Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo MC110 Starting Problems

searcyfarms ยท 2016-09-11 15:10

Hi folks, Greetings and a Beautiful Fall Day here in the KC area. I have a question. I purchased a used Volvo MC110 - I sold my Scat Trak 1700C - issues with getting parts. Oh, if you need a serial number is MC110P60066 I use my Volvo for Farm work mainly, CRP upkeep, Hay Loading/Feeding, Trees/Brush, Logs for firewood, it love my skidsteer for versatility. So....to my question, Turn Key, I get a faint click like a poor connection. When I bought it, it would not start occasionally, then I would tap on starter or solenoid that is on top of starter and it would start most times. Took it and had it totally rebuilt, new solenoid, bushings, drive gear, everything. So.......mine has the battery between your feel in front. It has a disconnect switch to kill power going back to the starter etc..... So I put the rebuilt starter back in yest. I didn't write things down well and its been a couple weeks and I don't remember well how it all went however I think I have it pretty well wired but still having same problem of not turning motor over. then I get out my volt meter and am looking at the wiring and notice the wire going to the starter is going to the negative side of the battery, it goes through the cut out switch between your feet by the battery and the positive side appears to go to the bolt that the starter mounts to, now I am second guessing EVERYTHING!!!! Does anyone know what the wires should look like, I can send pictures. My Scat Trak had this same kind of issue, it would click click click when you turn the key and then start.......or click click and blow the fuse if you kept the key turned. Now this MC110 just clicks - Has anyone experienced this, any ideas and also anyone that can verify this negative/positive thing - lights work like they should and the stupid beeper makes it usual annoying tone when u turn the key. I am so confused.......I know I know I should have written things down and taken better pictures. thanks in advance Robert

Replies5
  1. #1searcyfarms2016-09-11 18:06

    Well, I have some news...........I paid for and downloaded a manual online for servicing the mc80/90/110 and it shows the negative cable going to ground WTH, it appears someone wired this thing up backwards, is that a big deal?

  2. #2searcyfarms2016-09-11 18:09

    wouldn't that make the engine turn over backwards ? has my engine been running backwards?

  3. #3Delmer2016-09-11 18:41

    Yes it's a big deal that it's wired up backwards, the fusible link to your alternator is blown if you're lucky, the alternator is blown if you're not lucky. No, it probably wouldn't cause the engine to turn backwards, some starters will turn the same direction hooked backwards, some will turn backwards but the bendix won't turn the engine backwards. Pretty sure your engine has not been running backwards. There is a remote possibility that it WAS hooked up the same way you have it, and worked because the battery had been hooked up backwards while dead and charged backwards so the posts were mislabled. Seems pretty simple, negative to ground, positive to the solenoid, and see what it does.

  4. #4searcyfarms2016-09-11 19:49

    so all of the other wires should stay in the same places? there are several of them so I am not quite sure what to think of all that. there are two posts on the starter/solenoid I can add some pictures if needed - I cant believe someone did this - so I should probably check the battery with my volt meter too before hooking up and see if the positive and negative/polarity are correct on it with nothing hooked up. It makes me wonder what else is burned up. I do know the fuel gauge has never worked on it either, this might have something to do with it as well as some of the idiot lights - wow what a deal - I hope things are not too messed up. Anyone else with other ideas or an idea of where things hook up on the starter?

  5. #5Delmer2016-09-11 21:36

    Any other wire that is black and goes to ground should be hooked to the negative terminal. Any that don't go to ground should be traced to see where they go, and most likely they're supposed to be on the positive terminal.