Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L90 LED lights failing

zinko ยท 2026-01-08 13:20

Hello everyone, I am working on VOLVO L90 loader and I recently replaced the work lights. I made a new wiring for new led reflectors of power 72w and power supply voltage from 12-24vdc. The problem is that they only work for about 8 days, and two of them already failed. Could the issue be sensitivity to voltage spikes for example voltage increases during charging (alternator) Has anyone had a similar problem or knows what could be causing this? Thank you for your answers.

Replies8
  1. #1Simon C2026-01-08 14:52

    Alternators are charging all the time. Machines do not run on batteries as they are only a voltage bank needed for start up until the alternator cuts in. All machines with lights on will die in less than an hour if alternator stops charging. If you alternator is charging more than 28.8 volts to 29.2 volts the lights will not last long. Some LED's are made cheap and or faulty and die way before they are suppose to. I changed over my whole house with LED'S that were suppose to last 10 years and half have been changed in less than 5 years. Kept my receipt and got new ones exchanged at no cost. Depends on the brand you bought and what kind of warranty they have. Simon C

  2. #2zinko2026-01-08 14:57

    does it make sense to put a 24 to 12 converter to power the lights or is this a very stupid idea in terms of safety and efficiency?

  3. #3Simon C2026-01-08 15:20

    I just recently installed 6 LED'S on an excavator for a client and they were rated at 12 - 30 volts . His machine runs 28.4 volts and the lights have been great so far. How long will they last. Who Knows? Check your machine voltage at alternator with machine hot and engine revved up with a quality meter and better to make a decision after that. If your batteries are poor your alternator could produce over 30 volts after start up to replenish the battery and that could quickly shorten life span of the lights. Put your meter red test lead on the 24 volt positive post of battery and the black lead on the ground post of the 2 batteries, while someone else starts it up and gets it revved a bit to see how high it is in fact charging. After start up is normally the highest rate of charge especially if lights and heater fan are on at same time. Do that test to rule out overcharging alternator or failed batteries. If the batteries drop to below 19.2 volts while the cranking is happening, batteries are not great. Simon C

  4. #4zinko2026-01-08 23:47

    Ok, I will try and post feedback

  5. #5Coaldust2026-01-09 00:46

    Zinko, Welcome to the HEF. Get some Rigid D2 new led reflectors of power and they will light up your world. The space station will be able to see your Volvo in Slovenia. They have no problem with 24 volts. Flood or spot.

  6. #6zinko2026-01-10 07:15

    Hello, its charging 28.9v

  7. #7Simon C2026-01-10 14:29

    There is 3 things that kill bulbs,: vibration, heat from high volts and breaking the seal of vacuum in a bulb. Now we are talking about LED'S , but vibration and voltage would definitely be factors. I recently bought 6 very bright LED's from Norhern Lights is I believe what they are called and paid less than $500 for them all and delivered quickly. The owner of machine was getting prices of $2-3000 from the dealership just for the bulbs and he says they are brighter than the originals. They are out of Terrace B.C and have a warehouse in Edmonton Alberta. Owner was happy. I installed them all and they looked good to me. Come with female Deutz plug on them. Simon C

  8. #8smifwal2026-01-10 18:14

    I have a bunch of these, by different manufacturers but all purchased on Amazon, whichever was the cheapest. I have them on trucks,salt spreaders, trailers on one of my skids and my mini https://a.co/d/ivlAGml