Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo FC2924C showing “Warning: Turn off engine. Engine error.”

Jinajon · 2023-05-24 06:56

The machine is a Volvo FC2924C, which I believe is just an EC240 plonked onto an EC290 undercarriage in the factory for forestry work. Maybe a bit hard to start, but seems to operate normally. Shortly after startup the main caution lights up and the whole screen is taken up by a message saying "Warning: Turn off engine. Engine error." I can't dismiss the message. I can't find a fault code, and after a bit of trawling around the internets I couldn't find a service manual, fault-finding guide, or anything else. Any tips on this one?

Replies28
  1. #1Jinajon2023-05-25 03:44

    Any idea where the diagnostic port is hiding? Thinking of dumping a couple of grand on a scan tool...

  2. #2sfrs42023-05-25 04:23

    the diagnostic port should be under the radio, as for the error message, unless you can get to the original fault code ( have you tried to look before switching the engine on? ) then that is just a generic shut down message to prevent any further damage

  3. #3Jinajon2023-05-25 04:28

    The only error code that shows up in the menu is a cooling fan failure which has apparently been there for years. The extra hydraulic cooling fan **** itself years ago, so 99% sure its that. The main hydraulically run cooling fan runs fine. That location under the radio is empty, but it may have fallen down behind. I'll check next time I'm out there.

  4. #4sfrs42023-05-25 04:29

    these may help a little

  5. #5Jinajon2023-05-25 04:34

    Good info thanks mate. I'll have a crack at service mode and see if I can get any further information from there.

  6. #6funwithfuel2023-05-25 06:48

    I would suggest entering service mode. Pull up the engine values. Monitor rail pressure. Start engine. Please report or record the rail pressure and RPM . I'm guessing you're having an issue with fuel. It doesn't log an error but does shut the machine down. Volvos tech tool won't pick it up either since no error is generated. The most common failure is one or more injectors has excessive drain to tank which drops your rail pressure. The machine doesn't know how to deal , it assumes a fuel leak, so it shuts down

  7. #7Jinajon2023-05-26 01:47

    There's a bunch of faults, but the only ones which are active are the cooling fan which I can ignore, and PSID96-01. Rail pressure and engine rpm are fluctuating a lot. Rail pressure varied wildly from 300 to 950 bar. Incidentally I can't dismiss the warning message no matter what I do. I have to restart and hope that it takes a while to reoccur so I can fault find.

  8. #8sfrs42023-05-26 03:39

    Fault mode PSID96 FMI 1 Detection conditions:The engine control unit (E-ECU) registers: that the rail pressure control is not working correctly Rail pressure sensor negative deviation The FCV tries to increase the fuel rail pressure by positive compensation of the fuel supply to the pumps, and exceeds the higher limit for allowed compensation. Symptom: ○ Red central warning ○ Alarm sounds continuously ○ "Warning" screen ○ Max. speed is limited to 1100 rpm by the engine protection function ○ Low power because of engine protection Possible causes: ○ Rail pressure limiter stuck open ○ Defective fuel control valve. ○ Defective rail pressure sensor ○ Defective injectors ○ Pressure relief valve locked in open position ○ High pressure leakage ○ Low pressure circuit I would lean towards the PRV and or the sensor, these now come as kit from Volvo your part number 20973777 , but i'm sure FWF will be along shortly with a more thorough explanation.

  9. #9funwithfuel2023-05-26 06:33

    In my experience, I've had one PRV fail. That was in a machine that had DEF cross contamination. As I mentioned before, if one or more injectors are bleeding fuel back to tank, the PRV can't compensate, it assumes fuel leak and shuts down for safety. How many hours on your machine, and honestly, has there been water contamination? These little injectors have zero tolerance for moisture. Let's go back a step further. When were your fuel filters last serviced? Are they factory filters? I have had more problems with "will fit" and "meets OEM" filters than i care to mention. Cheap starting point. If you have already spun a set on, we can move forward. Depending on your experience, you could go one of 2 ways. You could try to isolate the leaking injector, or you could replace the whole 6 pack. I will say, I have never gotten a satisfactory result from replacing one or two. You always wind up chasing down a companion within a week or two. Just my experience but your results might be different. I will look for the proper and safe method to isolate drain back and post it up. That is If SFRS4 don't beat me to it. That dudes quick on prosis. Good luck

  10. #10sfrs42023-05-26 07:01

    Amen to that, couldn't agree more, we now only sell genuine filters. especially for the newer less tolerant machines. As for the drain back isolation, that I can't seem to find?

  11. #11funwithfuel2023-05-26 07:05

    Same fuel system, look in G series 60, 70 90 loaders or D series exc. The C series was a learning experience, no real supporting information

  12. #12funwithfuel2023-05-26 09:11

    Please see attached, I will find specs later. BTW, if you have a partner unplug the FCV while engine is running, it will go full rail pressure for 30 seconds before shutting down. This is good to test safety valve on end of rail. Note, this valve has a life expectancy of 200 seconds. So don't abuse it.

  13. #13funwithfuel2023-05-26 09:14

    here, volume specs

  14. #14Jinajon2023-05-26 18:51

    Bloody hell, you guys are awesome. Last night, after we found the PSID96-01 code, we did a bit of fault finding. The engine wiring loom looks very tired. Broken backshells all over the place, melted spi-wrap, etc. The fuel rail pressure sensor loom has been previously modified (obviously a broken wire somewhere), so they've bypassed it very nicely with a Deutsch connector and new wire run directly back to the E-ECU. I checked the signals in line and I have a very nice 0.3 ohm Gnd, 5.00VCC, and a return signal voltage that deviates exactly proportionally to the fuel rail pressure fluctuations. So I'm fairly certain that the pressure sensor is good and E-ECU readings are accurate. At 17,000hrs, she's getting toward EOL. I'm unsure about water contamination in its previous life, but I know it has been fully serviced by a professional crowd for its whole life. I doubt they would ever have fitted non-genuine parts. I'm sure they know how much common rail loves water ... Same logic as ignition modules on petrol; if one goes, just replace the whole lot. We were going to try this, but I wasn't game! Good info. We were on the money last night, and figured out/guessed the fuel system pretty accurately. The HP Pumps look newer than the surrounding engine, and I was told that the FCU solenoid and rail pressure sensor have been replaced in the last year. So we figured that the most likely/logical failures were what we guessed was a pressure relief valve in the end of the rail, or the injectors as suggested initially by FWF. I'll find out when the filters were done last, and do some more fault-finding. See if I can isolate either the injectors or the PRV as the fault.

  15. #15funwithfuel2023-05-26 19:14

    If the safety valve were defective, you'd probably never exceed 8k psi. Disconnect the drain at the rail end where the safety dumps to, shouldn't leak a drop. Be careful, injection hazard is real, you can't get treated quick enough. Good luck and be safe

  16. #16funwithfuel2023-05-26 19:17

    If the machine is tight and she's not cracking apart, I'd be reluctant to let her go. All the benefits of common rail with no hassle from emissions short of the EGR. I'd keep her going as long as possible.

  17. #17Jinajon2023-05-28 00:30

    PRV is fine; not a drip came out. Injector return is about 150-200ml/min. Looks like now might be a good time to go buy a new set of injectors...

  18. #18Gary Layton2023-05-28 12:37

    Great input by the gurus! Thanks, Jinajon, for posting how it was testing and how it worked out. That helps us bystanders understand better.

  19. #19Jinajon2023-06-08 02:01

    Six new genuine Bosch injectors later and the first test run was smooth as a baby's bum. Rail pressure does still vary, but less wildly, and not as extreme. Variation was between 350-600 bar at idle, which is above minimum spec of 300 bar. Incidentally, for future searchers: the rail pressure did occasionally drop below 200 bar. When this occured, the fault code would pop and warning would appear. I've got a couple of thousand cubic meters of gravel to shift, so it'll get a proper test shortly anyway. Many thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated!!

  20. #20Jinajon2023-10-23 05:29

    Thought I'd post a final follow-up: After replacing the injectors, the rail pressure stopped fluctuating wildly, but it still varied more than I expected. However, the fault did not reoccur, and the machine operated flawlessly, so I declared the problem solved and moved on. After about a hundred hours, the fault reoccured. Armed with the info from the gurus here, I replaced the next most likely item: the fuel pressure control valve/solenoid. (We had previously tested this component and it appeared to operate fine.) Once the brand new Bosch 0928400670 FCV was fitted, the problem resolved immediately, and notably; the fuel rail fluctuations ceased. (Obviously the rail pressure did alter, but exactly as expected for a PID control system.) I believe that the FCV was the root issue, and the worn injectors exacerbated the fault.

  21. #21The Peej2023-10-23 09:43

    Awesome its great when the original poster post a follow up to complete the story.

  22. #22sfrs42023-10-24 03:38

    @Jinajon thanks for coming back to everyone with the "solution" as much as we can provide help the final solution is always the best thing to see on here, so when later people search the same problem they will find a hopeful solution to the problem as well.

  23. #23Jinajon2023-10-24 03:44

    100%. I've spent my fair share of time trawling forums for info on a specific problem, and so often just when it gets interesting, the thread goes dead.

  24. #24ahmadammoune2024-11-15 06:48

    Hi mate how you fix this problem ? , i have the same issue on my excavator

  25. #25sfrs42024-11-15 06:58

    4 posts above is the OP's solution, not always going to be the same answer though

  26. #26ahmadammoune2024-11-15 08:47

    If I change the fcv will the problem be solved?

  27. #27funwithfuel2024-11-15 08:50

    Please start at the beginning of the thread. Both SFRS4 and I have posted all the troubleshooting steps needed. If you have questions or concerns about a specific test, we will be happy to guide you or explain it more clearly. We are not there. We cannot see or hear how your machine is behaving. We only have you saying," mines doing the same thing" Rarely is it the same outcome.

  28. #28ahmadammoune2024-11-15 09:00

    Okay bro, thank you