS2023-12-01 13:42

    Fuel feed pressure according to VCADS is pretty much 600kPa constant. No oscilations. I had a kobelco once with same problem, turned out to be cracked thread commonrail pipe at the mechanical overpressure protection valve (PRV on your document). So I get nightmare flashes from that problem and I can't think straight

  3. #3ROAMER_AUS2023-12-01 13:45

    Here is the pressure diagram

  4. #4uffex2023-12-02 05:20

    Good day Does the fuel feed pressure remain constant at low revolutions? Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5ROAMER_AUS2023-12-02 06:13

    Hi uffex, yes pretty much constant. About 5 kpi variation.

  6. #6funwithfuel2023-12-02 07:14

    Have you removed and inspected the FCVs PWM valve? If she's ingested any moisture, you'll see it there. The tip will be rusty. You wouldn't think you could rust, bathed in fuel, but it happens. Another thing to look at, what does your fuel look like? Is it really dark? On early rail engines, the injector hold down torque was inadequate. The injector would lift allowing combustion gasses into the return which would back feed through injectors and aerate the fuel supply. Never understood how, but it did. 9 times outta 10, you'll be replacing injectors. Have you seen this attached map for fuel pressure? Hope it helps.

  7. #7ROAMER_AUS2023-12-02 17:14

    Hi, I have that document, but thanks for providing!!! I have to go back to the machine and do more investigation next couple of days. I have to solve computer issues with that B series first

  8. #8ROAMER_AUS2023-12-17 12:36

    Did bit more testing on this machine. I found that when I unpug fuel regulating valve. Mechanical overpressure valve is supposed to keep the pressure around 720 bar. As you can see it happens sometimes, but not always. One photo is when it happens, clearly you can see that rail pressure is aroud 720. Next picture shows when it doesn't happen. Pressure goes over 1000 bar, engine sounds really rough. And readings are all over the place. So I think that mechanical overpressure valve is a good candidate for replacement. Taughts?