Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo G940 – electrical problem

hugh fisher · 2022-12-12 19:51

Keeps blowing the 7.5 amp igntion fuse , all power drops out . can put new fuse in ,runs for 5-10 secs then blows again , must obviously be a huge short some where ?! got elec schmatics , gone visually over wirring , spoken to volvo , no damage any where , no codes , no warning either when it first happened , fuse blows also with ign on ( not started !! ) machine & i are out in the bush ,long way from any service agents , any auto electricans ( good ones ) long way from too , work shop manuals etc non exsistant from volvo , love to be able to plug in for diagonstics !! technology's great when it working , but its a F@#$%^ pain when its not.

Replies4
  1. #18V712022-12-16 19:45

    I use a resettable circuit breaker to plug into the fuse panel.They can be reset over and over to find my shorts that way you’re not going through a bunch of fuses. Usually find a lot of electrical issues in the articulation area in the harnesses on the motor grader‘s. Hopefully one of these Volvo guys can get you a good schematic. Any body out there have access to Prosis?

  2. #2hugh fisher2022-12-17 04:03

    Thanks M8 , yeah i've given up on the bloody thing , electronics & me don't mix , but i hear you , got a bloke coming out supposedly preety good sparky .

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-12-18 19:10

    I had a Hino truck that had a fuse on the starter circuit I initially didn't know about. Was at a job and it wouldn't turn over. Thankfully there was a loader there that pull started it. I talked to the place I bought it that specialized in Hino's. Apparently it was a fairly common problem. The mechanic said to put the next size fuse in it. I think it had a 40 amp and he said a 50 amp usually cures the problem. Did that and never had a problem again. Sure frustrating when out of the blue it won't turn over and you don't know there's fuse.

  4. #4sfrs42022-12-19 03:03

    As daft as it sounds, have you checked the ignition switch itself? normal first question when it comes to machines....Serial number?