Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough H90C

Kobe130 ยท 2019-12-19 12:45

I have a Hough H90C. It looks like the DVT573 International in it is tired and parts non existent for it. I'm thinking of swapping in a Detroit 8v71 for which rebuild parts are readily available plus I just happen to have one sitting outside my shop. Anybody here have any experience with this? Thx in advance.

Replies9
  1. #1kshansen2019-12-19 19:38

    No experience doing that swap but have to wonder if a 8V-71 is a bit big for that machine. Maybe some one has an idea of the horse power of the DVT573? Ok Answering my own questions: H-90C and early E DVT-573 A 225 HP @ 2300 According to my Detroit book from 1976 a Non-turbo 6V-71 running N-70 injectors is good for 250 horsepower at 2,300 rpm and a 8V-71 with the same injectors at 2,300 rpm is 333 horse power. Any chance of swapping that 8Vv for a 6V? It would possibly fit better too! Biggest thing you would need to know is does the "new" engine have a flywheel housing for a wet flywheel application? I'm assuming the H90C is very close to the design of say the H100C's I was familiar with.

  2. #2Kobe1302019-12-21 14:22

    Thanks kshansen. Looks to me as if the 8v71 and dvt573 are about the same size physically but the DD makes 318 hp compared to say 260 for the binder.

  3. #3Kobe1302019-12-21 14:28

    The hp difference is not too significant. My first concern is no parts available for the 573 or I might consider rebuilding it. Plenty of parts for the 8v71. I know some Hough H90cs had the little brother 6v71. I'm amazed that the engineers at Cornbinder got that 573 to make such low HP with twin turbos. Not familiar with the "wet bellhousing" issue. Thx again.

  4. #4kshansen2019-12-21 17:02

    Well if the H90 is set up the same as the H100 or H120 the converter is mounted directly to the flywheel housing and the normal leakage from the converter is drained back to the transmission. Also the hydraulic and transmission pumps are run off a gear on the converter housing and need the oil to lube them. Most engines that run the "wet" housing have double lip seals for the rear main seal, one lip seals the engine oil in the engine and the other lip facing the other direction seals the transmission oil from getting into the engine. Some times there is a drain line from bottom of the flywheel housing going back to the transmission other times that line is from the converter case. This also means the starter has to have a seal installed on the armature shaft, which is more or less standard but some rebuilders are sloppy about those, and stater has to be installed with gasket or at least sealant on the mounting surfaces.

  5. #5john stewart2019-12-22 04:34

    Hey Kobe130 I have a h120c which i put an 8-71t in, it worked out all right, just had to machine up adapter for flywheel. The larger 817 inter engine had the same sized bell housing as the 8-71, so it made it easy. Just wondered if your torque converter was smaller, then you would have to find matching bellhousing for 8-71? john

  6. #6Kobe1302019-12-22 12:40

    Thanks guys. Good to hear somebody else has done this. With the dvt573 being obsolete and so few made repowering is the best option I think. I will have to wait until I get it apart to find out the details.

  7. #7kshansen2019-12-22 17:57

    Not sure what might be available up Winnipeg way but if you could locate a H90 with a Detroit even if it was in bad condition it might be a good source for some parts like flywheel and housing. Heck even if you find one with the engine seized it would give you a good head start! And you could also drop down one size on the injectors in the 8V71 to save the drive train in the H90!

  8. #8Kobe1302019-12-26 01:24

    That is a good idea. Millions of Detroits were built but they seem to be rapidly disappearing. I've advertised fer parts but not much response.

  9. #9Kobe1302019-12-26 13:10

    I have an 8v71 which would have to be rebuilt but I also have a used but good running Cat 3176. I'm tempted to use it. Might be a tad long for the H90 engine room but wonder if I could make her fit.