I have an EC250Dl that swings like a cable machine, meaning it doesn't stop when I stop the joystick, it'll keep swinging a little before it stops. I've adapted and am stopping ahead of the machine now but, my mini-ex doesn't have this issue at all so when I go from one machine to the other, it takes me a few minutes to get the touch back again. Is this something that can be adjusted or is it just the momentum of a 50,000 pound machine?
You should have about 15-18* of additional slew from joystick release, IF you're swinging more than half a circle and doing this at full throttle, full stroke. The swing uses hydrodynamic braking, meaning the oils reluctance to move through blocked passages stops the machine. The brake, is delay applied. It never functions while working. The other variable you have to consider is whether or not you're swinging a short stick or long, is it a demolition arm and just how big a bucket you got on there and is it on a quick coupler. Weight adds up.
I'm probably swinging about 1/8 circle past where I stop the joystick. It's not a long stick, I've got a 48" bucket and a thumb with a quick attach.
Id say you're right on . The thumb and coupler add considerable weight. A mini-ex has it's place. You just can't compare the two. I personally would hate to spend the day in a mini. The jerking and suddenness of all functions. I spent 2 hours in one recently for troubleshooting, someone else can do it. Gimme a big hoe. Everything is smooth and graceful. Like it should be.
Thanks for the input. I like both for their intended uses, I can't do with the big hoe what I do with the mini and vice versa. No way I'm going to finish off a small trench for an electrical or water line right next to a building in a bunch of trees with a 50,000 pound machine and a 48" bucket. By the same token, I'm not going to clear trees off several acres or remove sediment from a pond and reinforce a dam with a mini and an 18" bucket. It would be hard for me to give up either one of them.
Seems like their should be some adjustabilty for the swing. I think the better mini ex's have similar control to a full size machine. Back in the day P&H touted their excavators had Dial a Swing. It was a small valve that limited flow I believe. Can't recall if the guy I knew that owned 6 of them thought it was a gimmick or not.
Good day Attached may be of help. Kind regards Uffex