Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L90E leak

DD Cincy ยท 2019-12-23 11:23

Ive got an 04 L90E that just came in from auction. There is a leak from where the drive shaft and tranny come together. Have yet to dig into it but Im hoping it is a seal. Anybody care to chime in on it?

Replies8
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-12-23 11:48

    After you swing by member welcome thread, maybe post up some pics. We'll try an help you.

  2. #2DD Cincy2019-12-26 09:55

    Stopped by the welcome thread. Thank you. I have attached some pictures I took real quick to show the leak.

  3. #3Ben Witter2019-12-26 11:27

    There should just be a seal in the bore riding against the drive flange. As long as the bearings are tight and the drive flange is OK it should just require the seal. Torque on the drive flange nut is 442 lb. ft and the driveshaft bolts are 89 lb ft

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-12-26 15:23

    You're going to need the seal, and O-ring in second pic #20. Part no 21 has 2 different parts, get both. That's for locking the flange nut. If you're careful, you can reuse snap ring 23. Drain the oil before performing the job. I always recommend replacing the bolts and nuts at the flanges. They never tighten properly. Use care when separating the flanges, if you damage the slots, it will be very challenging to reassemble.

  5. #5DD Cincy2019-12-26 15:48

    Do you have the complete parts list for both photos by chance? That will help when ordering the parts.

  6. #6funwithfuel2019-12-26 16:22

    I could provide that later this evening

  7. #7DD Cincy2019-12-26 17:11

    Thank you sir! I appreciate your help.

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-12-26 17:29

    Parts illustration with parts list below I incorrectly highlighted the wrong screw in propshaft . It should be the one facing right into the flange with no nut. #5